Rumor: Dreger: Sources Indicate Tocchet Will Not Be Extended, Will Go To Free Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Tocchet does actually walk then I'll probably be pleased with whoever BA hires. Not worried about him getting duped. Am worried about him trying to recreate St Louis.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It's because of their offense they can play this way. If they get behind one or even two goals they have the talent to still come back, we don't. We can't get into a run and gun with teams like Colorado, Tampa, Florida or Carolina. We have to play more conservative and wait for the other teams to make a mistake.
That’s RT speak right there. We are second in come from behind victories this season, only Tampa Bay has more. And I don’t care who they’re against, this is the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Tocchet does actually walk then I'll probably be pleased with whoever BA hires. Not worried about him getting duped. Am worried about him trying to recreate St Louis.
What's wrong recreating St Louis?

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I see Garland, Bunting, Hill joining the NHL pretty smoothly and at times impactfully: Varady has done an excellent job in the two successful seasons he was the Roadrunners head coach. Both at getting that AHL team playing well whilst obtaining some of the best results it has ever had, but also at developing players.

The Coyotes are going to need someone who understands modern attacking hockey but also, essentially, someone who can re-wire the mental attributes of some of the players desperately accustomed to being beat up and to losing. He now knows the team, the players, and perhaps he is a guy who can work effectively at changing the culture from within.

So I am warming up at giving him the keys of the squad, on a short "show me what you can do contract" rather, perhaps, at hiring a bigger name from the outside, one who will want a bigger contract, longer term and perhaps will need time to incorporate and digest the reality of a franchise that has dysfunctionned for so long.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Athletic reporting that Tortorella won’t be back in Columbus.
I’d be really surprised if we got someone with an extensive NHL head coaching resume. I’m also guessing it won’t be Nate Leaman or someone without extensive pro experience (don’t think we’re gonna Hakstol it).

Though I am a bit worried we’ll hire Housley or Yeo.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A lot of teams are going to be looking for a coach.

Arizona
Buffalo - Granato is interim
Carolina - I assume Brind'Amour gets signed
Columbus
Detroit - Blashill's contract is up
Montreal - Ducharme is interim and probably goes if Bergevin gets canned
Vancouver - Green's contract is up
Seattle

Don't really see any other coaches in trouble.

It's interesting. If you're Gallant for example and the money is relatively even, I'd think Arizona is in his top 3 with Seattle and Detroit (alumnus).

Last edited:

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Think Gallant ends up in Detroit. Lots of upcoming talent there and he’ll be sought out to teach them the right way to play. Could see Columbus trying to get Tocchet to try out more of a “player’s coach” after Torts.

Praying we don’t end up with Mike Yeo

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's interesting. If you're Gallant for example and the money is relatively even, I'd think Arizona is in his top 3 with Seattle and Detroit (alumnus).

The Coyotes are tied with Buffalo for worst job opening in the league, especially if a rebuild is on. And we know with that many looking to hire that the Coyotes wouldn't be giving an even money offer to the top guys.

It's going to be an assistant or AHL head coach that is very well thought of that gets the gig I bet.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think we're more appealing than Vancouver, for example. Candidates will be uncertain about taking a job when in a year from now Benning will get canned and then their own future is in doubt. Columbus is kinda blah. Montreal isn't an option if you can't parle Francais.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Nash and McConnel were talking about RT near the end of the SJ game tonight. They both were talking about what a great guy he is. How well he treats everyone. How even after 10 minutes it feels like you have known him for 10 years. I really think RT knows how to make everyone feel like family, including people like Morgan. I think this is why so many can just turn the other cheek to his poor tactical coaching. They also raved about how he is always trying to teach the game. I believe it too, he is probably giving players advice of how to best take a hit, how to improve skating agility, etc. But for all we know this type of teaching could be for a game that was played 20 years ago, and not the style the game is played now. Also, teaching is much different than directing. We need a coach to direct the team through tactics and systems and let their skill come through more.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Nash and McConnel were talking about RT near the end of the SJ game tonight. They both were talking about what a great guy he is. How well he treats everyone. How even after 10 minutes it feels like you have known him for 10 years. I really think RT knows how to make everyone feel like family, including people like Morgan. I think this is why so many can just turn the other cheek to his poor tactical coaching. They also raved about how he is always trying to teach the game. I believe it too, he is probably giving players advice of how to best take a hit, how to improve skating agility, etc. But for all we know this type of teaching could be for a game that was played 20 years ago, and not the style the game is played now. Also, teaching is much different than directing. We need a coach to direct the team through tactics and systems and let their skill come through more.

Honestly? F*** Nash and McConnell. Whenever I watched games this year I made sure to get the OTHER feed that is not Nash or McConnell. Those guys are bad at play by play, and based on what you said they're also bad at intermission as well.

Rick Tocchet was a great player that wasn't quite good enough to be a borderline HOFer but was still amazing. Like you said he may be a great individual skills coach, and to be clear I respect him as a player even if he might have played quite a while ago. Good players are great... but they don't necessarily make good coaches. See Scotty Bowman, Wayne Gretzky etc.

And that is all I am going to say about Rick Tocchet. Glad to be moving on

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No doubt RT is a great guy, and is fun to be around, and I wish it turned out better here. I was happy when we picked him as coach, but now it's time to move. Wish him well wherever he goes.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Gotta imagine if Tocchet is "walking away" he is going to pull the plug asap to make himself available for other opportunities.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Gotta imagine if Tocchet is "walking away" he is going to pull the plug asap to make himself available for other opportunities.

Or even if he wants to stay, he's probably looking for an answer soon from the organization. I think he already knows and has for weeks.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tortorella expects quick decision on future as coach of Blue Jackets

Some really good quotes here from Tortorella. Interesting to see a coach take some blame for his own mistakes.

I hope we talk to Tortorella. I have some concerns with some areas of his playing style but he has evolved quite a bit and it sounds like he wants to take that even further.

What’s most intriguing about Tortorella is he made the Jackets relevant. They were a joke when he got there and they are now a respectable franchise. We could use that.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Tortorella expects quick decision on future as coach of Blue Jackets

Some really good quotes here from Tortorella. Interesting to see a coach take some blame for his own mistakes.

I hope we talk to Tortorella. I have some concerns with some areas of his playing style but he has evolved quite a bit and it sounds like he wants to take that even further.

What’s most intriguing about Tortorella is he made the Jackets relevant. They were a joke when he got there and they are now a respectable franchise. We could use that.
I think we'd enjoy the pressers a lot more too. He's brutally honest sometimes and it's kind of funny when he's being a dick to reporters. Certainly there'd be a lot less "I don't know"s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->