Drury picks an Assistant General Manager. Who's it going to be?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If I remember correctly, Kevin Weekes also insinuated back in 2005 that the reason fans wanted Lundqvist to start over him was for reasons unrelated to hockey.

I hope he never felt that way. I remember in 2005-06 per Carp his jeep had hubcaps and some other items stolen of it in Rye. I told him via Twitter years later sorry he had to go through that.

Look, every team has some idiot fans. I used to run into Washington and Philly bros all the time when I was in college. They'd say some really stupid things about Chris Simon that unfortunately are still being dealt with today through other players like Ethan Bear. And that was when Washington was winning the lame SouthEast Division every year and would do the J.O.B. to one of the Atlantic Teams in Round One.

It's super hard to be in his position. Tony McKegney had a rough time his entire career.

The thing with Weekes though, I was at Opening Night 2005 when he let in a soft goal to Montreal in OT. He was a good goalie who was prone to being streaky. Reminded me a lot of Beezer. Lundqvist was the better goalie that year.

He still has the distinction of single handedly ending the dark ages by backstopping the Rangers to that shoot out win over Philly when Lundqvist was injured.

CaptainBlueshirt

Aug 2, 2005
For what reason?

In not so many words when he was in VAN the team was down 1 goalie and had an emergency backup and Weekes claimed he was hurt so the team was shelled. Supposedly Messier cursed him out and told Burke he never wanted to see Weekes play again.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Early names that have come up include: Trevor Georgie of Saint John in the Q, Scott Nichol from Nashville, Ryan Hardy from Chicago of the USHL and and Rob DiMaio from St. Louis.

Great stuff Edge!

I love these names, very very refreshing to not see a bunch of names that have connections to everyone.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Great stuff Edge!

I love these names, very very refreshing to not see a bunch of names that have connections to everyone.
Yeah, right? Ron Low’s kid. John Muckler’s cousin. Lucien Deblois’ son-in-law, John Ogrodnick’s shrink. It’s truly an incestuous industry. NEW BLOOD.

Reactions: Shadowtron and Ola

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
In not so many words when he was in VAN the team was down 1 goalie and had an emergency backup and Weekes claimed he was hurt so the team was shelled. Supposedly Messier cursed him out and told Burke he never wanted to see Weekes play again.

Also don't forget the bananas carjacking/mugging story as an explanation for being late:
According to sources, Weekes told the coaching staff and team security he’d been robbed. His story went like this.
On his way to the game, he’d gone into a dry cleaner in downtown Vancouver to pick up some items he’d dropped off earlier. When he walked out of the shop, he was approached by a man.
”Are you Kevin Weekes?” the man allegedly asked.
”Yes.”
”Follow me,” he said.
At this point, Weekes told coaches and team security, the robber hopped in his car and started driving.
Weekes hopped in his and followed the guy across the Granville Street Bridge to an alley somewhere in the Granville Island area.

The guy asked for any money Weekes was carrying and the player handed over several hundred dollars in bills. There was no gun involved.
And that, said Kevin Weekes, was why he was late.

Why Kevin Weekes was traded by the Canucks | Vancouver Sun

A better suggestion for reasons for being late:

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainBlueshirt

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Pat LaFontaine ....left Buffalo head office when they traded Drury....and Gallant was his bodyguard in Junior for a stretch during a Memorial Cup run. Just slapping pucks at the net. :)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Brian Burke wrote in his book that Weekes was a very unpopular guy in Vancouver.

Kevin Weekes was also a kid inn Vancouver. He was out of there when he was 23-24 which was half his life ago and people grow up.

Plus let's be fair, Burke is a known curmudgeon and those Vancouver teams were very dysfunctional. Keenan/Crawford years. Say Keenan/Crawford years three times. LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad