Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Imagine being JD or a family member, browsing on HFBoards, opening the JD thread and reading this.

These are quotes from the JD thread, that have all been tolerated by the mods. These are just from the past 3-4 days, but there's dozen of pages of this crap. These posters continue doing their dirty work with impunity. I used to report them, but sadly, there are just too many. And the mods usually don't have the guts to ban them, because these posters are often popular and have a long history on this board.

He has a ton of talent, just no heart or desire, or brains...

Gomez was a likeable dude at least.

Bench this mofo.

pundits called me anti-french because I had something to say about this pile of dung [...] What a POS!! French and English, he is garbage right now.

anyone thinking he will ever succeed at the NHL level is brain dead.

He has no brains or heart.....never did.

This loser has to go.

Nearly every time a player is being given preferential treatment, they are are either 1) Washed up Vet that had "Pedigree" or 2) Born in QC. Dru-Dru is the perfect example

No team wants to touch JD with a ten-foot pole. Skillful player without a head, the worst possible problem.

seems like a real bad apple...not sure a guy like this can change, or mature.

He is self entitled who actually think he way better then he is.

Drouin reminds me of Yakupov. Great hands, no head.

Jonathan drouin: bum when we got him, bum to this day, bum every day in between. Not a center Not a winger Not a playmaker Not a damn thing

he's got Heart & Arse disease; doesn't have the heart to move his arse...

Reactions: Kojo and Seb

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Imagine being JD or a family member, browsing on HFBoards, opening the JD thread and reading this.

These are quotes from the JD thread, that have all been tolerated by the mods. These are just from the past 3-4 days, but there's dozen of pages of this crap. These posters continue doing their dirty work with impunity. I used to report them, but sadly, there are just too many. And the mods usually don't have the guts to ban them, because these posters are often popular and have a long history on this board.
Let's calm down right here. I know what you mean but most of those comments are coming from people that are angry after a game and wants to vents off. This is why we have different threads and opinions.
Most of those comments arent that bad compared what you see on twitter.
It's the era of the internet , bad people and trolls will always be there.
But those kinds of ''insults'' like ''my god he's been playing like shit for 2 years'' is something you will see in any big sports with a big fanbase.
It's not like we are sending him emails and mails and insulting him directly.

Let's not start blaming people who post in a hockey forum that probably like 10 nhl players knows about it. There is a difference telling a player he's awful and wishing him things. Mods are doing a good job about that.

I don't know if you follow the NBA but Lebron James gets the 100000x of those kind of comments and the dude is probably close to be the best ever of his sport.

They are multi-millionaire playing sports and living the dream , yes they have problems like everyone else but blaming the fanbase on a forum because of Drouin's problem right now is just not right for anybody here.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Let's calm down right here. I know what you mean but most of those comments are coming from people that are angry after a game and wants to vents off. This is why we have different threads and opinions.
But those kinds of ''insults'' like ''my god he's been playing like shit for 2 years'' is something you will see in any big sports with a big fanbase.

Let's not start blaming people who post in a hockey forum that probably like 10 nhl players knows about it. There is a difference telling a player he's awful and wishing him things. Mods are doing a good job about that.

I don't know if you follow the NBA but Lebron James gets the 100000x of those kind of comments and the dude is probably close to be the best ever of his sport.

They are multi-millionaire playing sports and living the dream , yes they have problems like everyone else but blaming the fanbase on a forum because of Drouin's problem right now is just not right for anybody here.

Critizing a player for the way he plays is totally fair game. This is exactly what the quotes I copied don't do. They are just insults and personal attacks. These post should be automatic infractions. And in some cases, automatic bans. This is not Twitter. This place is supposed to be moderated.

I'm not saying these posters are solely responsible for what happens to Drouin. But they are definitely part of the problem.

This is not a private discussion. These attacks are there for everyone to see, including family members and players themselves. Players who are still insecure young adults, and often not equiped to deal with such a tsunami of public shaming and hate. This has nothing to do with money.

Just Google "jonathan drouin braindead", and the first 5 results are from HFBoards.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Oh just stop it, what nonsense. Worried about hurting his feelings on a message board now? Should they also stop posting game highlights of nhl players? I'm sure you have never trashed a company after having a bad experience, eh mr perfect? What about their feelings?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Oh just stop it, what nonsense. Worried about hurting his feelings on a message board now? Should they also stop posting game highlights of nhl players? I'm sure you have never trashed a company after having a bad experience, eh mr perfect? What about their feelings?

You really are comparing apples and oranges.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

tru, but saying someone's a piece of shit/dung isnt really saying he's awful.

maybe that's what I should call you next time we're in disagreement, you know ?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Just for reference, here is some of the gems you have posted. So I'm guessing as long as it isn't Drouin, insulting a player is ok?

- Eric Staal - I think so far he's been the worst looking Hab since Dwight King.

- 'Staal makes me nervous everytime he's on the ice. Things are just going too fast around him. He looks completely lost. And he's a turnover machine.'

- 'I really don't know what to think of Price anymore. I used to defend him. But fact is : I'm always nervous when he's in the net.'

- 'Keep in mind that we have a few very vocal Habs "fans" who post here and who don't like Danault mostly because his name is not Smith.

Seems you only get mad when French players are taking heat, eh bud? You don't mind dishing out crap when you want to, but Drouin is off limits?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
People want details and to speculate about a man's personal medical business SMFH :facepalm:

It’s important to point out that those people are a minority.

I also disagree with the gratuitous takes in this thread where some posts are giving the impression that this forum has gone rogue and become a Drouin hate factory. Reality is that where there has been excesses, it has not been by the posting base at large.

Just calling a spade a spade, the minority that has been indulging in personal Drouin projectile vomit is no less accountable but let’s not paint everyone with the same brush.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Just for reference, here is some of the gems you have posted. So I'm guessing as long as it isn't Drouin, insulting a player is ok?

- Eric Staal - I think so far he's been the worst looking Hab since Dwight King.

- 'Staal makes me nervous everytime he's on the ice. Things are just going too fast around him. He looks completely lost. And he's a turnover machine.'

- 'I really don't know what to think of Price anymore. I used to defend him. But fact is : I'm always nervous when he's in the net.'

- 'Keep in mind that we have a few very vocal Habs "fans" who post here and who don't like Danault mostly because his name is not Smith.

Seems you only get mad when French players are taking heat, eh bud? You don't mind dishing out crap when you want to, but Drouin is off limits?
I don't see stuff like "brain dead" or "POS" in the gems you found...

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

Can't you see the difference between criticizing the way a player is playing, and saying he's braindead, trash, heartless, a mofo and a pile of dong???

Nice effort though.

Reactions: Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What are the human consequences of HFboards for hockey players?

Probably none. I doubt there are NHLers wasting their time in here. We’re not as front and center as Twitter, Facebook etc., where some real winners spew personal invectives.

However, we’re no less caring because of it. There are outliers that unfortunately garner the most attention and are sometimes ruthless and become unnecessarily personal.

kohorevolution

Apr 8, 2015
Rimouski
I am pretty sure some players are affected by social media. Max Comptois got text messages telling him to kill himself after missing his shootout in wjc! Drouin may experience similar things!

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
I am pretty sure some players are affected by social media. Max Comptois got text messages telling him to kill himself after missing his shootout in wjc! Drouin may experience similar things!

Just turn off your f***ing phone then, you can still go online to watch stuff or surf website or whatever you dont have to go on social medias sites

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The Club physician has to sign on it, but it's not clear what the criteria are.
The player has to be disabled for the duration, so I believe it would need to be health related.
Not to attend funerals or something of the sort.

I would not throw the word lightly. Physicians can't diagnosed mental illness, he would need to see a psychiatrist. Like people usually think "depression", because it is the only mental illness they know, but for that diagnosis, it needs to disable the person for three months. If he feels bad or something, I don't see how someone could predict how long he will feel that way. I don't find it plausible to be honest. If that was the issue, he probably would be day to day type of thing. If I were to guess, a non playing related illness might be more likely, unless he saw a psychiatrist prior and so on, and they came to the conclusion it won't fix itself for awhile. But the kind of narrative people are trying to push, that he saw something on twitter and it destroyed him, or that some critique about his goal scoring sent him on a spiral of death, sounds more like wishful thinking than something that could happen. The guy has been a pro for many years now, he probably saw and heard everything already. But sometimes drops accumulate and then there is a breakdown, so not impossible, but it sounds like a media narrative, like the "Price is now crazy and needs immediate help" a year or two ago.

Where do you get the notion that only psychiatrists can diagnose depression or that the criteria is a three months duration ?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, that would fall in line with being completely unacceptable. I remember that, it was disgusting. I feel it's a shame what's happening to this thread though. It should be about Drouin who's likely living through real hardships. It unfortunately became about one posters outrage and personal crusade.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

You know, he probably wouldn't get called all that if he showed emotions more often.
If you consider that:
- he told media that there was a second column in stats next to goals.
- he refused to report to the AHL team because he (and his agent) felt he was too good to play there. So he was suspended by his team. His mental aspect to the game has had concerns for a long time.

Lots of fans will be unhappy with him for those reasons

With internet and social media, a lot of people say a lot of bad things about almost everyone. Some people are probably saying bad things about me somewhere. So I get to choose to ignore it or drown in it.

Edit. Adding on.. Drouin isn't the first player to get trashed on this board and internet overall

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Probably none. I doubt there are NHLers wasting their time in here. We’re not as front and center as Twitter, Facebook etc., where some real winners spew personal invectives.

However, we’re no less caring because of it. There are outliers that unfortunately garner the most attention and are sometimes ruthless and become unnecessarily personal.

You know, I usually try not to disclose too much of my dealings here. There are some topics I'll stay low on. What I can say here is someone who was a close friend of mine had a thread(s) on HF in the past. It was some time ago, HF was smaller, but honestly more ruthless. There are much, much tougher things in these players lives.

Reactions: Runner77

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Amazing how much speculation about mental issues...without evidence. It wouldn't be the first time Habs management is trying to control the narrative.

It could be substance abuse, which is also outright speculation, but it wouldn't have the same social sympathy. Thus the suspicion about controlling the narrative.

Whatever it is, hope for the best for him....but let's not run to the end zone with nothing more then a ping pong ball of speculation.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Was the media really that harsh on him? I feel like they've been way more intense on other players in the past. I have trouble believing that is the real issue.

Hope he's alright, we tend to forget that these players are also human and struggle with mental health issues too... if that's the case. It's debilitating.

Media was not harsh with Drouin at all. But pressure may come from different sources. Maybe it's just having the microphone in his face every games. Or just going on social media and reading various posts by fans, etc...We have to consider that Jonathan has had mental issues going back to Juniors as well.

Makes me sad. :(

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

I think we're wrong to assume that. This is the largest hockey forum in the world. Just search on Google :

"jonathan drouin braindead" = 1st result is HFBoards.

"jonathan drouin stupid" = 2nd result is HFBoards.

"jonathan drouin awful" = 2nd result is HFBoards.

"jonathan drouin dumb" = 2nd result is HFBoards.

HFBoards is not a bubble. As a player, it's the place to go to see what fans think about you.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You know, I usually try not to disclose too much of my dealings here. There are some topics I'll stay low on. What I can say here is someone who was a close friend of mine had a thread(s) on HF in the past. It was some time ago, HF was smaller, but honestly more ruthless. There are much, much tougher things in these players lives.

True, not easy being a public figure. Thankfully for them, they have access to better resources faster than your average person and have a built in support system (coach, league programs, agent) that your average person again doesn’t have — hopefully they avail themselves of these as they can provide them with tangible opportunities to heal themselves.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think we're wrong to assume that. This is the largest hockey forum in the world. Just search on Google :

"jonathan drouin braindead" = 1st result is HFBoards.

"jonathan drouin stupid" = 2nd result is HFBoards.

"jonathan drouin awful" = 2nd result is HFBoards.

"jonathan drouin dumb" = 2nd result is HFBoards.

HFBoards is not a bubble. As a player, it's the place to go to see what fans think about you.

HF is not bigger than Twitter or Facebook, was my point. I wasn’t comparing HF to other hockey forums. I don’t think I’m wrong in that basic statement.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Just to add (though you more of less said the same thing), in most cases, this is about Drouin the hockey player. Sure, we’re all rough, perhaps too rough at times, but it is what it is.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
HF is not bigger than Twitter or Facebook, was my point. I wasn’t comparing HF to other hockey forums. I don’t think I’m wrong in that basic statement.

Thing is, I’d argue most players don’t pay much attention to social media in general. However, when you got a bunch of bitter ex-players ripping into you on AC, or reporters asking questions where you can’t win, then getting that plastered in local papers and regional news... I think that is a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad