Drury picks an Assistant General Manager. Who's it going to be?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Absolutely needs to NOT be another former player. This needs to be a guy who has been around the block before, maybe even as a former GM somewhere.
I mean the point of this position is to fill gaps that our existing gm doesn’t. It’s also a steppingstone job.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd like someone who is smart with the cap, good with the CBA. An analytical guy who really gets the business side of things.

Valiquette is a really smart guy who is very adept at analyzing what's happening on the ice, but someone like him seems more suited to a player development or scouting role than AGM.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Possible candidates to join Drury's front office.

Daniel Briere. He has been running the Maine Mariners. The Rangers have an association with them. Briere was Drury's former teammate in Buffalo.

Steve Greeley. He worked for the Rangers in 2015-16 and 2016-17. Assistant director of player personnel. Greeley left the Rangers to become the Sabres AGM for three years. He was fired last May. Greeley is another BU guy. He scouted for the LA Kings.

Mike Futa. He has no association with Drury. Futa worked for the Kings in various roles under Dean Lombardi when they became a championship team. Futa has a good reputation. Rob Blake promoted him to AGM. The Kings didn't renew his contract last spring. Futa did some work for Sportsnet. His name was mentioned for a possible position with the Canucks earlier this season.

The Kings had all of those young players and they turned them into Richards and Carter. The Kings won two Cups in three years. The Rangers are looking to make similar moves. The Rangers were making these moves eventually even if Gorton was still the GM.

Anyone else?

Here are some actual ideas.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I remember Futa being mentioned for openings and Greeley too. Futa was in the running for the Carolina GM job before they hired Waddell and interviewed with Florida last year for their GM job. He was also a candidate to replace Rutherford in Pittsburgh. Guy seems highly regarded, just not enough to get a GM job yet.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I mean the point of this position is to fill gaps that our existing gm doesn’t. It’s also a steppingstone job.
Not every AGM is in the stepping stone phase of his career. It's not just about filling gaps it's also about counsel, ideas, having a sounding board for issues, etc. Would help if that person was someone with prior managerial experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad