TSN: [Dreger] Expects Laine to get 11M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Is this for real. Absolutely laughable. Im a huge Laine fan, but even if he scores 60 goals he just doesn't present that sort of value. Not until he's got an elite 2 way game.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If Laine plays in Toronto, there is a story on a regular basis in media labelling him the new Ovechkin. He's in Winnipeg, nowhere near all those eyes/ I could care less about Winnipeg but the kid is a pure goal scorer. The numbers are amazing for minutes he gets and let's not forget he's six months younger than Matthews. Sure, he's doesn't play centre and that Ovechkin's value has always sucked.
This kid might be the best young goal scorer in the NHL. Based on cap, $11 M is not that high. I'm not factoring in a Winnipeg premium or fact he would only take home $5.5 M of that.
Let's try that. Winnipeg- Send him to Toronto to play with Mathews, Marner, Tavares, and Nylnader. I would just like to see what the media says about him.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Is this for real. Absolutely laughable. Im a huge Laine fan, but even if he scores 60 goals he just doesn't present that sort of value. Not until he's got an elite 2 way game.
60 goals? Man he must be the worst player in the league outside of scoring goals if that doesn't cut it.

Reactions: Jorkkila and Peggy

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
And this has what do with you using plus minus to try to argue that Laine is a better defensive player than Wheeler and being terribly wrong about that?

5on5 GF/GA is a valid stat when comparing within a team. I was saying that Wheeler isn't that good defensively either... Laine actually plays a more defensively responsible game(positioning) than Wheeler who often steals from defense for offensive opportunities.

This is what I posted:

5on5 results past 2 seasons:
Laine 117GF 90GA +27
offensive zone starts 55.91%

Wheeler 108GF 95GA +13
offensive zone starts 54.8%

Last edited:
Reactions: 1OApick

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
So we’ve all heard now:

Laine 11
AM 12
Marner 10
Nylander 8
Big Buff 10 (before he actually signed for much less)

When will people learn to not believe what these media guys say.

I'm wondering if these guys are just pulling numbers out of their asses or they have some Intel

But I'd prefer id this "media" guy would shut up and not put that kind of idea in the air

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
5on5 GF/GA is a valid stat when comparing within a team. I was saying that Wheeler isn't that good defensively either... Laine actually plays a more defensively responsible game(positioning) than Wheeler who often steals from defense for offensive opportunities.

This is what I posted:

Laine 117GF 90GA +27

Wheeler 108GF 95GA +13

Ah yes, that famed Laine "efficiency." Are you sure he isn't just sucking wind along the boards?

Last edited:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
LOL, McDavid is no expert at the 2 way game but yet he gets a pass as the top point guy, sorry if Laine scores 60 he can ask and receive $13m as the best goal scorer in the league.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
He is the best 2 way forward in Jets. And 6th best player in the League. And he is young. 11M well deserved.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What he does this year will have a huge impact on the AAV.

Currently i doubt the organization wants to commit to 11M for 8 years. We all love Laine, but you'd be dumb not to see his many deficiencies. The kid is special in that he can put up the numbers he does while not looking like a superstar out there, and the potential to be a top winger of his generation is there but before you see him do it it's tough to sign a guy to that type of money, especially when wingers are generally worth less than centers.

However if he's dominant this year and the eye test matches his production, and he wins the rocket, then it'll make it much easier for the organization to lock him up to 10M+.

I still think his cap hit will be lower than people think but this season can change my opinion on that too.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets market is just not that cash flow cow that can pay this player over 10 million per. Can't pay everyone so either they trade a contract or trade him. He is an exceptional shooter but anyone think the Jets are not a good team without him.
The Jets have to fit their team under the same cap as every other team. Has nothing to do with cash flow, it just means they would have less to spend on other players they need/want to keep. On a few occasions Chevy has mentioned he was disappointed the cap didn't go up more this season. Sounds like a GM that has the green light to spend what he needs to for players.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

This is what I posted:

Laine 117GF 90GA +27

Wheeler 108GF 95GA +13

None of that proves anything. All you did was essentially post plus minus (decieving stat that doesn't take account several variables) and offensive zone starts, which favors Laine.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I reall hope not. Of Laine is getting 11 than marner will have every right to ask for 9-9.5 and Matthew's 12.

One thing Winnipeg has going for them is their relatively cap friendly cap hits. This is one reason why they have been outperforming teams like Edmonton and Toronto. If Laine gets 11 million however, then it’s haastellavista baby for Winnipeg’s chances at being a long term cup winner.

Hopefully, Laine plays “team ball” and accepts a cap friendly deal in the 8.5-9 million range.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Blame Edmonton and Buffalo. Edmonton played McDavid the world (understandably) but followed up by playing Draitsel too much. Buffslo matched with Eichel.

That broke the 2nd contract mold. anyone that thinks Laine isn't getting 10+ after those deals is naive

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Blame Edmonton and Buffalo. Edmonton played McDavid the world (understandably) but followed up by playing Draitsel too much. Buffslo matched with Eichel.

That broke the 2nd contract mold. anyone that thinks Laine isn't getting 10+ after those deals is naive
cut.jpeg

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If Laine plays in Toronto, there is a story on a regular basis in media labelling him the new Ovechkin. He's in Winnipeg, nowhere near all those eyes/ I could care less about Winnipeg but the kid is a pure goal scorer. The numbers are amazing for minutes he gets and let's not forget he's six months younger than Matthews. Sure, he's doesn't play centre and that Ovechkin's value has always sucked.
This kid might be the best young goal scorer in the NHL. Based on cap, $11 M is not that high. I'm not factoring in a Winnipeg premium or fact he would only take home $5.5 M of that.

Do you live under a rock?

People have been comparing Laine to Ovechkin since his rookie year. I would say he’s amongst the top 5 most discussed hockey players in the world since joining the league.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You're absolutely out of your mind if you don't think Laine doesn't get national coverage in Canada. And yes, $11 million is a very high cap hit. How many players in the league make more? Go ahead, name them. And what is the connection between the media and his salary? Or is this just some not so subtle way at taking shots at Toronto?

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
1. Dreger sources are other people's twitter
2. I hope not because that won't be good if it's signed before Matthew's is.

I love these kind of posts. So TSN pays him well to take other people info? That’s why you have your job and he has his!

Since you are so knowledgeable, send TSN your resume. Obviously they hire you and end DD contract.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I love these kind of posts. So TSN pays him well to take other people info? That’s why you have your job and he has his!

Since you are so knowledgeable, send TSN your resume. Obviously they hire you and end DD contract.
K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->