Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Starting to have some doubts about Drake. When he isn't scoring he is totally invisible minus being weak on the puck + giveaways. Can't think of anything he does well minus the streaky scoring.

The challenge for the Sens is to give him a contact that properly pays him for his strengths and weaknesses while keeping him motivated to improve his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adrianopolous

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Agreed. It’s something the Sens should aim for. I think a 6 x 4.5M would get it done. I’d still do it.
I think I'd rather not gamble on signing a bad deal and just give him something for 3-4 years at his market value. 4 years @ $4M would be great. Not back loaded since I think that elevates his next ask.

Reactions: Sweatred

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think I'd rather not gamble on signing a bad deal and just give him something for 3-4 years at his market value. 4 years @ $4M would be great. Not back loaded since I think that elevates his next ask.
That walks him to UFA and all players are getting backloaded deals with deescalating escrow. The Sens have some big tickets coming up so it’s key to make decisions on core pieces coming off ELC as they need to find value. We won’t be a perennial cap team so playing the bridge game won’t fly here.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd look more at 2 years at 2.75 or 3 mil. No more than that.

It looks low, but you have to remember - flat cap for a couple seasons at least. And this year is NOT a true indication how any young player in the league will fare in their career...too many oddities this season.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Correct me if I am wrong, but would Drake have 4 more year before being a UFA? I don't think the Sens should have to push term or salary for him. I think if you can buy one year of UFA would be ideal, whether that means a 4-5 year deal and keep the cap hit lower. Drake is a great player, but I think he still has to prove that he will be a consistent player at the NHL level, and even then I don't see him becoming an Elite player in the league and may be easier to sign him without a exaggerated cap hit, once he does gain UFA status. I just kinda think that $3M for arb years could be attractive, I dunno.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That walks him to UFA and all players are getting backloaded deals with deescalating escrow. The Sens have some big tickets coming up so it’s key to make decisions on core pieces coming off ELC as they need to find value. We won’t be a perennial cap team so playing the bridge game won’t fly here.
I'm willing to take the gamble on the UFA years. I'd rather gamble that guys won't sign and need to be dealt, rather than gamble on long-term deals projecting continued player development. Historically, this team would have been so much better off had we just paid players market value on shorter deals.

When those long deals work we might save a few bucks. But for a budget team it only takes one Bobby Ryan to nullify all of the others and sink the team for years.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Before we impart sainthood on him.

he is 22, will be 23 in 9 days. While young in life's sense, it is middle age in the modern game.
23 points in 40 games..translates to 47 points in 82 games. That would have ranked him in the 120-130 zone in the 18/19 season. (Which is where he is this year).
his plus/minus is -14..on a very weak team, so he can be forgiven

his last 15 games (March 4 to Feb 7th): 5 points, 3 goals, (-)9 +/-. Extrapolate those numbers and it does not look pretty!

While his productivity has improved this season, it is only marginally better than his 18/19 and 20/21 seasons.

These "young Sens" are regressing in the second half of a shortened season. The team's loses are "prettier", far less 7-1 blow outs, but there are just as many as in the first 20 games. And the offensive productivity for many of the young guys has dipped...Norris aside.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm willing to take the gamble on the UFA years. I'd rather gamble that guys won't sign and need to be dealt, rather than gamble on long-term deals projecting continued player development. Historically, this team would have been so much better off had we just paid players market value on shorter deals.

When those long deals work we might save a few bucks. But for a budget team it only takes one Bobby Ryan to nullify all of the others and sink the team for years.

^THIS^ ... EK is the only longish term deal that produced any positive value -Recently Ryan, White, Murray, Smith etc all were or project to have tonnes of negative value. With that saved money we could have easily given EK the $2-3 extra he may have deserved.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If you go bridge on guys you identify as core you wind up paying high dollars for their declining years. Let’s use Batherson as an example. You sign him for 3 years at 3M which is easily market value. If he becomes a 60-65 point player he will need over 7M until he is 34. Basically bridging a player forces a trade or bad value contract if the player progresses normally. I like identifying core piece and locking them up until they are 29-30 years old.

Reactions: PlayOn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Drake Batherson is second on the team in scoring in basically his first full yr in the NHL. He has shown lots of examples of his skill level & he has backed it up with putting pts on the board without a top six centre most of the yr. Josh Norris who has also been great this yr & the better of the two real rookies IMO has centered Batherson & Stutzle a few times, but it hasn't really clicked. He seems to do better with Tkachuk, but they need a top six RWer, hopefully that's Pinto for the remainder of the season.

Once they get a good centre between Stutzle & Batherson they should be better. Still don't get with how well Nick Paul has played this yr that they have yet to put him between those two when they clearly need a better centre. Hopefully, he is considered as a backup if L. Brown doesn't work out, at least give him a few games, although it's more likely it could be Pinto. At least they are getting more options once they unload some of these vets.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Before we impart sainthood on him.

he is 22, will be 23 in 9 days. While young in life's sense, it is middle age in the modern game.
23 points in 40 games..translates to 47 points in 82 games. That would have ranked him in the 120-130 zone in the 18/19 season. (Which is where he is this year).
his plus/minus is -14..on a very weak team, so he can be forgiven

his last 15 games (March 4 to Feb 7th): 5 points, 3 goals, (-)9 +/-. Extrapolate those numbers and it does not look pretty!

While his productivity has improved this season, it is only marginally better than his 18/19 and 20/21 seasons.

These "young Sens" are regressing in the second half of a shortened season. The team's loses are "prettier", far less 7-1 blow outs, but there are just as many as in the first 20 games. And the offensive productivity for many of the young guys has dipped...Norris aside.

I am SO SICK of reading stuff like "23 is middle age in Hockey" and "players typically peak in their age 22 season".

No it f***ing isn't. Give your head a rinse.

I could list innemurable players who finally got going at the age of 23 (Stone), or broke out after that age (Paul), but it wouldn't even matter.

Why are people complaining about losing "middle-aged" Balcers then?

Why is 23 "middle-aged" even, when most players get their career going at this age?

As for Batherson... guy has hit a wall and is on the verge of breaking through. Still a young guy, and a late bloomer. You have to treat him just like Stu.

I'll be laughing when "over-the-hill" Batherson breaks out for 60 points next season.

Sorry, I had to vent. It just feels like people have fixated on the 08/09 Pens (which was kind of a fluke) and the 09/10-15 CHI dynasty, while ignoring both every other winner as well as the actual makeup of these teams.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I am SO SICK of reading stuff like "23 is middle age in Hockey" and "players typically peak in their age 22 season".

I could list innemurable players who finally got going at the age of 23 (Stone), or broke out after that age (Paul), but it wouldn't even matter.

Why is 23 "middle-aged" even, when most players get their career going at this age?

As for Batherson... guy has hit a wall and is on the verge of breaking through. Still a young guy, and a late bloomer. You have to treat him just like Stu.

I'll be laughing when "over-the-hill" Batherson breaks out for 60 points next season.

Sorry, I had to vent. It just feels like people have fixated on the 08/09 Pens (which was kind of a fluke) and the 09/10-15 CHI dynasty, while ignoring both every other winner as well as the actual makeup of these teams.

Agreed.

The kid has never played a schedule like this before (who has?) and it's his first full year in the NHL at age 22. And people are upset about a 47 point pace?

The guy is going to be a top six player for the next 6-8 years (maybe more). Either sign him for 3 years (still RFA) or 6 years (get some UFA years).

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think he has had very high expectations due to how he finished up in junior and dominated the AHL.

Couple that with his 6 game goal scoring streak, most of which highlight worthy and then this drop in production seems more pronounced. There have been some bad bounces as well.

I like him a lot and believe in him but hoping for a resurgence before the season is done. He is involved in good opportunities each game...yesterday that line had at least 3 or 4 good looks and not sure any of them turned in to a shot on net.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020

I could list innumerable players who finally got going at the age of 23 (Stone), or broke out after that age (Paul), but it wouldn't even matter.

I hope so guy..If indeed Batherson blossoms, that is a win. If he does not and coupled with a huge contract, well, we have another White on a team that cannot afford one.

The basic reality is: the Sens are heading towards their worst year of the last 4. The young guns which looked awfully good in February are stalling and that is troubling. Most stats for the team look worse than the 3 years previous!!

I certainly hope you are right and a switch turns on..there are 4-5 guys that had better hit that switch at the same time. Tkachuk ...this will be season 3 of nearly identical stats. ~ 45-48 points, not exactly Hart trophy candidacy!!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If someone Stutzle was where Batherson is now at 22/23, maybe I'd be worried.

But Batherson was always a late bloomer. He had a super late growth spurt. He was an overager draft pick. And most importantly, he's continually progressing. Sure, he's been cold the last couple of weeks, but that means nothing. It's just statistical noise. Zoom out, and you'll see he just took a huge step. This is his first season as a full time NHL regular, and he leads the team in goals and is one point behind the lead in points. What more can you ask of a 22/23 year old?

Reactions: cudi

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I hope so guy..If indeed Batherson blossoms, that is a win. If he does not and coupled with a huge contract, well, we have another White on a team that cannot afford one.

The basic reality is: the Sens are heading towards their worst year of the last 4. The young guns which looked awfully good in February are stalling and that is troubling. Most stats for the team look worse than the 3 years previous!!

I certainly hope you are right and a switch turns on..there are 4-5 guys that had better hit that switch at the same time. Tkachuk ...this will be season 3 of nearly identical stats. ~ 45-48 points, not exactly Hart trophy candidacy!!

The basic reality is this is the first season we've relied primarily on kids as the core players of this club. Last season, we had guys like Pageau, Ennis and Namestnikov in our top 6. This season, they've been replaced by kids like Batherson(22), Stutzle(19), and Norris(20).

The fact of the matter is, kids are always going to be inconsistent and go though deeper cold streaks. It's been a fact since the beginning of hockey. In the grander scheme of the rebuild, it's absolutely not troubling that they've gone cold the last few weeks. That's why we have vets like Brown, Dadonov, and Anisimov who have picked up some of the slack these last few weeks.

Reactions: Sen sational
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad