Drury picks an Assistant General Manager. Who's it going to be?

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Let me repeat, you have got to be kidding.

I want him nowhere near this team.

Fair enough. What about Mike Gillis or "Party On" Garth Snow? Frankly, I think the most important thing is for Drury to have a sounding board. He's never been an executive before and I don't think Sather is going to be there to show Drury the ropes.

Reactions: egelband

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
My impression of Mike Gillis was that he’s a good GM that won’t get another chance in the league because he’s not a member of the old boys club

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My impression of Mike Gillis was that he’s a good GM that won’t get another chance in the league because he’s not a member of the old boys club
It seems he would be very picky about what GM jobs he would take in the future, so I'm pretty sure an assistant GM job would be out of the question.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Fair enough. What about Mike Gillis or "Party On" Garth Snow? Frankly, I think the most important thing is for Drury to have a sounding board. He's never been an executive before and I don't think Sather is going to be there to show Drury the ropes.
Mike Gillis would be excellent if he was willing to accept the position. I have a lot of respect for him. Garth Snow, not so sure. He was pretty good at trades but bad at the draft table.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Mike Gillis would be excellent if he was willing to accept the position. I have a lot of respect for him. Garth Snow, not so sure. He was pretty good at trades but bad at the draft table.
Sounds perfect, think the Rangers might not be making a lot of draft picks in the coming years.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It seems he would be very picky about what GM jobs he would take in the future, so I'm pretty sure an assistant GM job would be out of the question.

Can be kind of a stop gap thing where he will be allowed to interview for any position he wants. Not sure we would want that though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Drury definitely get my approval for hiring a coach in Gallant who might not always stay in line with management orders nor stay silient if he thinks something must be done.

I would definitely love to see the AGM and also one of Turks assistants have a lot of experience and a great track record.

I don’t know these guys and have no clue if they could work or not. But guys like Babcock, Hartley and co, the they do know what it takes and won’t buy any strategy based on wishful thinking. Babcock as the AGM? As an assistant to Turk? Think he would be an excellent choice. Hopefully Drury is out there trying to find the best possible hockey mind dangling a big bag of money. Of course possible that some of these bigger names just could be too big a holes or have zero interest in not being the top guy, but we should be looking at least.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Can be kind of a stop gap thing where he will be allowed to interview for any position he wants. Not sure we would want that though.
Don't see him wanting that. He's a very rich man. He doesn't need to work if it's not his ideal opportunity. Don't think he'd enjoy our owner.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
What about John Tortorella as the assistant manager? He is evidently into management now and would bring experience and flame to the organization in an entirely different role - which I think would be useful. I heard that name yesterday and thought about it all night…

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
What about John Tortorella as the assistant manager? He is evidently into management now and would bring experience and flame to the organization in an entirely different role - which I think would be useful. I heard that name yesterday and thought about it all night…

I don't like how he left CBJ in smoking ruins with burnt out players not enjoying their hockey.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Definitely, I would love him as an assistant GM. He would at least have been perfect for Gorton. Simply, won’t let unrealistic plans be put in action without raising big concerns.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
John Chayka? :sarcasm: Garth Snow? :sarcasm:

Peter Chiarelli and Mike Gillis would be decent sounding boards for Drury

I know I’m in the minority, but I honestly wouldn’t have minded Brian Burke as AGM if he didn’t end up in Pittsburgh. I guess your concern there would just be that you were confident there wouldn’t a power struggle between an old timer and brand new GM.

Finalis

Jul 3, 2021
As someone who lived thru Peter Chiarelli's time in Edmonton, no one should want Chiarelli anywhere near a team they want to be successful.

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

My concern with him is that he seems to have a strong overbearing personality... how would that mesh with a relatively young guy whose a new and first time GM? You need someone who can work in a tandem and doesn’t try to take over. I’m not sure I see Torts as that guy...

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
What about John Tortorella as the assistant manager? He is evidently into management now and would bring experience and flame to the organization in an entirely different role - which I think would be useful. I heard that name yesterday and thought about it all night

Just for clarification…you heard Torts in connection with the AGM job specifically? Or just that he’s in the market for FO role?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I have to say that at this point, I’m a little surprised/concerned that we’ve had no movement in Drurys FO positions.

Friedman mentioned about a month ago that interest around the league for working with Drury/NYR was high, that hasn’t proven out so far.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have to say that at this point, I’m a little surprised/concerned that we’ve had no movement in Drurys FO positions.

Friedman mentioned about a month ago that interest around the league for working with Drury/NYR was high, that hasn’t proven out so far.
There's no reason to really hire one right now. We can't do anything with the roster until the current season is over.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
There's no reason to really hire one right now. We can't do anything with the roster until the current season is over.

Fair, but the draft is what? 3 weeks away? Wouldn’t you want your crew settled by now?

It’s not a red alert, but it’s at least eyebrow raising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad