TSN: [Dreger] Expects Laine to get 11M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
if he hits 50 $11m might be a steal! (will hurt jets cap though I assume) great goal scorers are tough to find these days,
If he plays with Little all season, as is expected, Laine will be lucky to get 30 goals this year.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I can say for sure that that Marner will have a better career because he is more skilled in more areas than Laine will ever be! And no Laine is NOT a generational goal scorer, not even close.

BTW Leafs have enough goal scorers, they need some players to play defensive hockey of which Laine is not!

Just tell me - how many 19yr olds have scored 44G in a season in the NHL?

"Since 1987-88, no NHL player has scored more goals as a teenager than Laine did with his 80, leaving Sidney Crosby (75), Ilya Kovalchuk (67) and Rick Nash (58) in the dust." -TSN

So, scoring more than Crosby, Kovalchuk and Nash is not generational, even though he is the best scoring teenager the game has seen? If the best is not enough, tell me what is generational? Something that doesnt exist?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If he plays with Little all season, as is expected, Laine will be lucky to get 30 goals this year.

im a leaf fan so ill take your word for it. but skill and shot like that Laine gets 30 in his sleep with anyone pretty much

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa

"Since 1987-88, no NHL player has scored more goals as a teenager than Laine did with his 80, leaving Sidney Crosby (75), Ilya Kovalchuk (67) and Rick Nash (58) in the dust." -TSN

So, scoring more than Crosby, Kovalchuk and Nash is not generational, even though he is the best scoring teenager the game has seen? If the best is not enough, tell me what is generational? Something that doesnt exist?
Being elite In one category doesn't make you generational. That would defeat the purpose of the term. It would be weird to have 30 generational players of every generation

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017

Why do you have cut off dates? Generational to me means of ALL TIMES included not just since 87-88!
Some of you fans are priceless. why do you omit the 1979-1980 season??? I believe MR. Generational (you know who) scored 51 as a 19 year old!!! Doesn't suit your needs does it???

Actually my mistake Gretzky started the 79/80 season as an 18 year old. Best ever teenager of all time...NOT Laine no matter how much you want t it to be!!! Next year started as a 19 year old scored scored 55, from then on he just shattered record after record. Laine the best teenager the game has ever seen????? In your dreams maybe.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well he was a restricted free agent. They were going to keep him no matter what.

I think it had more to do with the fact that McDavid signed for 12.5

He could have given them problems. With the way players and agents are these days with contracts, you never know.

The problem is with that mentality that Eichel might be that skilled, but hasn't produced to nearly that level. I would have understood 8, maybe even 9, but he hasn't produced even near to the level of a McDavid. I understand buying out UFA years, but DRASTICALLY overpaying for that? I feel like Buffalo bid against themselves.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Lol what?

Hahahahahah I said the same damn thing.

Gaudreau just had 84 points this season and isn't close to Laine, who isn't even the best player on his team with Scheifele and Wheeler being there.

I'd love to know what 90 point wingers and point per game centers Gaudreau has played with. :laugh:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Being elite In one category doesn't make you generational. That would defeat the purpose of the term. It would be weird to have 30 generational players of every generation

If you are a generational goalscorer it do make you generational in that category. Tell me how it doesnt?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Wonder where Laine will be in 5 years development wise when he is same age as gaudreau now. Calgary would trade Johnny hockey for him in a nanosecond . Probably add a 1st too. What was Johnny doing at 19 20 21 certainly not scoring over 40 goals a year in nhl like Laine has and will do.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Why do you have cut off dates? Generational to me means of ALL TIMES included not just since 87-88!
Some of you fans are priceless. why do you omit the 1979-1980 season??? I believe MR. Generational (you know who) scored 51 as a 19 year old!!! Doesn't suit your needs does it???

I believe a new generation has been born since 1979-1980, dont you? This quote is taken straight by copy-paste from TSN. So, maybe ask them about this

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I believe a new generation has been born since 1979-1980, dont you? This quote is taken straight by copy-paste from TSN. So, maybe ask them about this

No I don't have to ask TSN anything, I have been around even before TSN was just a thought. I don't care what they say!!!!!! Who are you and TSN to change the rules??? Maybe you should go visit the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME AND LEARN THE HOCKEY TRUTH. Enough of this made up s**t

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No I don't have to ask TSN anything, I have been around even before TSN was just a thought. I don't care what they say!!!!!! Who are you and TSN to change the rules??? Maybe you should go visit the HOCKEY HALL OF FAME AND LEARN THE HOCKEY TRUTH. Enough of this made up s**t

What? :D :D :D

Please educate me in what "generation" and "generational" means by your standards.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
One of the best of all time! Laine is NOT! Come back when he is!

If Laine is the best scoring teenager since No.99, doesnt that make him the best young scorer of HIS generation ( aka GENERATIONAL )? Waynes daughter is older than Laine, so I would say it is a fit. Generation doesnt mean "From the beginning of time"

Reactions: Uncle Bob

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Since you have been around for so long you must have have a dictionary laying around somewhere... Open it at "G".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hahahahahah I said the same damn thing.

Gaudreau just had 84 points this season and isn't close to Laine, who isn't even the best player on his team with Scheifele and Wheeler being there.

I'd love to know what 90 point wingers and point per game centers Gaudreau has played with. :laugh:
At age 21 Gaudreau produced 24 goals and 64 points...

At age 18 Laine produced 36 goals and 64 points in 7 fewer games.

Gaudreau just turned 25. Laine just turned 20.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Since you have been around for so long you must have have a dictionary laying around somewhere... Open it at "G".

Don't need one because Generational to me means the best of the best over a whole career, Laine playing 2 years does not fit the citeria as best of the best. It may to you but then generational means nothing if thats the case.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Don't need one because Generational to me means the best of the best over a whole career, Laine playing 2 years does not fit the citeria as best of the best. It may to you but then generational means nothing if thats the case.

Generational -
  1. the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth ofparents and the birth of their offspring
Source: Dictionary

Reactions: Uncle Bob

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Generational -
  1. the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth ofparents and the birth of their offspring
Source: Dictionary

Answer me this, If Laine never hits 50 goals or even 44 goals again is he generational??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad