TSN: [Dreger] Expects Laine to get 11M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Hahahahahah I said the same damn thing.

Gaudreau just had 84 points this season and isn't close to Laine, who isn't even the best player on his team with Scheifele and Wheeler being there.

I'd love to know what 90 point wingers and point per game centers Gaudreau has played with. :laugh:
Lots of Calgary Flames fans in here I see! lol

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Wonder where Laine will be in 5 years development wise when he is same age as gaudreau now. Calgary would trade Johnny hockey for him in a nanosecond . Probably add a 1st too. What was Johnny doing at 19 20 21 certainly not scoring over 40 goals a year in nhl like Laine has and will do.
No kidding. Lots of Flames fans in here severely overrating Johnny Hockey.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
He could have given them problems. With the way players and agents are these days with contracts, you never know.

The problem is with that mentality that Eichel might be that skilled, but hasn't produced to nearly that level. I would have understood 8, maybe even 9, but he hasn't produced even near to the level of a McDavid. I understand buying out UFA years, but DRASTICALLY overpaying for that? I feel like Buffalo bid against themselves.
Fair and good points.

I do agree, Eichel is over paid.

I think it does give Laine's group some bargaining power.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Fair and good points.

I do agree, Eichel is over paid.

I think it does give Laine's group some bargaining power.

That's an absolutely valid point and one that will probably be integral in any contract negotiations.

I just think that if contracts like that keep getting handed out, we're headed for another year long lockout.

I know we can agree that no one wants to see that.

Reactions: Joe Sakic

paragon

May 5, 2010
Laine's definitely not an 11M player yet, 9-10 AAV without a doubt though.
It's not 11M for 1 year. It's for 8. 3 ufa years make a huge difference. Let's say he signs for 5 years now. Just think what he would be worth as a 26 year old UFA. Every team would want him. With cap inflation and everything he would probably make 14M per year. And if he's worth 9M average for the next 5 years then his 8 years would be worth 11M.

Reactions: Critical91

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If Laine plays in Toronto, there is a story on a regular basis in media labelling him the new Ovechkin. He's in Winnipeg, nowhere near all those eyes/ I could care less about Winnipeg but the kid is a pure goal scorer. The numbers are amazing for minutes he gets and let's not forget he's six months younger than Matthews. Sure, he's doesn't play centre and that Ovechkin's value has always sucked.
This kid might be the best young goal scorer in the NHL. Based on cap, $11 M is not that high. I'm not factoring in a Winnipeg premium or fact he would only take home $5.5 M of that.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
At age 21 Gaudreau produced 24 goals and 64 points...

At age 18 Laine produced 36 goals and 64 points in 7 fewer games.

Gaudreau just turned 25. Laine just turned 20.

Gaudreau: Never played against men before playing the NHL, jumped straight from the NCAA to the NHL, at 5'10 165lbs. 2nd season in the NHL 78 points, leading a team that didn't make the playoffs in scoring.

Laine: Played against men in Finland's top league before coming to the NHL at 6'5 200+ lbs. Second season in the NHL 70 points, playing on a team that went to the WCF, 2nd on his team in scoring by a 21 point margin and had a point per Game Center behind him that missed 22 games. Shit the bed in the playoffs after the first round.

It's not like Gaudreau was more physically developed in his 2nd season. Laine came in with a full grown man's body and Gaudreau STILL outperformed him in his first 2 years being having a teenager's body and coming straight from the NCAA.

Stop making excuses.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Sounds about right. If Eichel got 10 mil aav last year and Laine is definitely around the same level then I can see 11 mil per due to yearly inflation.

He definitely is not getting any less then 8 figures per year. No way he isnt at 10 mil aav or more.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I'm actually a Ranger fan who gets center ice every year.

Nice try though. :thumbu:

You must not have been at msg last season when Jets were visiting... All I heard before,during and after game was Laine,Laine,Laine.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Gaudreau: Never played against men before playing the NHL, jumped straight from the NCAA to the NHL, at 5'10 165lbs. 2nd season in the NHL 78 points, leading a team that didn't make the playoffs in scoring.

Laine: Played against men in Finland's top league before coming to the NHL at 6'5 200+ lbs. Second season in the NHL 70 points, playing on a team that went to the WCF, 2nd on his team in scoring by a 21 point margin and had a point per Game Center behind him that missed 22 games. **** the bed in the playoffs after the first round.

It's not like Gaudreau was more physically developed in his 2nd season. Laine came in with a full grown man's body and Gaudreau STILL outperformed him in his first 2 years being having a teenager's body and coming straight from the NCAA.

Stop making excuses.

You're really looking to compare a players 18 and 19 year old seasons to another players 21 and 22 year old seasons?

It doesn't matter that it was each their 1st two years in the league, 3 years is huge at that age.

Reactions: Snowman

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
2idrnb.jpg

Reactions: Eyeseeing

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Just tell me - how many 19yr olds have scored 44G in a season in the NHL?

"Since 1987-88, no NHL player has scored more goals as a teenager than Laine did with his 80, leaving Sidney Crosby (75), Ilya Kovalchuk (67) and Rick Nash (58) in the dust." -TSN

So, scoring more than Crosby, Kovalchuk and Nash is not generational, even though he is the best scoring teenager the game has seen? If the best is not enough, tell me what is generational? Something that doesnt exist?
He isn't generational. He just isn't. Generational players like McDavid dominate the entire game and absolutely just tilt the ice in all facets.

Besides his shot, Laine is exceptionally mediocre.
I do think a lot of Leaf fans are trolling here, and Laine is a phenomenal player. But he isn't generational at all.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You're really looking to compare a players 18 and 19 year old seasons to another players 21 and 22 year old seasons?

It doesn't matter that it was each their 1st two years in the league, 3 years is huge at that age.

The age doesn't matter as much as you think it does, unless you're not factoring in that Laine played against men before jumping straight into the NHL and came in with a more physically ready NHL body, while Gaudreau played against 18-22 year old in the NCAA and is far smaller than Laine.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You must not have been at msg last season when Jets were visiting... All I heard before,during and after game was Laine,Laine,Laine.

And this has what do with you using plus minus to try to argue that Laine is a better defensive player than Wheeler and being terribly wrong about that?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
The age doesn't matter as much as you think it does, unless you're not factoring in that Laine played against men before jumping straight into the NHL and came in with a more physically ready NHL body, while Gaudreau played against 18-22 year old in the NCAA and is far smaller than Laine.

It will be fum to bump this thread when Laine plays 2min/g and on the 1st line. I bet you wont answer then. Averaging 16min/g and scoring 44g isnt the normal.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He isn't generational. He just isn't. Generational players like McDavid dominate the entire game and absolutely just tilt the ice in all facets.

Besides his shot, Laine is exceptionally mediocre.
I do think a lot of Leaf fans are trolling here, and Laine is a phenomenal player. But he isn't generational at all.

What would you call Ovechkin? He sits in his "office" and scores and scores and scores. What else does he do really well but score goals. Sure, he has learned to backcheck a bit and other stuff. Laine will too. I don't know what generational means anymore but Ovechkin was the best scorer of his era. Not really close at -- his career goals based on scoring today make him one of the best ever.

The body of work for Laine is small but no smaller no other guys being heralded as great and getting massive paydays. I mean 80 goals in his first 155 games and the kid just turn 20 at the end of the season. What don't people get about how good a scorer this guy is? You can't teach a 19-year-old to score 44 in his second year - he has it or he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad