Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Interesting if true.

On one hand, Benning has already walked away from Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli so I don't know how much luck Hoffman is going to have trying to strongarm Benning.

On the other hand, Benning might see Hoffman as the final puzzle piece for his roster (we need a top-6 scorer) and if he can't get him, there's nothing else available. So maybe he caves after all.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Sometimes its nice to think of an alternate reality where our GM has an understanding of general cap structure and when to spend. Especially at times when players may want to play for your team.

Then I get sad.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Interesting if true.

On one hand, Benning has already walked away from Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli so I don't know how much luck Hoffman is going to have trying to strongarm Benning.

On the other hand, Benning might see Hoffman as the final puzzle piece for his roster (we need a top-6 scorer) and if he can't get him, there's nothing else available. So maybe he caves after all.
I think it probably comes down to term. He couldn’t fit Toffoli in for 4 years but he may be able to squeeze Hoffman in for one year if he can move a short term contract.

Reactions: THE Green Man

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Yeah it's so screwed up that they were able to get a home trade for Schmidt and his 6 mil per year because they were one of the teams that can afford it.

Its not the prettiest cap, but what people dont understand is that even if they had 100 million in cap space I dont think they still would have wanted to invest 6 yrs and 4 years on Markstrom and Tanev.

Tofolli is proably the only UFA that I would have kept for what he signed for.

Also between next year and the year after there will be over 35million in expiring contracts for Van.

Tanev, Stecher and Markstrom were not going to be back because it didn't make sense to offer term with our younger guys who are coming up. Toffoli would have been back if the cap went up.

Hoffman would be a crazy add for this team. If we come out of this offseason with all our top prospects in tact, Schmidt, Hoffman and quality goaltending, we are in very good shape. After this season the cap crunch for us gets a lot easier.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
yes I’m sure you make lots of “batter” in bed :naughty:

giphy.gif

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Shouldn’t a team like the Canucks worry about signing Gaudette and Virtanen first?

How many teams truly have cap space left to take on a dump? At this point it will cost a first like Patrick Marleau did... if there is even a team that can take salary and cap.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Thomas Drance of the Athletic Vancouer who also used to be employed by the Florida Panthers says he has been told Mike Hoffman definitely has chosen a team he wants to go to. Called them team "x"

Drance then says the only problem is team "X' needs to clear cap space before signing Hoffman. Hoffman's camp has given team X a grace period before they eventually have to sign one of the other offers. Apparently Hoffman has like 5 offers from 5 different teams.

Drance strongly suggested that team "X" is the Vancouver Canucks but hasnt been able to confirm it himself.

It sorta fits the clues tho as Canucks have a need in the top 6 but also is up against the cap.

I guess if we see someone like Virtanen, Sutter, Baertschi or Roussell traded soon then we can perhaps expect a Hoffman to Vancouver signing soon.

Friedman reported yesterday that Hoffman is possibly looking at a show me deal. It would be smart for Hoffman to sign with the young offensive Canucks to pump up his stats. He would either play beside Elias Pettersson or Bo Horvat

*will post the podcast radio hit as soon as tsn 1040 makes it availbale*
It’s not obvious to anyone that he can improve upon two 35 goal seasons in a row?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes Hoffman is quite a bit better
H

I'd say Hoffman is a level higher.

He scores 25+ goals every year with ease it would seem.

He's a sniper.

Was yes him on the Habs for the simple reason he would improve our PP
Then considering Benning didn’t have the cap room to sign Tofoli, he’s definitely not got the cap space to sign a better player in Hoffman. So no way is Vancouver team “x”, right?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Interesting if true.

I think with the Canucks it all comes down to term. They need to open as much cap space as possible next season so if Hoffman is willing to sign a one year deal, and they can shed the necessary cap space this season, it could be a fit.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Heard it is the Wings, but they have to move Frans Nielsen first, so Hoffman doesn't catch whatever Frans caught that prevented him from playing even halfway decently.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Benning has been trying to move the usual crap contracts for months but now he is magically going to wish harder that a team is going to want one of them ?
He never attached any assets to make cap room when his MVP goalie was a UFA but now he might to sign Hoffman ? Whaaaaat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad