Drury picks an Assistant General Manager. Who's it going to be?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I read that article. Eric Duhatschek believes the Rangers should hire Weekes to be the team president. Why would Drury accept that after Dolan gave him both jobs? He wrote the Rangers should split the president and GM duties. Does this organization need more turmoil?

I don't like Weekes. He has a sketchy background.

This story from many years ago. The Canucks believe Weekes faked a knee injury. Weekes made up a story about being robbed because he was late for a game.

The story was wild.

Why Kevin Weekes was traded by the Canucks | Vancouver Sun

Brian Burke wrote about this in his book as well.

He said Weekes was one of the more unpopular players he’s had on his teams. Teammates hated him.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I read that article. Eric Duhatschek believes the Rangers should hire Weekes to be the team president. Why would Drury accept that after Dolan gave him both jobs? He wrote the Rangers should split the president and GM duties. Does this organization need more turmoil?

I don't like Weekes. He has a sketchy background.

This story from many years ago. The Canucks believe Weekes faked a knee injury. Weekes made up a story about being robbed because he was late for a game.

The story was wild.

Why Kevin Weekes was traded by the Canucks | Vancouver Sun
Does anyone remember an incident in 2005 when it was reported that all 4 rims of his truck were stolen at either the first day of training camo or at the press conference to welcome him to the Rangers organization? Did a search but couldn't find it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It will be Bern.

We're about to rack up 3rd round picks and collect defensive prospects.

Appreciate that I was nominated, and that idea was liked.

The old saying goes,
if nominated I will not run,
If elected I will not serve

Even if this seriously were for real, unavailable due to higher obligation I will share with you all shortly.

However, I can do occasional part time creative consultant.

First line will be Synergy-Kratvsov-Gauthier
2nd line Krieder - Nieves - Synergy
Lindy, I know you know better.
our top line [rated so b'c it gets most mins due to Panarin on it] is
Kakko-Kravtsov-Panarin

next should be
LaF-Chytil-Gauthier

Kreider will benefit from reduced mins on 3rd line

Boo was the correct call at the time, and they were still wrong for not trying it THEN.
Nieves has 4 concussions, is my understanding, so setting aside any other question as to what options NY has now which they clearly did not have then (another reason why I remain right to have pushed that), Boo is no longer an option. Boo hoo.

Whoever it is that comes in, and I assume it won’t be just one person, I sincerely hope one of them has legit FO experience.

While I do trust Drury, with losing JG and JD, that’s decades of experience that was booted out the door.

Futa is interesting. Maybe he’d take a non GM spot just to get back in the mix. He was with LA for 15 years or so.

One thing that needs to be emphasized is not just managerial aspects and the trades, but continuing the lights out great drafting we got from GMJG with input from JD.

Messier may be fine for a coach, but we need a draft guru.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am not understanding the Chris Drury Saturday/weekend references. Can someone clarify.
Years ago when he played here we went up 4-0 in the Caps right before Christmas and lost 5-4 in OT. Afterwards, he basically said he wasn't going to let it ruin his holiday break and that his teammates wouldn't, either. Some people never got over it and some people also think it still makes for a funny joke (it doesn't).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Greeley was viewed as ambitious. Greeley spent two years with the Rangers. He accepted the AGM job in Buffalo. Aa soon as Greeley has the Sabres AGM, Greeley is talking to Carolina about their GM job.

That's the opposite of Gorton and Drury. Both of them could have left the Rangers for better opportunities.

Greeley was fired in Buffalo last spring. I couldn't find anything about him working somewhere this season. Maybe Covid played a role there. Buffalo still owed him money. He took it easy this season.

I'm fine with him coming back to the org as long as he wasn't part of the Kovacs/Sareela/Zborovsky draft year. Three complete headcases.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Jeff has some resume. He'll be a GM again within a year. Maybe this summer.

Fire that numbnuts in Calgary. JD goes with Jeff?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210508-112355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508-112355_Chrome.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 6

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why does every front office position have to be filled with a former player? I remember a while back someone making the point that they NHL has a disproportionate amount of execs as former players compared to other leagues. Why is that? And is that a good thing?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Why does every front office position have to be filled with a former player? I remember a while back someone making the point that they NHL has a disproportionate amount of execs as former players compared to other leagues. Why is that? And is that a good thing?
It is if your name is Yzerman or Sakic. I think it’s hit or miss but certainly not a condition. Rep and relationships mean a lot. I remember what a shit show Espo was, couldn’t have Sunday pasta dinner without a trade first.

Reactions: bernmeister

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
My dad used to say that great players made the worst coaches because they have an expectation that you can naturally do things they did. Can you imagine Messier in the locker room down 2 and says, ok guys somebody score a hat trick.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
It should be Steve Valiquette. He’s a bright guy who obviously watches the details of the game plus he seems to love working for the Rangers. He’s so much more passionate about the team when he talks about them versus the vanilla attitudes of guys like John Gianonne and Al Trautwig when he was here.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the first thing i'm wondering is do they hire 2 different people for AGM in ny to help drury and another to be the GM of hartford. or does the new guy pull double duty like drury was...

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
f*** Messier. He’s been talking shit for 15 years and never once got a job. Never made an effort to coach, or scout, or work in a front office. He’s not remotely qualified. Imagine the arrogance of not being part of the league for 15 years and thinking you can waltz into an AGM, GM or president position?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
f*** Messier. He’s been talking shit for 15 years and never once got a job. Never made an effort to coach, or scout, or work in a front office. He’s not remotely qualified. Imagine the arrogance of not being part of the league for 15 years and thinking you can waltz into an AGM, GM or president position?
Him quitting the org after losing out on the coaching job to AV was all world snowflake behavior

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
If Pegula has any marbles he’s calling both JD and JG
I thought the same thing, but someone (maybe a Sabres fan more knowledgeable about their situation) posted that Buffalo isn't going to fire Adams after only one year.

If I were Buffalo I'd hire JD and Gorton too. But last I read, the Pegulas don't believe in having a position in between them and the GM because they want the GM reporting directly to them. So they probably wouldn't even call JD.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Him quitting the org after losing out on the coaching job to AV was all world snowflake behavior
The organization has one Cup and its because of him. The people that disrespect him the way they do deserve the one cup in 70 years and the rest that rip him probably weren’t even alive to witness the ‘94 Cup.

Reactions: ArPanet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad