Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Friedman reported yesterday that Hoffman is possibly looking at a show me deal. It would be smart for Hoffman to sign with the young offensive Canucks to pump up his stats. He would either play beside Elias Pettersson or Bo Horvat
Show me deal??
The dude scored 36 goals two years ago and 29 in 69 last year.
He's a proven 25-35 goal 55-70 point guy.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Then considering Benning didn’t have the cap room to sign Tofoli, he’s definitely not got the cap space to sign a better player in Hoffman. So no way is Vancouver team “x”, right?
Toffoli isn't a guy you make a crazy move to find space to offer term for. If Hoffman is OK with a 1 year deal and isn't looking to break the bank, you at least try to find a way. He makes our top 6 scary good if it happens.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
It would be interesting to see the Canucks PP units with Hoffman. Lots of fire power. Could just have Hughes QB like 3 shooters with Horvat infront of the net lol.

Reactions: David71

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Show me deal??
The dude scored 36 goals two years ago and 29 in 69 last year.
He's a proven 25-35 goal 55-70 point guy.
Show me deal isn't the right term. It's knowing that nobody can offer money and term this offseason, so you wait until next year to sign long term. Hall doesn't need a "show me" deal either, but took one knowing that he could make more in the long run by hitting the market next year.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
One year would be great but I just don't see a way Van sheds enough salary. Jim doesn't seem willing to pay the price for his bad contracts.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Brutal to be a UFA for some guys.. Hoffman would be a prime candidate in any normal offseason to get an absurdly huge deal.

He woulda definately gotten a 7 year deal at a high salary that would most likely be regrettable for that team by about year 5 .. the usual thing that happens haha

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Show me deal isn't the right term. It's knowing that nobody can offer money and term this offseason, so you wait until next year to sign long term. Hall doesn't need a "show me" deal either, but took one knowing that he could make more in the long run by hitting the market next year.

$8M for a shortened season is a show me deal? Maybe slight discount.

Mar 20, 2010
Benning has been trying to move the usual crap contracts for months but now he is magically going to wish harder that a team is going to want one of them ?
He never attached any assets to make cap room when his MVP goalie was a UFA but now he might to sign Hoffman ? Whaaaaat.

True but isn't the report only saying that the team would need to clear space, not that they can or are necessarily even trying to?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Brutal to be a UFA for some guys.. Hoffman would be a prime candidate in any normal offseason to get an absurdly huge deal.

He woulda definately gotten a 7 year deal at a high salary that would most likely be regrettable for that team by about year 5 .. the usual thing that happens haha
maybe the collapsing cap is saving these GMs from themselves though. Hoffman is a prime candidate to get paid but imo a prime candidate to have the next big contract that ages poorly.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
$8M for a shortened season is a show me deal? Maybe slight discount.
No, what I'm saying is that Hall knows that more teams will be able to offer more him money and term next year than could this year with the flat cap. I feel Hoffman is in the same spot. "Show me" deal is not the right term for that at all. It's more like "waiting to cash in".

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Staal who cost more went for a 2nd like 2 weeks ago. No way moving Sutter cost a first

Eric Staal who makes $1M less than Sutter, plays twice as many games, and scores 20+ goals minimum? (And 42 goals two years ago) Of course he only cost a second... he’s still useful. Sutter is just a LTIR body.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Eric Staal who makes $1M less than Sutter, plays twice as many games, and scores 20+ goals minimum? (And 42 goals two years ago) Of course he only cost a second... he’s still useful. Sutter is just a LTIR body.

Marc Staal.....

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Benning has been trying to move the usual crap contracts for months but now he is magically going to wish harder that a team is going to want one of them ?
He never attached any assets to make cap room when his MVP goalie was a UFA but now he might to sign Hoffman ? Whaaaaat.

Again,

CAP wasnt the issue with Markstrom.

Van had over 15 million in cap space this summer. They could have signed Markstrom to 8 mil a year if they wanted.

But they didnt want to commit because Markstrom wanted (and got) a No Movement Clause.

giving Markstrom an NMC means bye bye to Thatcher Demko and that was a non starter and rightfully so for the Canucks.

6 years I believe is also something they didnt want to go forward with Markstrom.

Great for Markstrom and his Agent tho, they were able to get a 36 mil contract in a flat cap, during a low economy, for a 30 yr old coming off an injury filled season. Markstrom hit the jackpot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad