Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Its pretty funny that the team thats the best fit for him right now both in positional need and cap situation is the Ottawa Senators.

Perhaps a sign and trade would work for them to take a bad contract + picks

Reactions: Korg and voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Its pretty funny that the team thats the best fit for him right now both in positional need and cap situation is the Ottawa Senators.

Perhaps a sign and trade would work for them to take a bad contract + picks

That’s no different than team offloading a cap dump onto the Senators and team X signing Hoffman. The only diff would be Sens could retain on Hoffman and get even more value... like a top prospect.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
That’s no different than team offloading a cap dump onto the Senators and team X signing Hoffman. The only diff would be Sens could retain on Hoffman and get even more value... like a top prospect.

No, its different, its much worse than the simpler more logical options available.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Wings were dumb but also teams had cap space back then and supposedly Wings valued him as a legit player (weird). No team has space now. I think the NHL should allow compliance buyouts.
I disagree about compliance buyouts. It's an unfair advantage to rich owners in this environment, and the league hit them hard enough by having the owners get less than 50% HRR in the coming years by forcing the cap to stay up while freezing escrow.

Ultimately, some owners would want it but not enough to make a difference. The players probably want compliance buyouts to free up cash but they already signed onto the next CBA so there's no leverage there.

Reactions: go4hockey

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Maybe he has heard rumblings or he is just putting out an opinion but Lebrun had this to say about Hoffman and Canucks

paraphrasing

"Im not surprised Canucks camp once again talked to Hoffman this week, I dont know if Vancouver can make it fit, I dont think they can afford what other teams are offering right now, but i tell ya if I was Hoffman and his agent I would think long and hard about signing a bargain deal with Vancouver for a year, you come and play on that powerplay for 1 year and a 5 on 5 opportunity on top 6 with the kind of Trigger man Hoffman is, it would remind me of the deal Barrie signed and bet on himself, I would definitely think of that for Hoffman.

LeBrun: Still think the Canucks will be the next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kings would be happy to help Vancouver with their cap issues. Send Eriksson to LA... along with Podkolzin. Kings will send back Kupari or Clague if necessary.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thomas Drance of the Athletic Vancouer who also used to be employed by the Florida Panthers says he has been told Mike Hoffman definitely has chosen a team he wants to go to. Called them team "x"

Drance then says the only problem is team "X' needs to clear cap space before signing Hoffman. Hoffman's camp has given team X a grace period before they eventually have to sign one of the other offers. Apparently Hoffman has like 5 offers from 5 different teams.

Drance strongly suggested that team "X" is the Vancouver Canucks but hasnt been able to confirm it himself.

It sorta fits the clues tho as Canucks have a need in the top 6 but also is up against the cap.

I guess if we see someone like Virtanen, Sutter, Baertschi or Roussell traded soon then we can perhaps expect a Hoffman to Vancouver signing soon.

Friedman reported yesterday that Hoffman is possibly looking at a show me deal. It would be smart for Hoffman to sign with the young offensive Canucks to pump up his stats. He would either play beside Elias Pettersson or Bo Horvat

*will post the podcast radio hit as soon as tsn 1040 makes it availbale*

Assuming it’s vancouver....

Vancouver pieces they are trying to unload have no value.

Virtanen and Gaudette are unsigned RFAs. 1 of thrm could be signed in the $2Am cap space but not both. If both signed they’d have 15F

If they try to LTIR Ferland they have Peterson and Hughes they can use against it.

If the strategize doing this...

Right now 13/6/2 with about $2Am in space
Send down Peterson and Hughes to be
11/5/2 with around $3.9M in space
Sign Gaudette to $1M
Sign/ promote 7D for $900K
12/6/2 with $2.M in space

Say Hoffman signs at $5M thry need to create $3M in space.

Trade Suter at 25% creates about $3M in space

Virtanen coukd be mived innthat deal or seoarstly with nothing on the roster coming back other than a $900K 7D

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
If Hoffman is looking to oad stats in cash in next year were the market could change for him, there are about a dozen teams ahead of Vancouver were he could play

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
If Hoffman is looking to oad stats in cash in next year were the market could change for him, there are about a dozen teams ahead of Vancouver were he could play

Vancouver was 4th in the league in powerplay last year.

I think Hoffman could be looking at that and thinking jackpot.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Another little tid bit that fits this puzzle

Apparently Virtanen and Canucks have an extentsion signed but are awaiting to sign it to give Benning a couple of extra days to trade salary otherwise it looks like they will use that 2nd buyout window to move cap and buyout Sutter or Baertschi?

This might be what Hoffman's camp is waiting for?

Reactions: David71

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Another little tid bit that fits this puzzle

Apparently Virtanen and Canucks have an extentsion signed but are awaiting to sign it to give Benning a couple of extra days to trade salary otherwise it looks like they will use that 2nd buyout window to move cap and buyout Sutter or Baertschi?

This might be what Hoffman's camp is waiting for?

We will have enough for Virtanen and Gaudette by sending LE and Baertshi to Utica, assuming they’re come in at 4 total. Then the challenge of finding 4to5 million to lock Hoffman in starts. Not sure that’s even enough though, even if he wants to play here.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Assuming it’s vancouver....

Vancouver pieces they are trying to unload have no value.

Virtanen and Gaudette are unsigned RFAs. 1 of thrm could be signed in the $2Am cap space but not both. If both signed they’d have 15F

If they try to LTIR Ferland they have Peterson and Hughes they can use against it.

If the strategize doing this...

Right now 13/6/2 with about $2Am in space
Send down Peterson and Hughes to be
11/5/2 with around $3.9M in space
Sign Gaudette to $1M
Sign/ promote 7D for $900K
12/6/2 with $2.M in space

Say Hoffman signs at $5M thry need to create $3M in space.

Trade Suter at 25% creates about $3M in space

Virtanen coukd be mived innthat deal or seoarstly with nothing on the roster coming back other than a $900K 7D

Virtanen for Lauzon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad