Confirmed with Link: Drouin taking indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons - placed on LTIR (Mod warn #28, 382

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Honestly, if I was a Habs player and happened to read half of what people are saying about Drouin on HFBoards, but this time about me, I'm pretty sure I would fall into depression.

Some fans need to look at themselves in the mirror. It’s Ok to criticize the performance of a player, but calling a player "trash" or "garbage" is never ok. Too often, the comments become personal here. Too often, derogatory terms are used. Too often, fans criticize the person, instead of the performance. Too often, these critics are based on the nationality of the player, instead of his actual performance.

I think every poster has a responsibility here. But because of the low level of maturity here in general, maybe it should be the mods job to enforce civility and respect. The line is too often crossed. And it has real, human consequences.

What are the human consequences of HFboards for hockey players?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What are the human consequences of HFboards for hockey players?

None, it just lets people sound all high and mighty, as if Drouin reads HF. Just like the don't read the trade threads, the accolades, the contract threads.. there shouldn't ever be a mod warning on those discussions. Feelings are not hurt. Let Drouin and the boys register here with blue checkmarks, then we will be nice. Until then, I think they post here undercover as mods?

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You guys put way more importance to this board that it merits. You really think that our opinions or ravings affect players in real life? I'm sure they get a big laugh out of it, or more probably, completely ignore it.
Yeah really and no one even knows the true circumstances surrounding Drouin or the team or why he is taking a break from hockey. They are using this opportunity to take shots at posters here as if we or any other fan contributed to the current situation. What a world we live in.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
You guys put way more importance to this board that it merits. You really think that our opinions or ravings affect players in real life? I'm sure they get a big laugh out of it, or more probably, completely ignore it.

Would you be affected if I knew your name and your life, and started posting all sorts of craps about you online, saying how incompetent you are at your job, questionning your character, speading rumors, calling you trash and garbage?

Now imagine a giant hord of people doing it on a daily basis. Whole forums dedicated to it. TV and radio shows spending a lot of time doing it.

Imagine living this, while being a young and insecure adult, just trying to build yourself some confidence, but facing this tsunami of hate daily.

You really, really thing the crap we say here have no consequence?

We don't live on the same planet. But I'm sure it helps you sleep better, thinking whatever you do or say has no consequence.

Reactions: Surfer72

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Now imagine a giant hord of people doing it on a daily basis. Whole forums dedicated to it. TV and radio shows spending a lot of time doing it.
Sorry but that doesn't faze me the slightest. We are not a horde of giants. You barely registered on my attention bracket. Say whatever you want, it's free country. Now excuse me, I have some trash talking to do elsewhere. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Would you be affected if I knew your name and your life, and started posting all sorts of craps about you online, saying how incompetent you are at your job, questionning your character, speading rumors, calling you trash and garbage?
There are laws against slander, and you'd get a taste of it.

Reactions: PhysicX

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yeah really and no one even knows the true circumstances surrounding Drouin or the team or why he is taking a break from hockey. They are using this opportunity to take shots at posters here as if we or any other fan contributed to the current situation. What a world we live in.
People need to chill eh.............message board full of opinions...there are alot of posters here, who take themselves way too seriously.
As for JD, as we know, before anyone even knew him, he had some struggles being dealt to Halifax.
Season tix holders I know in Halifax knew, Drouin going to Montreal was going to blow up.....he needed to behave himself in Tampa, and play under the radar down there.....he didn't and here we are.
So, for us to have an opinion here, many years later, let's be honest, it has a small chance of getting back to JD, but 99.9% unlikely he even knows what HF boards are?
He would be more likely to know something about what other franco fans are saying about him.....

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Who the hell knows?

But thinking that your words never have consequences is irresponsible at best.

No, I don't think its irresponsible at all to think there aren't any significant human consequences on players from whats posted here. The opposite sounds like a fantasy and unsubstantiated though. "Who the hell knows" sounds like a tenuous argument, at best, to justify stronger moderation when the moderation already takes into account real world definitions of harassment, libel and violence.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
People need to chill eh.............message board full of opinions...there are alot of posters here, who take themselves way too seriously.
As for JD, as we know, before anyone even knew him, he had some struggles being dealt to Halifax.
Season tix holders I know in Halifax knew, Drouin going to Montreal was going to blow up.....he needed to behave himself in Tampa, and play under the radar down there.....he didn't and here we are.
So, for us to have an opinion here, many years later, let's be honest, it has a small chance of getting back to JD, but 99.9% unlikely he even knows what HF boards are?
He would be more likely to know something about what other franco fans are saying about him.....
I can't comment on anything about Drouins junior hockey career but what I can say is this. There are plenty of shitty things happening to people in all walks of life, the past year has been especially hard for many but life goes on. There are people that fall through the cracks no matter their social status, age, ethnicity, you name it, shit happens to people every day.

This is a hockey message board where we talk about the Montreal Canadiens and no one on the roster is spared from criticism or praise for that matter. I have been here a long time and I have seen it all as I am sure you have. I have read thousands of posts that have destroyed Carey Price for everything from his salary, performance and even his nightlife in Montreal as a single guy, you name it and it has been said here about him. Galchenyuk, Eller, Weber, Brisebois and so many others have been scrutinized daily and Drouin is no different.

I hope that whatever the situation is involving Drouin gets resolved, what else can I say? What else can anyone say? We don't know what the situation is, Alcohol, drugs, depression, anxiety,family matters, who knows? He will get the situation resolved and hopefully move on with his life, it is what it is.

Just this once

Feb 22, 2019
One thing I was thinking about is the LTIR factor... I don't believe you can go on LTIR if it's not a personal issue or injury. If it's not Drouin and it's something else in his personal life, I don't believe the NHL will allow to move a player to LTIR.

The Club physician has to sign on it, but it's not clear what the criteria are.
The player has to be disabled for the duration, so I believe it would need to be health related.
Not to attend funerals or something of the sort.

So mental illness seems like the probability? Yes or no?

I would not throw the word lightly. Physicians can't diagnosed mental illness, he would need to see a psychiatrist. Like people usually think "depression", because it is the only mental illness they know, but for that diagnosis, it needs to disable the person for three months. If he feels bad or something, I don't see how someone could predict how long he will feel that way. I don't find it plausible to be honest. If that was the issue, he probably would be day to day type of thing. If I were to guess, a non playing related illness might be more likely, unless he saw a psychiatrist prior and so on, and they came to the conclusion it won't fix itself for awhile. But the kind of narrative people are trying to push, that he saw something on twitter and it destroyed him, or that some critique about his goal scoring sent him on a spiral of death, sounds more like wishful thinking than something that could happen. The guy has been a pro for many years now, he probably saw and heard everything already. But sometimes drops accumulate and then there is a breakdown, so not impossible, but it sounds like a media narrative, like the "Price is now crazy and needs immediate help" a year or two ago.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
How is the media in mtl handling this grenade, i have not lived in mtl in over 20 years and stopped listening to tsn radio a while back.So i am out of the loop.

Thanks

Pretty much leaving him alone if he was a player on the yankees or cowboys journalist would be camping out infront of his house, following him as soon as he got in his car, They are letting off way too easily

Reactions: dukeofjive

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
To the people on here thinking that what they write might not affect someone in real life....explain to me why it is there is so much suicide from "irrelevant" online bullying?

Having said that, it may not even be a mental or psychological issue with Drouin. I wish him well no matter what it may be.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
To the people on here thinking that what they write might not affect someone in real life....explain to me why it is there is so much suicide from "irrelevant" online bullying?

I think you're inventing your own interpretation of what's being said. There's no debating that intentional hateful, violent, harassing messages being posted with the purpose, and realistic possibility, of them being read by Drouin or his close relations are relevant.

The question here is on what reasonable grounds is this placed being lumped with those real world consequences on players, aside from some posters feeling so or being hurt by proxy by it. It's not impossible, and I may be wrong, but I feel its unsubstantiated and overly dramatic.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Precisely. Drouin was never going to live up to the expectations and hype created by Bergevin when he acquired him. His issues were well known and Bergevin still went out of his way to get him via a completely unnecessary trade. He was a sacrificial pawn thrown to the wolves to deflect the attention away from Bergevin's failings as a GM.

Reactions: BLONG7

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Sorry but that doesn't faze me the slightest. We are not a horde of giants. You barely registered on my attention bracket. Say whatever you want, it's free country. Now excuse me, I have some trash talking to do elsewhere. :laugh:

Honestly, I don't know how to reply to you without being infracted. I just hope your less than 15 years old.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Did the fans put Drouin in rehab? Stress related?
If you read a poster last night,you would have realised it is all on me. I have no empathy and since i brought up what he did in tampa and coasting and his assist comment, it is people like me that are the problem.
i will take an appointment with a priest this weekend and confess this sin and Oh and lets not forget the other sin according to the great LeSean, being an executive thus being ignorant with no empathy as he called me .

Last edited:

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
If you read a poster last night,you would have realised it is all on me. I have no empathy and since i brought up what he did in tampa and coasting and his assist comment, it is people like me that are the problem.
i will take an appointment with a priest this weekend and confess this sin and Oh and lets not forget the other sin according to the great LeSean, being an executive thus being ignorant with no empathy as he called me .
Link?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think it’s a bit premature to say Drouin cracked under pressure. None of us know what’s going on, maybe COVID got to him, maybe family is having issues, maybe it’s hockey related. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt here and hopefully whatever he is going through is short term and he’s able to bounce back. He’s not a robot, he’s a professional, but he’s not immune from mental health issues or family issues just the same as none of us are.

it’s easy to sit here and say he wilted under pressure, but no one knows wtf is going on here.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Honestly, I don't know how to reply to you without being infracted. I just hope your less than 15 years old.
My less than 15 years old what? Most of my stuff is older than that. I have a favorite shirt, must be close to 50 years old, made from organic hemp, still looks great. Oh wait, silly me, you meant my age? Why do you ask? Am I really worth all this pent up anger? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad