TSN: [Dreger] Expects Laine to get 11M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Well at least he isnt asking for not a penny less then mcjesus. Laine at least understands he isn't as good like some others.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I mean if Eichel got 10...

I think Laine should get 10 as well, but I can see 11. Cap goes up every year.
Eichel signed when the cap was at 75 million and takes up roughly 13% of the Cap.
It's likely Matthews signs for the same percentage.

Ehlers signed for 8% of the cap at the time.

Currently the cap is at 79.5 million. It will probably go up to around 80/81 million next year.

If you give Laine an even 13% (like Eichel) on an 80 million dollar cap, you are looking at 10.4 million.

It's not crazy to think both Laine and Matthews could be paid 11 million next contract.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I mean are we really surprised? He scored 44 goals as a 19 year old.... Scoring goals=get paid
Dont care if he isnt the best defensive player etc, when you score 44 goals as a 19 year old in the NHL, you will get a huge ticket

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Eichel got 10 because Buffalo had to overpay him tremendously to keep him there. This shouldn't be the standard.
Well he was a restricted free agent. They were going to keep him no matter what.

I think it had more to do with the fact that McDavid signed for 12.5

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It's happening across all sports. If you want to keep your stars, you better plan on opening the wallets.

In this case, it's a bit more, but that's what it'll take. If Peg doesn't someone else will.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Laine isn't even better than Pastrnak how would he get 11m?
How do you figure that?

Laine Career PPG = .86 (36 goals, 44 goals) Birthday 1998
Pastrnak Career PPG = .80 (15 goals, 34 goals, 35 goals) Birthday 1996

Soon Laine will be into the 50 goal area.

Reactions: tgoat

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Winnipeg's gm made huge mistake by giving Wheeler such a long and expensive contract for largely due to inflated pp points which ironically is due to Laine. Matthews and Laine won't be getting under 10m per year. WInnipeg better hope they win the cup next season, it's gonna get quite tight there cap-wise and soon.

Reactions: jepjepjoo

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Winnipeg's gm made huge mistake by giving Wheeler such a long and expensive contract for largely due to inflated pp points which ironically is due to Laine. Matthews and Laine won't be getting under 10m per year. WInnipeg better hope they win the cup next season, it's gonna get quite tight there cap-wise and soon.

Letting Wheeler go wasn't simply an option.

It would have had an massive effect off the ice and on the ice. Could easily broke a room.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Laine seems like the type of guy who would take less to be competitive. I'm guessing he signs for 9.5.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Letting Wheeler go wasn't simply an option.

It would have had an massive effect off the ice and on the ice. Could easily broke a room.
I'm sure there is a middle-ground between giving 33 year-old Wheeler such a long contract and letting him walk.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I would highly consider trading him if this is what he wants.
On the other hand, I don't think it's that wise to trade arguably the best goal scorer of his generation.

I think and hope he gets around 9,5M. He'll get a lot of unfair attention just because of his contract in the future for sure. But you gotta remember we're looking at a very special player, in 20 years we could be looking at one of the best goal scorers there's ever been. He's pretty much worth every penny he'll get, not sure if next year but soon.

The NHL hasn't even seen how clutch he can be. Waiting for healthy Laine in playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm sure there is a middle-ground between giving 33 year-old Wheeler such a long contract and letting him walk.

He took a 5 year deal, whic his his final longterm contract.

He could have easily asked for 6-7 years and make life more difficult for Chevy.
Considering the situation 5 years is pretty damm good. Evander Kane 7M, Tavares 11M, Wheeler bit over 8M.

It's easy to say here should have gone for 3 but it's not that easy in real life. Wheeler is one of the best players in the league and Captain of his team, while going for his final longterm contract.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
scheifele 6 Tavares 11. who paid the surcharge.
If Laine gets more than Matthews? the Jets.

He's more of a Nylander level player.

when was the last time Winnipeg actually got a decent player to come to their city via UFA???

And the Jets will be paying over $8M a year for a declining Wheeler, starting next year.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
On the other hand, I don't think it's that wise to trade arguably the best goal scorer of his generation.

I think and hope he gets around 9,5M. He'll get a lot of unfair attention just because of his contract in the future for sure. But you gotta remember we're looking at a very special player, in 20 years we could be looking at one of the best goal scorers there's ever been. He's pretty much worth every penny he'll get, not sure if next year but soon.

The NHL hasn't even seen how clutch he can be. Waiting for healthy Laine in playoffs.
I agree but if you are able to get something significant and consider Winnipeg depth at wing it wouldn't necesseraly be bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad