Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
IIRC they got a police no contact order and a civil suit filed against them. In those circumstances, either party might be crazy so probably best to steer clear of both of them if you care that much about character.

I read the case report. It honestly reads like a Gossip Girl episode

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I read the case report. It honestly reads like a Gossip Girl episode

Yes, it's a red flag on at least one of the parties (either Karlsson's wife for overreacting/lying, or Hoffman's wife for being a classless bully and wishing death on a baby). Why roll the dice on either one, especially for big money/term, if you pride your team on character?

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
The cap management has been an absolute joke. When your 3 best players are making under 12.5 million combined, 2 of them on ELCs and you've just tasted the playoffs for the first time there's just no way in hell you should be in a cap crunch. Benning's cap management is among the worst in the league if not the worst.

If the Canucks hadn't been wasting their money on junk they could have been weaponizing their cap space in the most opportune time to do so while signing great value deals like a Toffoli, Hoffman, Dandanov etc.

This is really an embarrassing spot to be in for Benning.
Not the only team like this just look at Rangers. Brendan Smith,Shattenkirk,Kreider,Trouba. Kreider and Trouba’s contracts have aged badly.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Not the only team like this just look at Rangers. Brendan Smith,Shattenkirk,Kreider,Trouba. Kreider and Trouba’s contracts have aged badly.

This is exactly it.

There are Canuck fans who seem to think that bad contracts are only a Benning thing and nobody else in the NHL.

Benning has built this incredible young core and going 3 straight years with at least a Calder Finalist but the 3rd and the 4th liners are overpaid so fire Benning!

Miller for 20th , 71st and AHL goalie

Schmidt for 3rd rnd pick

etc...

anyways back to convo,

I think only way hoffma signs in Vancouver is if its for 1 yr and under 5mil

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
This is exactly it.

There are Canuck fans who seem to think that bad contracts are only a Benning thing and nobody else in the NHL.

Benning has built this incredible young core and going 3 straight years with at least a Calder Finalist but the 3rd and the 4th liners are overpaid so fire Benning!

Miller for 20th , 71st and AHL goalie

Schmidt for 3rd rnd pick

etc...

anyways back to convo,

I think only way hoffma signs in Vancouver is if its for 1 yr and under 5mil
I see the Nucks,Preds,Red Wings and Montreal as the contenders for his services on a one year deal.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This is exactly it.

Can you provide another GM who has committed more than $25 million cap space to depth players (bottom 6/bottom pairing dmen) and dead cap space (Baer/Eriksson/Spooner buyout - didn't include Luongo recapture since Benning didn't sign that contract) for next season? This figure doesn't even include extensions to players like Gaudette/Leivo/Fantenberg and Virtanen if they sign another top 6 winger - which would be about an additional $5-6 mill.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Can you provide another GM who has committed more than $25 million cap space to depth players (bottom 6/bottom pairing dmen) and dead cap space (Baer/Eriksson/Spooner buyout - didn't include Luongo recapture since Benning didn't sign that contract)? This figure doesn't even include extensions to players like Gaudette/Leivo/Fantenberg and Virtanen if they sign another top 6 winger - which would be about an additional $5-6 mill.

Listen i dont defend it, i know they are bad contracts but the Canucks were a terrible team and needed to pay extra money or 1 year extra length on contracts to get supporting cast on their youngsters.

They didnt want them to grow in a culture where they can get taken advantage or not be competitive.

They have over 30 mil of expiring contracts coming up in the next 1-2 years. This will allow them to fully sign and bring in players that will support the core during their cup window. Thats all i care about

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Listen i dont defend it, i know they are bad contracts but the Canucks were a terrible team and needed to pay extra money or 1 year extra length on contracts to get supporting cast on their youngsters.

They didnt want them to grow in a culture where they can get taken advantage or not be competitive.

They have over 30 mil of expiring contracts coming up in the next 1-2 years. This will allow them to fully sign and bring in players that will support the core during their cup window. Thats all i care about

You just posted how Canucks fans think it's only Benning giving out awful contracts. So I gave you a fact pattern to show, to some extent, it is just Benning to allow you to refute it. Booooooooo, you failed.

Vancouver didn't need to give term to older, past their prime veterans or players who hadn't proven themselves. Just don't sign them and go for smarter, smaller contracts like Richardson and Connolly (before his new contract). Vancouver is a desirable city to sign in and the team would become competitive off their high draft picks regardless of most of the UFAs signed in the earlier years.

Resorting to the tired veteran mentorpede argument, once again, booooo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver "Journalism", where "Team X" is a good scoop. Despite the fact the author could literally claim "aha!" on pretty much any team the guy signs with.

Genius faux reporting.

Reactions: Snipes45

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Didn't this same rumor go around with Hall and then he went on and signed with Buffalo?

I can believe that he's looking for a one-year deal but I wouldn't lock myself into thinking it's just one team he's considering anymore.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
teamx.jpeg

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Weird if it's Vancouver, since Benning always comments on the good character of players on the team, and "bad character" players have always failed here (Leipsic, Prust, Del Zotto). Hoffman was basically charged with cyber bullying and/or harassment, at least alleged of it.
FWIW, Hoffman seemed to do well in FLA - no controversy there whatsoever.
Obviously some concern may remain, but as long as Karlsson is not on your team, I don't think it should stop the GMs from signing him.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Not sure I’d pick Hoffman over Tatar... unless it’s for contractual reasons.
Sure, Hoffman is a better shooter but Tatar brings more to the table in my opinion.
I feel like some fans are letting a small 10 game sample cloud their evaluation of him this off season.

A few reasons to explain this possibility.

Tatar will become Ufa next summer and with many other free agents, could be hard to re-sign

You get a pick/prospects for him and you could sign Hoffman for free. So in reality, you trade Tatar for Hoffman and prospects

Hoffman, like him or not is one of the good goal scorer in this league but also, he's been a clutch playoffs performer (albeit short sample) while Tatar has been struggling.

So in many ways, this would be a great move from Bergevin and you improve the Habs now and future.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I doubt someone like Hoffman would want to go to the Isles and play in their system.
In a one year “show me” contract to earn more next contract there’s no way Hoffman goes to the Islanders. But, if he gets a fair contract with term, then he will.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Vancouver may actually have around $32M in some expiring contracts on depth players in one to two years, but they don't have as much flexibility as you might think. During that same period, they will presumably extend Hughes and Petterson to long term contracts. Boeser will need to be extended as well. Between those three players, Vancouver may easily use two thirds of that cap relief (expiring contracts). This doesn't even include a Demko extension and Horvat needing to be extended in the not to distant future.

The point is that you have less flexibility to spend on large, longer term UFA contracts than you might think on the surface.

I look at Colorado as a similar case. Colorado has a number of expiring contracts, but they will be spending much of that on large contract extensions on core players. They will have to let some good players on expiring players walk in the process. It stresses the importance of having cheap young depth players to fill in the gaps.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad