Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If anything it will help it.

You can explain away his poor play from being impacted by the market and could be a reclamation project for a team with no expectations. Create some doubt that it isn't the fact he's just not a very good hockey player.
Good! I was afraid that the trade we made for him would result in nothing.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sure i wont be affected by him, but the irony him saying that we should support drouin and that we all shit to be talking against him toughing it out, yet he shits on a person on this board who just said had severe issues with mental issues even with suicidal thoughts in the past, without knowing him and that just cause he is an executive.
Not sharp is you ask me.
There is a lot of spin on this board, I see it all the time. Those that complain about so called negativity are often the first to hurl insults as it if it wasn't a worse thing to do than anything that you or I could ever say here when commenting on a hockey game or player. People take themselves too seriously.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Yeah, you wont see this guy in a habs jersey again. Thats pretty much over and done with

I get taking time off because youre horribly depressed by all the backlash youre getting, but at the same time its like dude you could of scored more than 2 goals too.. C'est ta faute aussi

Wish him the best, whatever he does or where he goes
You don't know about that. For all we know, he could have been depressed for years. It's an illness that creeps in and installs itself within you without really noticing. It sucks your life and energy out of you and before you know it, everything you once did easily becomes more difficult. So you lose your confidence and self-esteem and the pattern worsens enough that you're caught into a spiral. Don't forget that there is a biochemical component to the ailment. I've been frustrated with him as much as anyone else, but I could see him try. And when you try and don't succeed while you're depressed, it's exponentially worse than for a regular person. The fact that he's had to take a break speaks volumes. If it was only something he was going through over the last couple of months, he could have gone through it until the end of the season at least. I know because I've been there. I had to take a leave from work for 6 months. And in retrospect, I probably should have stayed out longer because typically your leave of absence should be sort of correlated to the duration of time that you have endured the illness. Someone who has suffered it for 10 years will take longer to recover than someone who has been suffering it for 1 year. Saying it's his fault is very inaccurate and uninformed.

My feeling based on my own unprofessional experience is that this may have started during his situation in Tampa that led to him being traded.

Reactions: BLONG7 and le_sean

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Imagine showing up to work every day and having fans who boo you? And you hear it at home too? You would have to be really thick skinned to be able to handle that for years! Comical or not, it can affect anyone

Who was booing Drouin? He’s had it easy. Guys like Price, Theodore, Brisebois, and even Roy have/had fans ready to lynch them at any moment. To say Drouin’s faced the same treatment is a spit in the face to the guys who have actually had to deal with the real pressures of playing here.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Who was booing Drouin? He’s had it easy. Guys like Price, Theodore, Brisebois, and even Roy have/had fans ready to lynch them at any moment. To say Drouin’s faced the same treatment is a spit in the face to the guys who have actually had to deal with the real pressures of playing here.
He had it very very easy compared to the ones you named.

PS. Le sean, this above post shows no empathy. No need to waste space and bore posters by posting it again

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm saying Price went for the max deal and his level of play is nowhere near his cap hit. I feel Drouin's production is closer to his cap hit than Price but it appears Drouin gets more pressure. But spin it as you wish

Drouin's had it rough but it's not even close to what Price has endured. In fact, very few pro athletes have ever endured more pressure than Carey Price and over such a long period.

Thank god much better these days, but you are right, i had no choice, i had a very good but demanding job and if let go, i and my family would suffer and my career would be wrecked, so got professional help and toughed it out.
You know what, life is not easy. Back to drouin, had he not engaged in the assist reply, or left his team in tampa , maybe i look at this differently but with his track record. sorry but i dont see an excuse for him.

You have no idea what his current situation is.

Bro, personally by name, they even once got hold of my home phone number and insulted my wife as i was traveling. It happens way more then people realize ,as we dont have the media reporting on our lives but the abuse is still there, but it come with the territory, if you on a public company's board , you in public life and idiots do exist, i just block it, and do my job to the best of my ability

My sympathies regarding your episodes which I'm sure were brutal but do you really expect anyone to believe that your situation on the board of a public company is anywhere close to the same ballpark (or planet) as what Drouin has faced from the Montreal Canadiens media and maniac fan base? Most of the deranged psychos who obsess with Habs players/management as though it's life or death wouldn't even know where to look for stocks in your company.

And when we finally had someone able to thrive in it (Subban) he was driven out by a jealous General Manager.

I loved PK and hated the trade at the time but in hindsight I have no problem with it. PK fell faster and harder than the older Weber and it's obvious that Weber is more respected by his teammates.

Reactions: le_sean

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Drouin's had it rough but it's not even close to what Price has endured. In fact, very few pro athletes have ever endured more pressure than Carey Price and over such a long period.

You have no idea what his current situation is.

My sympathies regarding your episodes which I'm sure were brutal but do you really expect anyone to believe that your situation on the board of a public company is anywhere close to the same ballpark (or planet) as what Drouin has faced from the Montreal Canadiens media and maniac fan base? Most of the deranged psychos who obsess with Habs players/management as though it's life or death wouldn't even know where to look for stocks in your company.

I loved PK and hated the trade at the time but in hindsight I have no problem with it. PK fell faster and harder than the older Weber and it's obvious that Weber is more respected by his teammates.

Of course i dont, but we dont know yet that it is mental illness, and again i started my conversation saying if info comes to that then i am wrong.

Pk is was and will always be a winner. Weber has yet to prove that and i doubt he will become one with age.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You don't know about that. For all we know, he could have been depressed for years. It's an illness that creeps in and installs itself within you without really noticing. It sucks your life and energy out of you and before you know it, everything you once did easily becomes more difficult. So you lose your confidence and self-esteem and the pattern worsens enough that you're caught into a spiral. Don't forget that there is a biochemical component to the ailment. I've been frustrated with him as much as anyone else, but I could see him try. And when you try and don't succeed while you're depressed, it's exponentially worse than for a regular person. The fact that he's had to take a break speaks volumes. If it was only something he was going through over the last couple of months, he could have gone through it until the end of the season at least. I know because I've been there. I had to take a leave from work for 6 months. And in retrospect, I probably should have stayed out longer because typically your leave of absence should be sort of correlated to the duration of time that you have endured the illness. Someone who has suffered it for 10 years will take longer to recover than someone who has been suffering it for 1 year. Saying it's his fault is very inaccurate and uninformed.

My feeling based on my own unprofessional experience is that this may have started during his situation in Tampa that led to him being traded.
Years ago, as a teenager, Drouin suffered from mental health issues, while playing in Halifax....very wide known. This just didn't start this year....Bergevin would have had to be living under a rock to not know.......if he was struggling in Tampa, as he probably was, getting traded to Montreal essentially ended his career.
Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: Puck Luck Run Amok

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
He has is right to privacy but man this open up a door for lot of assumptions, like in the Rask situation.

I wish him well, whatever he's going through.

On negative criticism. I don't think he was crucified the way Brisebois, Subban, Koivu, Eller, Pacioretty, Price, Theodore were. It always seemed to me the harsher critics were on this board and not in the media (at least not the french one). Always felt he was protected because he was un petit gars d'ici. And no sane professionnal hockey player should come on this forum.

mbz

Jun 10, 2008
Moncton, NB
Did not read all 20 pages but why is everyone assuming that he's experiencing burnout? Did I miss an interview or something?

My first thought went to something happening with family - Covid related, other sickness, tragedy, etc.

In any case, wish him the best
If you watch Danault’s presser today and read between the lines, it sounds like the fans and media got to Drouin and caused some mental problems on his end to the point he couldn’t take it anymore. Could be totally wrong though.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Of course i dont, but we dont know yet that it is mental illness, and again i started my conversation saying if info comes to that then i am wrong.

Pk is was and will always be a winner. Weber has yet to prove that and i doubt he will become one with age.

Haha! You speak as in absolutes. Drouin should gut it out like you did as if all situations and people are the same.

Your next line about PK/Weber is every bit as head scratching. What has PK won that Weber hasn't? Other than possibly helping NJ secure the NHL's best odds at this year's draft lottery?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Haha! You speak as in absolutes. Drouin should gut it out like you did as if all situations and people are the same.

Your next line about PK/Weber is every bit as head scratching. What has PK won that Weber hasn't? Other than possibly helping NJ secure the NHL's best odds at this year's draft lottery?
He took a nashvile team to a cup final, something weber failed to do there.
And as a captain of the habs, we can sure see how much he led by example, and how much success we had.
by the time that Pk reached NJ he declined a ton. Weber did not decline as fast. But in their prime, PK had way more success then weber

Reactions: MasterD

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
He took a nashvile team to a cup final, something weber failed to do there.
And as a captain of the habs, we can sure see how much he led by example, and how much success we had.
by the time that Pk reached NJ he declined a ton. Weber did not decline as fast. But in their prime, PK had way more success then weber

Your definition of a winner is certainly subjective and up for debate. Much like your opinion of how someone deals with personal adversity.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

A Norris trophy.

(he also went much further in playoffs and more often than Weber ever did)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Wish Drouin the best.
Use the team resources and get some help if needed. Mental Health is a very serious issue and althou society has come a long way in recognizing, accepting and providing necessary help for the issue it can still be stigmatized and tough to open up n get help. These public examples hopefully help.highlight it can be any1 anytime.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
He has is right to privacy but man this open up a door for lot of assumptions, like in the Rask situation.

On negative criticism. I don't think he was crucified the way Brisebois, Subban, Koivu, Eller, Pacioretty, Price, Theodore were. It always seemed to me the harsher critics were on this board and not in the media (at least not the french one). Always felt he was protected because he was un petit gars d'ici. And no sane professionnal hockey player should come on this forum.

I think the issue with Drou-Drou is that maybe he feels like he failed as a hockey player? He came in with all the hype in the world. I’m sure he had some really high expectations but he’s down on himself for not reaching that level.

It’s true that he never felt the heat like Koivu, Price and Pacioretty but I think his issue is more the fact that he knows he should be a superstar and he’s currently failing.

He doesn’t feel professionally fulfilled, he wanted to be a superstar for his childhood team and instead he’s failing. It can be tough, I honestly wish him nothing but the best and hope he sorts out whatever issues he’s having.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005

Subban????? The guy was revered in Montreal, never crucified.

Reactions: rickthegoon

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I think the issue with Drou-Drou is that maybe he feels like he failed as a hockey player? He came in with all the hype in the world. I’m sure he had some really high expectations but he’s down on himself for not reaching that level.

It’s true that he never felt the heat like Koivu, Price and Pacioretty but I think his issue is more the fact that he knows he should be a superstar and he’s currently failing.

He doesn’t feel professionally fulfilled, he wanted to be a superstar for his childhood team and instead he’s failing. It can be tough, I honestly wish him nothing but the best and hope he sorts out whatever issues he’s having.
It’s also possible that he never reached his potential due to mental illness. It’s really hard to self diagnose in your late teens/early 20s, especially when you’ve been a local superstar from very young.

Either way, hopefully all works well for the guy and we see an improved Drouin both in his personal and professional life soon in the future.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

True. He was seen as the next Guy Lafleur when he was traded. The media really hyped him a whole lot. Mismanagement in his first season didn't help much..

Reactions: CAUFIELD and the
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad