Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
FWIW - There have been rumors making the rounds, there’s been abuse directed at Drouin’s parents.

Hope this isn't true.

Oh god brisebois.... He was so much ridiculed during his last years with MTL and after that at TVA sport..... Really suck for him cause he seems like a genuine human.

I always thought that was amongst the most shameful things Habs fans did, along with the banana throwing.

Personally, I basically draw the line with message boards. There's an unwritten assumption that players aren't supposed to read the shit we post. There's something more vicious about the personal and public nature of going all out on radio/tv/the arena/daily life.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
And even if he doesn't see any of this (realistically he never will) he is aware that this is what people think of him when he plays poorly and that they are quite vicious and hateful. It definitely eats away at a player. It's not about being "weak" mentally either. I'm willing to bet people have harassed him on the street as well

I remember seeing Mario Jean at "La Ronde" with his family when I was younger and people wouldn't leave him alone. And then you'd hear "damn, he's kinda rude ... thought he would be funnier ..."

Some people have no shame in real life. Can the guy just enjoy his day like wtf.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wish him all the best. It's hard being a Franco in this city and Drouin's been as much a target as anyone I've seen not named Brisebois. I mean, I'm a Habs fan and want to see the best from the players, but they're all human in the end and you can't but feel for then when they go through rough patches.

Remember Shaw's comments last summer about Danault? Shaw defended Danault and spoke on the level of attack the French guys gets in Montreal. It's a real thing and some are ignorant and feel they have the right as fans to attack them personally and it's constant.... over and over again. Spins out of control.

Passion to want our team to be better vs too much aggression and disrespect. Some are not comprehending this tricky line well.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's likely done with Montreal. Hopefully he gets better with what he's dealing with has success with a better developing organization.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Not surprising. He's getting the Richer/Brisebois treatment this season. The media and social media must have affected him very much. Wish him the best, hopefully he'll get traded after this season. Would be best for him and for the team.
I disagree, both richer and brisbois, performed more often then not, heck richer was a 50 goal scorer.
In his case, he did not and was clear the effort was not there. Also he been shielded by the media more then they were ever shielded

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Hope this isn't true.

I always thought that was amongst the most shameful things Habs fans did, along with the banana throwing.

Personally, I basically draw the line with message boards. There's an unwritten assumption that players aren't supposed to read the shit we post. There's something more vicious about the personal and public nature of going all out on radio/tv/the arena/daily life.

This is a public forum. The GDT's consist mainly of vicious insults towards the players, one reason I can never read them. I sincerely don't understand the need to instantly insult players the moment they make a bad play. And it reflects poorly on our fan base I would say, its a microcosm of a larger problem that extends to other areas of public life. The only reason it's an "unwritten assumption" is that it justifies the behaviour.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I think Seattle would be an amazing place for Drouin to restart his career.Maybe something can be worked out with respect to the expansion draft.I think he would thrive in a new and obscure American market with no expectations on his shoulders to be the next great French superstar.The habs need to cut their losses and move on from Jonathan Drouin for themselves and for his own mental well being.He seems like a nice kid who tries his best but will never live up to the lofty expectations placed upon him by us crazy hab's fans and the insane French media. I hope he gets better soon and gets back on the ice when he's ready. When he's on his game he's supremely talened and fun to watch and the league is more entertaining with Drouin in it.

Reactions: Vachon23

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Danault after practice.

Translation:
I know what it's like to play in Montreal. It's his life. I am worried about him. He's my friend. We're both Quebecers playing for the Canadiens. But sometimes, there are things more important than hockey.

Translation:
It's easy to say we don't listen to anything. But you do end up hearing things. When things don't go right, you get knocked down a lot and it becomes difficult to lift yourself up. You end up taking some things personally.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I remember seeing Mario Jean at "La Ronde" with his family when I was younger and people wouldn't leave him alone. And then you'd hear "damn, he's kinda rude ... thought he would be funnier ..."

Some people have no shame in real life. Can the guy just enjoy his day like wtf.

"They get paid million of $" doesn't mean they aren't still human. It's not an easy job, especially when there are people who believe it's okay to treat them like objects.
Once you start to directly send hate towards the player and family, line is crossed.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
...People = trash.

Many humans are one big herd of sheep or bandwagon party... One sheep decides to act like a bully and others get influenced and follow. Some others see this and then double down on the attack. Noise on top of noise and it spins.

I hope this is not what's at play with Drouin and his personal life and family. If so, I call all genuine Habs fans to call those out of line fans out when they see it. I refuse to let a few bad apples ruin things.

Reactions: Paddy17 and MXD

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
He's never gonna live up to the expectations people have of him to be the home town hero, trading him to a smaller market where he wont have that weight on his shoulders is probably the best thing for him if he continues to play.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
3 bullet points from me :

• I really hope Drouin gets all the help he needs. Mental health, if that's the reason, is no joke at all
  • Disclaimer : This is not an attempt at downgrading Drouin vs other players. It makes me appreciate Carey Price even more. Can you imagine dealing with this kind of pressure for the last decade+. We talk about the pressure Quebecers have (rightfully so) but Price is the equivalent of Quebecers on roids 24/7.
  • Give me a warning if needed but I won't filter my words: for those downgrading/laughing at Drouin and/or posting that hockey related things are more important than mental/physical health/family, you can go fu** yourself & you are a terrible human being.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Something is up. He was actually playing good hockey the first 25 games then just fell off a cliff. Hope it’s not too serious of an issue.

Yeah, that’s a pretty keen observation. I thought he was arguably our best forward the first 20 games or so and then something changed with him and he just hasn’t looked good other than the odd burst since.

I wish him well and hope he can get help for whatever the problem is.

Reactions: Demon Wolf

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
He's never gonna live up to the expectations people have of him to be the home town hero, trading him to a smaller market where he wont have that weight on his shoulders is probably the best thing for him if he continues to play.

Bergevin sold him as a superstar just to use him as our 1st C by default.

The expectations were set by the GM himself.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Attacking someone private life for hockey is absolute trash
fully agree, but his comment about assists when the team is losing and he sucking is calling the attention to himself.
Though nothing justifies personal life attacks

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Attacking someone private life for hockey is absolute trash

1000% agree. Most of us are good people from what I can see and I think our fan base is good overall but those bad apples man. They see criticism from others and then feel the right to double down on it... and feel proud that they did. They should be ashamed if this is what actually is at play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad