Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Imagine being JD or a family member, browsing on HFBoards, opening the JD thread and reading this.

These are quotes from the JD thread, that have all been tolerated by the mods. These are just from the past 3-4 days, but there's dozen of pages of this crap. These posters continue doing their dirty work with impunity. I used to report them, but sadly, there are just too many. And the mods usually don't have the guts to ban them, because these posters are often popular and have a long history on this board.

If he google his name to come read stuff here, that's on him and him alone. Nothing here is addressed to him.

Now if people are harassing him on platform where they can get in direct contact with him or at the grocery store, then that's another matter completely.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
That H30 guy is a complete aberration — he’s a master thrasher and click bait artist — he’ll go to any length for a click. He gets away with posting a ton of unsupported garbage, lots of it personal.

The people who comment there are worst. I used to follow him in his first year but I went away quickly. Those so-called insiders make me sick

Reactions: Runner77

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Reminds me a little bit of Pacioretty which is another guy you wanted to drive out of town. You guys make me sick sometimes. It's not his fault that he was traded to us for one of our best prospect. Put him in a better situation, like say Avalanche and he would probably fare well.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Reminds me a little bit of Pacioretty which is another guy you wanted to drive out of town. You guys make me sick sometimes.

And then you have Price who's been eating sh** for nearly 13 years. (you could still add in up to his draft year)

Reactions: Runner77 and LaP

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Critizing a player for the way he plays is totally fair game. This is exactly what the quotes I copied don't do. They are just insults and personal attacks. These post should be automatic infractions. And in some cases, automatic bans. This is not Twitter. This place is supposed to be moderated.

I'm not saying these posters are solely responsible for what happens to Drouin. But they are definitely part of the problem.

This is not a private discussion. These attacks are there for everyone to see, including family members and players themselves. Players who are still insecure young adults, and often not equiped to deal with such a tsunami of public shaming and hate. This has nothing to do with money.

Just Google "jonathan drouin braindead", and the first 5 results are from HFBoards.
Ok im gonna be straight honest with you , all the quote u posted , maybe the last one was mid bordeline. Nobody is insulting his family members or directly calling him things or starting rumours.
At one point , you can delete your social media accounts and move on. It sounds stupid but like nobody is forcing you to read anything online.

I know what you mean but people typing here when a player with high salary does bad , always get hate and bashed. It's what big market does in any sport. Soccer , Nfl , Nba , MLB. It's even wors in Europe with soccer.

It sucks but it goes with the job and perhaps Drouin and French canadian market doesnt fit with Drouin at all. Perhaps he can ask for a trade to play in a market where the fans are not taking hockey like a religion.

TLDR : There is a difference calling out the hockey player and the human.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Just to add (though you more of less said the same thing), in most cases, this is about Drouin the hockey player. Sure, we’re all rough, perhaps too rough at times, but it is what it is.
100% agree with this. There is a difference calling the hockey player bad or stupid. but doing personal attacks for whatever reason is completely stupid. I read that often in some other teams board during games. The habs section is really well moderated compared to some other teams.

Reactions: Runner77

durojean

May 29, 2007
I feel for Jonathan.

the guy is a 50 pts players expected to produce at a much higher rate than he is actually capable off.

He is useful to the team and I just wish he could focus on that.

Expecting more than that is on us. It’s also on the medias and it’s also on Bergevin and Molson.

I remember Gainey when he was harsh to the fan to defend Patrice Brisebois. Bergevin should have done that when he saw what was happening to his player.

If only Drouin could see the big picture instead of the just now.

If he could see that he is a millionnaire, that he is young, that he is talented, that he plays for his local team, that hockey is just a little part of life.

At the end of the day, if he know he is doing his best. He never should be ashamed of what he is. Because he is the dream of almost all of his naysayers. And all of those who attacks the person and not the player should look in the mirror because they are the equivalent of the players that shoots in their own goal for their home team. They are counterproductive.

Jonathan, be proud of who you are and I hope that you have fun playing this game again. Because we all know that you are more talented that 99% of the people on earth at that game.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Mental health (if that is the issue w/t JD) is an important part of a persons overall health... sounds like you look down on people who have mental health issues since you are not as affected. If you were infected with COVID19 and had a mild to asymptomatic reaction, would you look at people in the hospital/ICU and think they just didn't fight/persevere as much as you?

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Imagine being JD or a family member, browsing on HFBoards, opening the JD thread and reading this.

These are quotes from the JD thread, that have all been tolerated by the mods. These are just from the past 3-4 days, but there's dozen of pages of this crap. These posters continue doing their dirty work with impunity. I used to report them, but sadly, there are just too many. And the mods usually don't have the guts to ban them, because these posters are often popular and have a long history on this board.

You could make the same post about countless not only NHL players, but professional athletes, period.

Thank god the mods don't ban as you wish, because this would just be an echo chamber of softness along the lines of Charmin toilet paper.

It's a game. These guys are paid a ridiculous sum of money to play said game. If a player is bad, they should be called out.

It appears Drouin, from what I gather reading this thread, has serious mental issues. That is sad to see but it if that has to do with some posts on an internet forum then he's got bigger fish to fry and I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs, for real.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Wow, I wonder what is going on. Whatever it is, it must be serious to take such a drastic measure. I hope he can get it worked out. If it's a mental health thing, I have a lot of sympathy for him as someone dealing with these issues myself. These are difficult times for everyone, and unfortunately, not everyone is able to deal with things the way we are expected to. Best wishes to him.

Reactions: Domi a favor

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
You could make the same post about countless not only NHL players, but professional athletes, period.

Thank god the mods don't ban as you wish, because this would just be an echo chamber of softness along the lines of Charmin toilet paper.

It's a game. These guys are paid a ridiculous sum of money to play said game. If a player is bad, they should be called out.

It appears Drouin, from what I gather reading this thread, has serious mental issues. That is sad to see but it if that has to do with some posts on an internet forum then he's got bigger fish to fry and I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs, for real.

I never advocated against criticizing players about their performance. I do it myself.

But there's a major line between doing this, and making personal attacks, being called braindead, trash, a POS, a mofo and a pile of dong. Honestly, the line is pretty easy to see for me. I don’t know why we should tolerate it here. It brings nothing valuable. It’s just pure, blind hate. It shouldn't be so hard to moderate. And yet these comments are still there for everyone to see.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The Club physician has to sign on it, but it's not clear what the criteria are.
The player has to be disabled for the duration, so I believe it would need to be health related.
Not to attend funerals or something of the sort.

I would not throw the word lightly. Physicians can't diagnosed mental illness, he would need to see a psychiatrist. Like people usually think "depression", because it is the only mental illness they know, but for that diagnosis, it needs to disable the person for three months. If he feels bad or something, I don't see how someone could predict how long he will feel that way. I don't find it plausible to be honest. If that was the issue, he probably would be day to day type of thing. If I were to guess, a non playing related illness might be more likely, unless he saw a psychiatrist prior and so on, and they came to the conclusion it won't fix itself for awhile. But the kind of narrative people are trying to push, that he saw something on twitter and it destroyed him, or that some critique about his goal scoring sent him on a spiral of death, sounds more like wishful thinking than something that could happen. The guy has been a pro for many years now, he probably saw and heard everything already. But sometimes drops accumulate and then there is a breakdown, so not impossible, but it sounds like a media narrative, like the "Price is now crazy and needs immediate help" a year or two ago.

Well said!

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I never advocated against criticizing players about their performance. I do it myself.

But there's a major line between doing this, and making personal attacks, being called braindead, trash, a POS, a mofo and a pile of dong. Honestly, the line is pretty easy to see for me. I don’t know why we should tolerate it here. It brings nothing valuable. It’s just pure, blind hate. It shouldn't be so hard to moderate. And yet these comments are still there for everyone to see.

How is it pure blind hate?

Pure blind hate by definition would mean anyone at all could get hated on for no reason at all.

You think people are hating on him for reason at all?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I feel for Jonathan. the guy is a 50 pts players expected to produce at a much higher rate than he is actually capable off. He is useful to the team and I just wish he could focus on that.

Expecting more than that is on us. It’s also on the medias and it’s also on Bergevin and Molson.

I remember Gainey when he was harsh to the fan to defend Patrice Brisebois. Bergevin should have done that when he saw what was happening to his player.

If only Drouin could see the big picture instead of the just now.

If he could see that he is a millionnaire, that he is young, that he is talented, that he plays for his local team, that hockey is just a little part of life.

At the end of the day, if he know he is doing his best. He never should be ashamed of what he is. Because he is the dream of almost all of his naysayers. And all of those who attacks the person and not the player should look in the mirror because they are the equivalent of the players that shoots in their own goal for their home team. They are counterproductive.

Jonathan, be proud of who you are and I hope that you have fun playing this game again. Because we all know that you are more talented that 99% of the people on earth at that game.

I disagree atm. In 3-4 years yes. But for now he's a 3rd overall pick, we paid the high price to get him and he's paid solid top 6 money. He's a professional. I mean some guys here goes a long way to defend him. Everyone without exception will get criticized when they are not doing their job properly. That's life and that's fine. I've seen people shit on 16 years old for being 16 years old and learning how a cash register works. That's way worse than complaining about a professional hockey player not doing good enough for his salary.

Nobody forced him to sign. He signed. Now he get criticized for not delivering. People who attack him personally are wrong and disgusting. But i've not seen a lot of that personally. It's more the exception than the rule. People complain about the hockey player. I'm sorry but really guys a 4 goals season over 82 games for a guy his skills and TOI is simply unheard off outside of Gomez. He'll get some time off and that's fine too. But he'll have to either find a way to deliver on the ice or re-evaluate his salary next contract if he wants to avoid being criticized professionally speaking.

Nobody gets paid 5 millions a year because he has mental health issues (if this is his problem he might have a cancer too but i don't see why they would keep that secret). If he can't find a way to deliver he'll have to re-evaluate where he wants to play (which league) and for how much. Do people really think he's the first guy playing for this team with mental health issue (if this is the problem). I can say with very close to 100% certitude than Malakov was more than likely a depressive guy.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I disagree atm. In 3-4 years yes. But for now he's a 3rd overall pick, we paid the high price to get him and he's paid solid top 6 money. He's a professional. I mean some guys here goes a long way to defend him. Everyone without exception will get criticized when they are not doing their job properly. That's life and that's fine. I've seen people shit on 16 years old for being 16 years old and learning how a cash register works. That's way worse than complaining about a professional hockey player not doing good enough for his salary.

Nobody forced him to sign. He signed. Now he get criticized for not delivering. People who attack him personally are wrong and disgusting. But i've not seen a lot of that personally. It's more the exception than the rule. People complain about the hockey player. I'm sorry but really guys a 4 goals season over 82 games for a guy his skills and TOI is simply unheard off outside of Gomez. He'll get some time off and that's fine too. But he'll have to either find a way to deliver on the ice or re-evaluate his salary next contract if he wants to avoid being criticized professionally speaking. Nobody gets paid 5 millions a year because he has mental health issues. If he can't find a way to deliver he'll have to re-evaluate where he wants to play (which league) and for how much.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
My mistake, I meant history.

Same. I don’t even have a Google account.

How is it pure blind hate?

Pure blind hate by definition would mean anyone at all could get hated on for no reason at all.

You think people are hating on him for reason at all?

I don't get your point. Bad hockey performance justifies hatred and personal insults in your view ??

expy

Nov 2, 2010

Nobody forced him to sign. He signed. Now he get criticized for not delivering. People who attack him personally are wrong and disgusting. But i've not seen a lot of that personally. It's more the exception than the rule. People complain about the hockey player. I'm sorry but really guys a 4 goals season over 82 games for a guy his skills and TOI is simply unheard off outside of Gomez. He'll get some time off and that's fine too. But he'll have to either find a way to deliver on the ice or re-evaluate his salary next contract if he wants to avoid being criticized professionally speaking.

Nobody gets paid 5 millions a year because he has mental health issues (if this is his problem he might have a cancer too but i don't see why they would keep that secret). If he can't find a way to deliver he'll have to re-evaluate where he wants to play (which league) and for how much. Do people really think he's the first guy playing for this team with mental health issue (if this is the problem). I can say with very close to 100% certitude than Malakov was more than likely a depressive guy.
Bingo.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
People who attack him personally are wrong and disgusting. But i've not seen a lot of that personally. It's more the exception than the rule.

I've found like 15 vicious personal attacks in only 4-5 pages in the original Drouin thread. This is a pretty widespread exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad