Rumor: Dreger: Sources Indicate Tocchet Will Not Be Extended, Will Go To Free Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Step one in steering this ship in a different direction. I hope RT finds success elsewhere. Glad the hockey world seems to think he is an amazing coach. Absolutely a terrible fit for our roster, where we are and where we are going. I'll be keeping a tab on his coaching career to see if it was the team or him. All the evidence says it was him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Gallant makes sense for Seattle. I think Tocc, now with 2 failed head coaching stints (and no successes), heads back to an assistant role for good.
There is a 0% chance Seattle will hire Gallant. If they were gonna do that, they’d have done it a long time ago.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
From NYP Larry Brooks:

There would be one guiding principle here for Drury, and that is whether he believes Quinn has the right stuff to lead the Rangers to the Stanley Cup. That’s it. If the answer is no, there is no reason to dally. That would be the case even if Arizona’s Rick Tocchet were not looming as a free agent.

rt

May 13, 2004
Damn. I just came to post that and it’s two days old.

Drury now will be responsible for deciding Quinn’s fate behind the bench.

There would be one guiding principle here for Drury, and that is whether he believes Quinn has the right stuff to lead the Rangers to the Stanley Cup. That’s it. If the answer is no, there is no reason to dally. That would be the case even if Arizona’s Rick Tocchet were not looming as a free agent.
Larry Brooks speculating that Rick Tocchet might be a fit for the Rangers if they move on from Quinn.
Why Rangers owner Jim Dolan fired John Davidson, Jeff Gorton

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd be really interested to see what RT could do for NYR. Feels like a good way to see if the issues are coming from his coaching philosophies, or roster make-up/skill. A young core, with arguably more skill than use, but less defensively sound seems like a bad fit on paper.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Good lord. Has any hockey journalist said anything remotely negative about Tocchet? How in the hell is he perceived as this hot coaching commodity? I really really hope he gets another head coaching job just for curiosity's sake.

Because everyone in the NHL believes Arizona is a hellscape of minor-league-quality players and past-their-prime veterans, and that there's no way we can succeed in any way without a miracle worker.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd be really interested to see what RT could do for NYR. Feels like a good way to see if the issues are coming from his coaching philosophies, or roster make-up/skill. A young core, with arguably more skill than use, but less defensively sound seems like a bad fit on paper.
Dolan and Messier fired JD and Gorton because they were embarrassed about the response to Wilson and the Caps. They want a tougher team. They’re going to look at RT as a “tough guy” coach. It’s silly and it doesn’t translate. But I could see it happening.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I don't know how I can make it through the summer, thinking Tocchet will be gone!

Joking aside, if the players couldn't win with a "players coach" or whatever his ideal was, perhaps some other style could do it.

Preferably a new style on the ice, too, while I'm at it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Dolan and Messier fired JD and Gorton because they were embarrassed about the response to Wilson and the Caps. They want a tougher team. They’re going to look at RT as a “tough guy” coach. It’s silly and it doesn’t translate. But I could see it happening.

This is hilarious and sounds spot on. Nevermind the fact that if I remember correctly RT had some quote about how he doesn't put much value into fighting (I'll try to dig it up).

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't know how I can make it through the summer, thinking Tocchet will be gone!

Joking aside, if the players couldn't win with a "players coach" or whatever his ideal was, perhaps some other style could do it.

Preferably a new style on the ice, too, while I'm at it.
I don’t think the issue is that Tocchet is too much of a players coach. I don’t honk the response is to find a hard ass. I think Tocchet’s issue is that he’s just not a good head coach, and is in way over his head. I think the appropriate response is to find a CAPABLE coach. Even if he’s nice.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Your top 5 picks for head coach? Without factoring in salary demands.
W/O salary demands? And only looking at guys who don’t currently have NHL HC jobs?

1. Gallant
2. Boudreau
3. MVR

Then I’d say “the field” with names like Todd Nelson, Claude Julien, John Stevens, Mike Vellucci, and Nate Leaman in some order.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We're the same on Gallant. I think his philosophy lines up perfectly with what Army envisions and is trying to do.

I like Boudreau. Won't complain if we hire him but don't see him as a fit. I'm hesitant to go with an inexperienced guy, and I view John Stevens as the same as Tocchet.

I see more good than bad with Tortorella. Another option is Ducharme. I think he and Bergevin are done in Montreal if they get smashed in playoffs.

I am curious about Bob Hartley. He wants back in the NHL. Still need to listen to his new interview on 31 Thoughts. FWIW he was a candidate when we hired Tocchet.

I hope we have a decent budget for this. Hard to say what we're willing to spend on hockey ops. We didn't even interview the expensive names for GM but I don't know if that was because of cost.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Claude Julien still has 1 year left at 5 mil. Fully expect him to stay home, collect that cash, and be selective. We're obviously not going to come close to that number, or even enough of a portion where Montreal covers the rest to make him whole.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't even really think letting Tocc go solves all that many problems I'm just tired of the general lack of any accountability. The teams slide last season gets a coach fired for any other franchise.

Letting him walk a year later is a shitty version of that but better than nothing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I really hope BA isn't one note and understands that he can't clone the Blues and call it a day. Guys like Torts are a better fit elsewhere.

The Coyotes should be playing like the Panthers or the Hurricanes aka a modern pressing style that pushes up the ice rather than trying to form a trap shield wall. Worry about how it works in the playoffs when you start regularly making them.

More than anything, I want a coach who understands that style and wants his guys to play that way. Julien is like that. Boudreau a little less, but still excellent. Gallant is more 50/50 and I don't see the hype at all.

I don't want MVR to come here and try to impersonate Torts or Berube. We need an Evenson type backed hard by BA who the players don't try to f*** with. Scratching Parise because he was a selfish shit earned him a lot of respect, we need a coach that will do the same while being a good tactical fit. It's the only way to prevent the country club from setting in.

Reactions: Grimes

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Good lord. Has any hockey journalist said anything remotely negative about Tocchet? How in the hell is he perceived as this hot coaching commodity? I really really hope he gets another head coaching job just for curiosity's sake.

I hope he does and when he does another .434 job, he'll have critics again giving him a pass as it will be the fault of the players, owners, stadium, location, fan base, color of his shoes, bad ties, etc...

He's is what he is, a sub .500 coach.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Another name to consider is Jim Montgomery but I don't know how much BS we'd have to listen to if we made that hire.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Another name to consider is Jim Montgomery but I don't know how much BS we'd have to listen to if we made that hire.

Hard pass on anyone that wants to play like Dallas, St Louis, Columbus, or Winnipeg. I want to be in the top 10 in shot attempts every year for the rest of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln