Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Your analysis makes sense with the Brown comp but it silly for Bath to be paid less than White.

White's contract has the same fractional value as 100 other contracts.

Negotiations will be over if the starting point is, "White got this so I need to be paid more".

I understand your point but think you vastly over rate the White contract as a benchmark for all future Senators contracts.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
White's contract has the same fractional value as 100 other contracts.

Negotiations will be over if the starting point is, "White got this so I need to be paid more".

I understand your point but think you vastly over rate the White contract as a benchmark for all future Senators contracts.

I hope so … and by no means is this a White bashing point … but White’s camp obviously used comps to secure his $4.75 and Bath is clearly better than that 3 year old comparison. Most here thought White’s 14 G / 40pt was well worth $4.75 going forward. Apply that to Bath and he’s $5+.

Bath is better than White in his contract year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So i guess drake is a sniper now. Says a lot when a guy can transition from a playmaker to a goal scorer the way he has.

Well he led Belleville in scoring one yr by a lot & was second to Norris the next only because he was called up to Ottawa & stayed here while Norris caught up to him in the scoring race & surpassed him. I think he is both a scorer & playmaker & can do a lot of things well plus I like his size & wish he would use the body more, he's capable.

Anyone have an estimate for his next contract?

Rather than pay him, would anyone consider packaging him as part of a trade for a bigger fish?

I don't think they should trade him, he's still quite young coming into his prime. He's got good size, is a decent skater who can make plays or score, he can play centre or RW & he can drop them if necessary. IMO he has all of the components to be a great powerforward & looks great with Norris & Tkachuk. They make for a really good top line.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I hope so … and by no means is this a White bashing point … but White’s camp obviously used comps to secure his $4.75 and Bath is clearly better than that 3 year old comparison. Most here thought White’s 14 G / 40pt was well worth $4.75 going forward. Apply that to Bath and he’s $5+.

No doubt but if comps were to single players on individual teams it would be a disaster...there are players paid less than White who produce more so why not compare to them?

Just don't see White being the comparable...even plays a different position.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No doubt but if comps were to single players on individual teams it would be a disaster...there are players paid less than White who produce more so why not compare to them?

Just don't see White being the comparable...even plays a different position.

I’m agreeing with you … I’m suggesting that the type of comps that were used to justify White’s $4.75 could be used to get Bath that or more $$$.

Reactions: OD99

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I am unsure what will happen here...Part of me wants him locked up for a long term deal,the other looks at Colin White and says no way..Need more proof ...

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

It's unfortunate for Batherson that he had his breakout season during a pandemic in which teams had a massive drop in revenue for 1.5 seasons. Benchmarking against contracts that were signed pre-COVID won't be super effective.

More accurate comparables (all COVID era deals) are:

Victor Olofsson (age 23), coming off 20G, 42P in 54GP - 2 years at $3.05M per
Oscar Lindblom (age 23), coming off 11G, 18P in 30GP - 3 years at $3.05M per
Dominik Kubalik (age 24), coming off 30G, 46P in 68GP - 2 years at $3.7M per
Kevin Labanc (age 24), coming off 14G, 33P in 70 GP (but 56 points season prior) - 4 years at $4.725 per

On a short bridge (2-3 years), Batherson is likely looking at $3-3.5M per.
On a longer deal (4-6 years), I'd guess $4.5-5M per.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
$5 mil @ 5 yrs he's way better than White & playing on the top line & looks great with Tkachuk & Norris or with anyone else. He helped to make L. Brown & Paul a great line in the AHL too, this guy is a keeper.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It's unfortunate for Batherson that he had his breakout season during a pandemic in which teams had a massive drop in revenue for 1.5 seasons. Benchmarking against contracts that were signed pre-COVID won't be super effective.

More accurate comparables (all COVID era deals) are:

Victor Olofsson (age 23), coming off 20G, 42P in 54GP - 2 years at $3.05M per
Oscar Lindblom (age 23), coming off 11G, 18P in 30GP - 3 years at $3.05M per
Dominik Kubalik (age 24), coming off 30G, 46P in 68GP - 2 years at $3.7M per
Kevin Labanc (age 24), coming off 14G, 33P in 70 GP (but 56 points season prior) - 4 years at $4.725 per

On a short bridge (2-3 years), Batherson is likely looking at $3-3.5M per.
On a longer deal (4-6 years), I'd guess $4.5-5M per.

I agree Dave but there are 2000 posts that say White was a good deal compared to league comps when he has less goals, less points, less intangibles.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I agree Dave but there are 2000 posts that say White was a good deal compared to league comps when he has less goals, less points, less intangibles.

Sure, but that has zero impact on the deal that Batherson will be able to get. It's a non-factor.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sure, but that has zero impact on the deal that Batherson will be able to get. It's a non-factor.

I agree that White sucking has zero impact … but the same comps that justified White at $5 million could be used to pay Bath more than $5.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I agree that White sucking has zero impact … but the same comps that justified White at $5 million could be used to pay Bath more than $5.

The comps are completely different, since the economic landscape of the NHL has shifted considerably since White signed that contract.

Batherson will not be able to compare himself to a player who signed in 2018 or 2019, when money was flowing and the cap was increasing, and expected to continue increasing, for years to come.

It's a flat cap, 18 months without ticket revenue world now.

Him and his agent can yell that he's better than White until they're blue in the face. It doesn't mean they'll get a $5+M per year contract.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The comps are completely different, since the economic landscape of the NHL has shifted considerably since White signed that contract.

Batherson will not be able to compare himself to a player who signed in 2018 or 2019, when money was flowing and the cap was increasing, and expected to continue increasing, for years to come.

It's a flat cap, 18 months without ticket revenue world now.

Him and his agent can yell that he's better than White until they're blue in the face. It doesn't mean they'll get a $5+M per year contract.

Cap still the same as what paid him $4.75 maybe less inflation ? There still age inflation/improvement bully in too. Well see what players will get. It’s still a percentage of revenue anyway vs amount of cap.

Teams are tighter because new cap space isn't opening - but players aren’t really taking a cut.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The gamble that Dorion made on White living up to his contract, his exactly the deal I hope he does with Batherson.

Hopefully he isn't skittish to try and do it again and buy up some years.
Yeah, I'd have zero issues giving Batherson White's contract. We bet on White progressing faster than he has, and the risk is/was mitigated because you can buy out contracts at 1/3rd for player under 26. The gamble not paying off doesn't make it a bad gamble to take, and imo Batherson is a bit safer a bet.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

White? Right now the are waiting for Brady to sign so the can point at those numbers.
Trying to land right in the middle of those 2 while bluffing Brady money is probably what they want.
At least telling Duclaire to F off signals they won't beg and overpay when push comes to shove

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
To be fair we saw far more offensive skills in Batherson in his first full season than we ever have with White...So if we could get him locked down to a long term deal I think we likely should

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am waiting to see him in some vids with Sid, Marchand and Nate...getting faster, quicker more intense.

Those guys could open up a pro camp when they are done and instantly command huge dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad