Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Yes.

It justifies fans who pay their hard earned money on merch, and waste their precious valuable time, following a team, for years and years.

100% disagree.

You really think money can buy you the right to be disrespectful, hateful and treat human being as merchandise ??

That's just not how I've been raised and how I see the world.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
100% disagree.

You really think money can buy you the right to be disrespectful, hateful and treat human being as merchandise ??

I don't know what kind of context you're looking at in, but unless someone has legit disdain and wants to physically harm the guy or wtv.. a little sh*t talking is perfectly fine.

In Montreal if a player is amazing, ala Kovalev, he will be a literal god.

If a player, who we know, and see has all the potential in the world ala Drouin, plays like a turtle, it is extremely frustrating.

It is what it is.

667ekip

Apr 17, 2021
I don't know what kind of context you're looking at in, but unless someone has legit disdain and wants to physically harm the guy or wtv.. a little sh*t talking is perfectly fine.

In Montreal if a player is amazing, ala Kovalev, he will be a literal god.

If a player, who we know, and see has all the potential in the world ala Drouin, plays like a turtle, it is extremely frustrating.

It is what it is.

... Kovalev got ripped appart from a lot of media and fan before his 80pts season. And even then, people always said he was lazy and took nights off.

Habs fans are cancerous.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
... Kovalev got ripped appart from a lot of media and fan before his 80pts season. And even then, people always said he was lazy and took nights off.

Habs fans are cancerous.
Whether they like it or not, players in huge markets become public figures and all the baggage that comes with it. If they can’t handle it they should choose a different profession.

Yes, they’re human like everyone else, but also professionals at their craft, which comes with expectations. And in the best league in the world, you’re expected to be among the elite, and that’s a perfectly valid expectation.

Reactions: tazsub3

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
End of the day, yes some people go too far being toxic against players and make it way too personal. On the flip side, if you are in the spotlight, you really need to actually avoid social media (not just say you do) as people are absolutely vicious and probably work with a psychiatrist regularly to maintain mental health. Hope Drouin gets out of this and comes out stronger for it...and most likely will need to be in another city.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
100% disagree.

I don’t disagree with the main point of your post. But weren’t you the guy bringing up Price going to rodeos during his time off in the offseason to talk down on him a few years ago? Were you raised to dump on what athletes do in their personal lives outside of the ice?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

Habs fans are cancerous.

If the fan base even lightweight hints at that with Jake Allen, the Habs are screwed.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Imagine being JD or a family member, browsing on HFBoards, opening the JD thread and reading this.

These are quotes from the JD thread, that have all been tolerated by the mods. These are just from the past 3-4 days, but there's dozen of pages of this crap. These posters continue doing their dirty work with impunity. I used to report them, but sadly, there are just too many. And the mods usually don't have the guts to ban them, because these posters are often popular and have a long history on this board.

Imagine the compilation one could put together of nasty over the top comments directed at our GM.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
lol very mature move ? For god sake he is paid million a year to play. He's a wuss
I work with so many smart, open-minded people every hour of every day. We always debate and engage respectfully. When my work day is done I spend time with my brilliant wife and my bright kids. Love and hope are infinite. Then I stop by here and read stuff like this, and I'm reminded that the general population includes people with repulsive opinions. Hope turns to despair.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think it’s a bit premature to say Drouin cracked under pressure. None of us know what’s going on, maybe COVID got to him, maybe family is having issues, maybe it’s hockey related. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt here and hopefully whatever he is going through is short term and he’s able to bounce back. He’s not a robot, he’s a professional, but he’s not immune from mental health issues or family issues just the same as none of us are.

it’s easy to sit here and say he wilted under pressure, but no one knows wtf is going on here.
Absolutely agree, but we are all allowed to review his play and performance on the ice for the past four years, and it has not been good. Nothing wrong with calling him out on that. He is the only one who can change his results, as he moves forward.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I disagree atm. In 3-4 years yes. But for now he's a 3rd overall pick, we paid the high price to get him and he's paid solid top 6 money. He's a professional. I mean some guys here goes a long way to defend him. Everyone without exception will get criticized when they are not doing their job properly. That's life and that's fine. I've seen people shit on 16 years old for being 16 years old and learning how a cash register works. That's way worse than complaining about a professional hockey player not doing good enough for his salary.

Nobody forced him to sign. He signed. Now he get criticized for not delivering. People who attack him personally are wrong and disgusting. But i've not seen a lot of that personally. It's more the exception than the rule. People complain about the hockey player. I'm sorry but really guys a 4 goals season over 82 games for a guy his skills and TOI is simply unheard off outside of Gomez. He'll get some time off and that's fine too. But he'll have to either find a way to deliver on the ice or re-evaluate his salary next contract if he wants to avoid being criticized professionally speaking.

Nobody gets paid 5 millions a year because he has mental health issues (if this is his problem he might have a cancer too but i don't see why they would keep that secret). If he can't find a way to deliver he'll have to re-evaluate where he wants to play (which league) and for how much. Do people really think he's the first guy playing for this team with mental health issue (if this is the problem). I can say with very close to 100% certitude than Malakov was more than likely a depressive guy.

The way I see hockey personnaly and I've been watching hockey a long time.

A player is a type of player until he proves us otherwise.

Ex.
Suzuki is a 45 / 55 pts player until he proves us otherwise. Expecting more from him this year was not fair for himself and us because we actually don't know where is ceiling is. But expecting more is us going over where he proved us he could be. It's not because a player is trending up that he'll automatically get there. Especially if the opportunities and icetime he get is harder in the second go around.

Ex.
Kotkaniemi is a 35 / 45 pts player. Potential is just potential until the player taps into that, but the fact is. There is nothing assuring us that the player in itself can get to that potential. Expecting more from him at the beginning of the season was a big mistake on Bergevin's part. He could not even cut it in the NHL last year...

In Drouin's case, it's even clearer because he IS older. So our echantillon is even better. The trend in Drouin always seems to be a good/ok beginning of the season followed by an injury or a slump which always bring him around 50 pts season. It's been 4 years that he is on that pattern. Why expect more from him. Plus, it's not like we don't know that he is not a grits and guts guy and he is not a defensive stalwarts. He plays like that since he's born. Expecting otherwise from him is simply not fair.

When Drouin is put on a line, I personally expect an offensive player that can cost us defensively. What I also know is that he is almost as valuable as Gallagher for the team right now and the fact that he in not there is being felt as much as the absence of Gallagher. (52 / 58 pts player but scores more goal and is a grits and guts guy and better defensively).

I'd personally still rather have Drouin KK Toffoli or Drouin Suzuki Caufield or any offensive line we can put up than what we can offer right now. He brings what he can and not more. Expect him to be him, not the superstar that we thought he could be.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Absolutely agree, but we are all allowed to review his play and performance on the ice for the past four years, and it has not been good. Nothing wrong with calling him out on that. He is the only one who can change his results, as he moves forward.
What makes it worst is not only results, but results and effort. Lekhonen bust his ass every shift goes to the net , he is sadly not gifted enough to scare, he don’t get the pressure that drou gets .
The problem with Drouin is he does not exode the feeling of care and doing the maximum he can , this opening him up for further criticism

Reactions: Forum93 and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What makes it worst is not only results, but results and effort. Lekhonen bust his ass every shift goes to the net , he is sadly not gifted enough to scare, he don’t get the pressure that drou gets .
The problem with Drouin is he does not exode the feeling of care and doing the maximum he can , this opening him up for further criticism
Couldn't agree more......and when he went rogue and arrogant on a reporter who asked him about his 2 goals, that's when it changed big time for him....people seemed to have had enough, not only does he seem to not care, but he is arrogant about it. Whether the organization was not happy about his comments, or others such as fans who knows...but this was his TSN turning point, to a pretty meh kind of season. He sent a message that some assists were fine, and he doesn't care what that reporter or anyone for that matter thinks...
Again, I wish him well, and hope he gets some help.............and at the same time, glad he is gone from the team, he was not helping them win games.

Reactions: tazsub3

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I have no problem calling a spade a spade when it comes to their on ice performance. He hasn’t been what we had hoped he would become. There is no question about that. Maybe that’s all him, maybe our expectations weren’t realistic, who’s to know. He hasn’t been great, but I still feel he’s a net positive on a team that struggles to generate offense. We are not better without him like many seem to think. He’s a 50-60 point player with tons of warts, but he can still be a valuable contributor to this club. The problem is, he’s not the type to drive the offense or be the focal point, he’s a decent secondary offensive player who has been criticize from the beginning for being just that. Maybe if we got him some f***ing help he would meet those expectations, maybe he still wouldn’t, but attacking the guys character and effort when he’s been playing hard is unfair IMO.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Hope he recoups well and take his time! All the best to him!

Unless you are Guy Lafleur, you will do well in Montreal... but even then... Remember when Stephane Richer was heckled? even though he scored 50!

Reactions: Megaforce

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Hope he recoups well and take his time! All the best to him!

Unless you are Guy Lafleur, you will do well in Montreal... but even then... Remember when Stephane Richer was heckled? even though he scored 50!
I always wondered ho Gomez felt. He was a meme before memes. And our suddenly righteous media was 100% on board with the Daily mockery.

Reactions: Megaforce

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Couldn't agree more......and when he went rogue and arrogant on a reporter who asked him about his 2 goals, that's when it changed big time for him....people seemed to have had enough, not only does he seem to not care, but he is arrogant about it. Whether the organization was not happy about his comments, or others such as fans who knows...but this was his TSN turning point, to a pretty meh kind of season. He sent a message that some assists were fine, and he doesn't care what that reporter or anyone for that matter thinks...
Again, I wish him well, and hope he gets some help.............and at the same time, glad he is gone from the team, he was not helping them win games.
Exactly, and you know what, had the team been winning and he getting assists, then might have passed, but with the team losing night after night, and he happy about the other column. Shit hit the fan as the expression goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad