TSN: [Dreger] Expects Laine to get 11M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If Laine gets more than Matthews? the Jets.

He's more of a Nylander level player.

when was the last time Winnipeg actually got a decent player to come to their city via UFA???
you mean 1 that wasn't born there like Tavares. when was the last time Toronto got 1 that wasn't born there. sounds like you would be upset if Matthews signed for less then laine.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
People need to understand that when dealing with contracts in the NHL, it’s not about what you’re worth, it’s about what someone is willing to pay you or in other words, supply and demand. All Laine needs is another team to be willing to pay him $11M and he will get it.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Raejuusto

May 16, 2018
.....of which Wheeler is a key contributor and Laine a prime beneficiary. As long as the Jets' PP continues to perform both Wheeler and Laine's numbers will look good.
I believe you have that backwards. Unless you mean assists are worth more that goals

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I believe you have that backwards. Unless you mean assists are worth more that goals

You don't think Laine benefits from quality teammates-in particular on the PP? The impression I get from a lot of Laine fans is you can just prop him up anywhere on the ice at anytime and he's going to score. Do you think he would be nearly as effective on a bad team?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't think he is worth anywhere close to that (yet) but I also think the new wave on contracts is getting out of hand for the higher tier players.

Raejuusto

May 16, 2018

You don't think Laine benefits from quality teammates-in particular on the PP? The impression I get from a lot of Laine fans is you can just prop him up anywhere on the ice at anytime and he's going to score. Do you think he would be nearly as effective on a bad team?

Sure good players play well together. But Wheelers large rise in pp points in the last two seasons are partly due to Laine's arrival. Back to the topic Dreger is a professional speculator and can expect what he wants to expect, and even though Laine would easily fetch $11M aav on the open market I believe he will sign for $9,5-10M.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Might as well just pay the kid now before inflation if you can get term out of him. He is only going to get better. 8 years for $11 million wouldn't be that bad.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think he is worth anywhere close to that (yet) but I also think the new wave on contracts is getting out of hand for the higher tier players.

Top end players being paid the most money. What exactly is wrong with that?

15 years ago, Bobby Holik was making 9 million a year in a non-cap system. Factor in for inflation, that would be 12.3 million today.

Fact is, all this changes is teams league-wide will become more top heavy, and you'll see more and more smaller contracts for lesser players, and more player turnover, in the bottom 1/2 to bottom 3/4 of your roster.

More opportunity for guys on ELCs, less opportunity for UFA vets looking to cash in when they reach age 27 onward. How each team allocates their portion of league-wide salary cap is the teams problem on an individual basis.

One team might believe in having more guys in that 4-5-6-7 million range and less in the 1-2 million range is better than a team having 1-2 guys in the 10-12 million range, but more guys in the 1-2 million range.

Another team might believe the exact opposite, and laugh at teams paying 4-5 million for middle-range players, preferring to make sure their true superstars are looked after and turnover the rest of the roster if need be.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

So, basically any player will put up 44g on The Jets? It`s just that the other players on the PP have decided to get thoose good feeds to Laine. He is just another ordinary one-dimensional player thats barely a Top6 player on the Jets. Understood.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Most teams do trade a 20yr old 44g scorer. Can i suggest to Toronto for Marner to save 1M?

Not trading Marner for Laine, Marner is a highly skilled player ONE OF THE BEST in the league! Laine.....not so much!!!!!!!

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Not trading Marner for Laine, Marner is a highly skilled player ONE OF THE BEST in the league! Laine.....not so much!!!!!!!

I bet Leafs management would do the trade in a heartbeat and even add some. The scoringtouch Laine has is exceptional, maybe even generational. I dont see Marner having anything exceptional skillwise. He is what he is - A young very promising forward, but wont be the best in any category skillwise. Goalscorers are always the most sought accomodity. Laine will be a multiple Rocket winner in his career. He would be loved in Toronto and you know it.

Reactions: Snowman

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Teams with highly skilled players tend to advance in the playoffs.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I bet Leafs management would do the trade in a heartbeat and even add some. The scoringtouch Laine has is exceptional, maybe even generational. I dont see Marner having anything exceptional skillwise. He is what he is - A young very promising forward, but wont be the best in any category skillwise. Goalscorers are always the most sought accomodity. Laine will be a multiple Rocket winner in his career. He would be loved in Toronto and you know it.

I can say for sure that that Marner will have a better career because he is more skilled in more areas than Laine will ever be! And no Laine is NOT a generational goal scorer, not even close.

BTW Leafs have enough goal scorers, they need some players to play defensive hockey of which Laine is not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad