Rumor: Dreger: Sources Indicate Tocchet Will Not Be Extended, Will Go To Free Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
One of the reason’s why Carolina and Florida are top in shot attempts is because of their top tier talent. We don’t have a barkov, huberdeau, svechnikov or aho.

We need to adopt a heavy forechecking and cycling style. The wild are what we need to emulate. The only top tier talent they have is Kaprisov, but I f***ing hated playing them. I want other team’s fans to hate playing us

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
One of the reason’s why Carolina and Florida are top in shot attempts is because of their top tier talent. We don’t have a barkov, huberdeau, svechnikov or aho.

You should watch them sometime and pay close attention to how aggressive their forwards are.

Look how deep in the zone they go even without clear possession. That's 100% a coaching choice. That's why they generate a ton of offense but give up a little more too.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You should watch them sometime and pay close attention to how aggressive their forwards are.

Look how deep in the zone they go even without clear possession. That's 100% a coaching choice. That's why they generate a ton of offense but give up a little more too.

Absolutely, we play well when we pressure. These boys need to be in impeccable shape to withstand a season of this.
“Again”

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ron Francis' big two negatives in Carolina were he refused to change the coach and he couldn't figure out the goaltending. What a mistake if he starts off Seattle with Tocchet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's because of their offense they can play this way. If they get behind one or even two goals they have the talent to still come back, we don't. We can't get into a run and gun with teams like Colorado, Tampa, Florida or Carolina. We have to play more conservative and wait for the other teams to make a mistake.

Reactions: cobra427

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It's because of their offense they can play this way. If they get behind one or even two goals they have the talent to still come back, we don't. We can't get into a run and gun with teams like Colorado, Tampa, Florida or Carolina. We have to play more conservative and wait for the other teams to make a mistake.

Ironically a lot of our wins came from behind this year. Several Blues games, the two wild Anaheim games. Of anything our coach had the team not playing assertive when we had the led.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ironically a lot of our wins came from behind this year. Several Blues games, the two wild Anaheim games. Of anything our coach had the team not playing assertive when we had the led.
True, but how many were against the Ducks and LA. Don't forget the Blues were beat up. Wonder how many games we lost with losing the lead?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sign me up for Todd Nelson
His fellow assistant Derek Laxdal is also intriguing.

But at this point, Todd Nelson is definitely appealing. Dude has been successful at so many levels, for so long. The only team for which he's been the head coach that's ever lost more games than they won was the train-wreck Edmonton team that was already in last place when he took over as a mid-season replacement for that nightmare Dallas Eakins.

Head coaching seaasons (full) and results
1. 03-04 - UHL - Won Championship
2. 04-05 - UHL - Won Championship
3. 05-06 - UHL - Lost in round 2
4. 10-11 - AHL - Lost in round 1
5. 11-12 - AHL - Lost in round 3
6. 12-13 - AHL - Lost in round 3
7. 13-14 - AHL - Lost in round 1
8. 15-16 - AHL - Lost in round 2
9. 16-17 - AHL - Won Championship
10.17-18 - AHL - Lost in round 1

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I would like a 50-something-year-old who plays an exciting style and who has winning NHL head coaching experience as well as a track record of developing young talent either in the AHL or in the CHL/NCAA.

I don't know how many available coaches check all of those boxes.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Damn. Just noticed that not only has Nelson never failed to qualify for the playoffs in any full season as head coach but he's also never failed to qualify for the playoffs in any full season in a North American league (WHL, IHL, UHL) as a player??!?!? Hahah. That's freakin' awesome. I never noticed that part when we were interviewing him last time around.

I like the idea of hiring Nelson just to make up for our last mistake. Shoulda been him to begin with. Let's just hire him and forget Tocchet ever happened. Just wipe the last four years completely from memory.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Damn. Just noticed that not only has Nelson never failed to qualify for the playoffs in any full season as head coach but he's also never failed to qualify for the playoffs in any full season in a North American league (WHL, IHL, UHL) as a player??!?!? Hahah. That's freakin' awesome. I never noticed that part when we were interviewing him last time around.

I like the idea of hiring Nelson just to make up for our last mistake. Shoulda been him to begin with. Let's just hire him and forget Tocchet ever happened. Just wipe the last four years completely from memory.

Sometimes mediocre players become great coaches, and sometimes great players end up as mediocre coaches (*wafting thru the FOG as I type).

;)

Reactions: Kaizen

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
His fellow assistant Derek Laxdal is also intriguing.

But at this point, Todd Nelson is definitely appealing. Dude has been successful at so many levels, for so long. The only team for which he's been the head coach that's ever lost more games than they won was the train-wreck Edmonton team that was already in last place when he took over as a mid-season replacement for that nightmare Dallas Eakins.

Head coaching seaasons (full) and results
1. 03-04 - UHL - Won Championship
2. 04-05 - UHL - Won Championship
3. 05-06 - UHL - Lost in round 2
4. 10-11 - AHL - Lost in round 1
5. 11-12 - AHL - Lost in round 3
6. 12-13 - AHL - Lost in round 3
7. 13-14 - AHL - Lost in round 1
8. 15-16 - AHL - Lost in round 2
9. 16-17 - AHL - Won Championship
10.17-18 - AHL - Lost in round 1
Laxdal is from my home town.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Wasn't Todd Nelson the AHL guy who was in the running last time? Last go around pretty sure I had him as my #1 choice. Keefe 2, and Tocchet last. F him, best news all week is hearing he's going to be gone. I could go on a long ramble of how I didn't like him from the beginning..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->