Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Happy Graduation to the Drake!

He played in his 65th game last night, so he officially moves on from 'Prospect' status.

I think the timing for this is perfect as it has just been in the last 10 games or so that he has seemed to really find his confidence and is playing his best hockey (so far) as an Ottawa Senator. The Sens have done a nice job developing him in Belleville over the last 2 seasons, with him having played just over 100 games in the AHL.

At just 22 years old, I think we are just starting to see what this player can do. I see him as a consistent 25g/60pts player in the top 6 and seeing regular PP duty. If he continues to play on a line with a player Jimmy Stu, those numbers could go even higher. He has good size, is a good skater, has playmaking skills and seems to be in the right spot at the right time around the net, which tells me he has good instincts for the game.

We know that he skates with Crosby, Marchand and Mackinnon out East in the Summer and he seems to be the type to be soaking up what he can from these guys in terms of leadership and what it takes to win. I can see him being a part of the leadership group for years to come.

Next up for Graduation: Erik Brannstrom (41 NHL games played)

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Good point. I initially thought it should not come down to just pts, but then that turns it into a beauty pageant & who people like the most. Therefore I guess pts will have to be the measure. And we could add Tkachuk to this contest as well & maybe even Paul & White. Maybe it should be the best forward, but Tkachuk does so many things it's hard to argue against him IMO. Doesn't he lead the team in numerous categories already? They have some really good young players & hopefully a bunch more coming soon.
I honestly think that he'd need to outpace Brady by about 15 pts to be in the conversation of them being equals. Such an odd thing to try to compare Brady to anybody.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Who do people think will end up as the best player at the end of this season between Stutzle, Batherson & Norris?

1. Batherson - the best playmaker on this team
2. Norris - the most complete player of the three
3. Stutzle - potentially the best goal scorer

Subtle rearranging...I am just waiting for Norris to stop fanning on those one-timers and the goals will jump up.
2. Stutzle - the most complete player of the three
3. Norris - potentially the best goal scorer

Stutzle is already the most responsible forward defensively which is crazy. Not in terms of always managing the puck well, he has that youthful exuberance that leads him to risky plays but how he reads the play in our end and is in great position.

He and Bath both read plays very well and while not at Stone levels both steal pucks and have active sticks - with Stutzle being so young he could easily turn into the TKA machine Stone is.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Batherson is our 2nd most skilled forward besides Stutzle and it's not close IMO. Tkachuk and Norris bring other elements but in terms of pure skill, its Jimmy then Drake then everyone else.

I still think at his peak he will finish at least 1 season top 10 in NHL scoring, that's how high I am on Batherson and no one should be questioning who is our future RW1.

Given our limited picks that year, 2017 was a hell of a draft for us in getting Formenton and Batherson who both have increase their draft stock dramatically (both would be mid-low 1st rounders in a redraft).

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Batherson is our 2nd most skilled forward besides Stutzle and it's not close IMO. Tkachuk and Norris bring other elements but in terms of pure skill, its Jimmy then Drake then everyone else.

I still think at his peak he will finish at least 1 season top 10 in NHL scoring, that's how high I am on Batherson and no one should be questioning who is our future RW1.

Given our limited picks that year, 2017 was a hell of a draft for us in getting Formenton and Batherson who both have increase their draft stock dramatically (both would be mid-low 1st rounders in a redraft).

He might be able too but unfortunately he is almost at his physical peak/prime top ten is a huge ask peak 65 points would be fine also

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Glad to see him shoot more. Teams are looking for Drake to try that cross ice pass to Stutzle. You know that opponents talk about it because Rittich was keeping an eye on Timmy which gave Drake the chance to rip one. He has all the tools, plus the confidence of the coach. I think he is just scratching the surface. Is he going to be a superstar? Maybe. If he has Timmy on his line, anything is possible

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Points don't tell the whole story, they are a byproduct of how Batherson was playing already.

He has generated the most opportunities of anyone on the team consistently all season.

This is true but it's also accurate to say he's turned it around. Early in the season he was always trying the cross ice pass thru the box on the PP, missing it and the puck was going the other way. He's starting to shoot it now and the dual threat of the shot and the pass opens things up. He's got a heck of a shot....nice to see him using it

Reactions: OD99

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hard to believe this post was less than a week ago.

He's posted 1/3rd of his total points since then, and had just posted 1/3rd of his points up to that point in the two games prior. Even still, 1.3pts/60 at even strength is nothing to write home about. He's great on the PP, but he is nowhere near consistent enough at ES to be anointed as much more than a middle 6/depth scoring winger on a good team at this point.

Not saying he won't continue to improve, I am a big fan of Drake's, but he's far from where he will be and far from where we will need him to be.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Subtle rearranging...I am just waiting for Norris to stop fanning on those one-timers and the goals will jump up.
2. Stutzle - the most complete player of the three
3. Norris - potentially the best goal scorer

Stutzle is already the most responsible forward defensively which is crazy. Not in terms of always managing the puck well, he has that youthful exuberance that leads him to risky plays but how he reads the play in our end and is in great position.

He and Bath both read plays very well and while not at Stone levels both steal pucks and have active sticks - with Stutzle being so young he could easily turn into the TKA machine Stone is.

It's interesting how people see things so differently isn't it? IMO Tkachuk is the best forward on this team who does a hundred different things per game to help his team win, he's a whatever it takes player. Batherson is next with his great vision, IQ & passing ability, he's slick with the puck & finds guys everywhere no matter how many legs are in the way. Stutzle IMO is going to be a great goal scorer & while a great skater needs to improve his vision, IQ & passing ability which will likely come quickly.

Norris also has some interesting & different attributes, he seems more of a goal scorer than passer, but he has made some nice plays occasionally & plays a solid defensive game. Paul has turned into a very good defensive forward with some interesting offensive skillset. While he lines up as a LW he seems to play a lot in the centre of the rink & forechecking deep in the O-zone & he takes a lot of faceoffs. I don't think it would be that big a change for him to place him at centre. L. Brown should be on this list because he has the size & skillset to be a very good NHL player but injuries & his own mindset seem to be holding him back. He is a gifted stick handler & playmaker & would be great with these forwards, but as of yet can't seem to convince anyone he is NHL ready. Whether it's the org holding him back or his own lack of determination & desire needs to be reconciled.

I also think Formenton is going to be a very good forward for this team with his speed an aggressive forechecking style & grit. He found a scoring touch last yr & hopefully it carries on with Ottawa. Pinto is another player I think will be a very good forward with Ottawa, he's big, tough, strong on the puck & he can score with that quick shot from almost anywhere around the net. These are the kind of forwards I always wanted this team to draft & sign, big, skilled, tough players who have sound fundamentals & can put the puck in the net from anywhere. One thing is for sure they certainly have a number of pieces that makes up a contending team & all they lack is time, experience & maybe goaltending. The defence is a work in progress too.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He started with 2 rookies and still has a rookie and generally a middling C on his line.

Defensive unit that can't manage controlled exits or entries outside of Chabot and a PP that went 0 for 8 games.

Not sure what the expectations were for some but it was only a matter of time based on how much he had the puck and was making positive plays with it.

This is a great streak he is on but I think we see a lot more games like he played recently and doubt there will be big droughts. I'm a full believer.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's interesting how people see things so differently isn't it? IMO Tkachuk is the best forward on this team who does a hundred different things per game to help his team win, he's a whatever it takes player. Batherson is next with his great vision, IQ & passing ability, he's slick with the puck & finds guys everywhere no matter how many legs are in the way. Stutzle IMO is going to be a great goal scorer & while a great skater needs to improve his vision, IQ & passing ability which will likely come quickly.

Norris also has some interesting & different attributes, he seems more of a goal scorer than passer, but he has made some nice plays occasionally & plays a solid defensive game. Paul has turned into a very good defensive forward with some interesting offensive skillset. While he lines up as a LW he seems to play a lot in the centre of the rink & forechecking deep in the O-zone & he takes a lot of faceoffs. I don't think it would be that big a change for him to place him at centre. L. Brown should be on this list because he has the size & skillset to be a very good NHL player but injuries & his own mindset seem to be holding him back. He is a gifted stick handler & playmaker & would be great with these forwards, but as of yet can't seem to convince anyone he is NHL ready. Whether it's the org holding him back or his own lack of determination & desire needs to be reconciled.

I also think Formenton is going to be a very good forward for this team with his speed an aggressive forechecking style & grit. He found a scoring touch last yr & hopefully it carries on with Ottawa. Pinto is another player I think will be a very good forward with Ottawa, he's big, tough, strong on the puck & he can score with that quick shot from almost anywhere around the net. These are the kind of forwards I always wanted this team to draft & sign, big, skilled, tough players who have sound fundamentals & can put the puck in the net from anywhere. One thing is for sure they certainly have a number of pieces that makes up a contending team & all they lack is time, experience & maybe goaltending. The defence is a work in progress too.

Agree with pretty much everything here and excited about the type of prospects we have coming too.

My Stutzle comment is based on how often I see him stealing pucks, gathering pucks in our zone and helping the D from the W position. He is a 200 foot player with top end skill.

Will never be able to compare he and Brady as they are just totally different players and excel at very different things...both with great impact.

Reactions: aragorn

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He's posted 1/3rd of his total points since then, and had just posted 1/3rd of his points up to that point in the two games prior. Even still, 1.3pts/60 at even strength is nothing to write home about. He's great on the PP, but he is nowhere near consistent enough at ES to be anointed as much more than a middle 6/depth scoring winger on a good team at this point.

And yet, people who have been following this kid have known how good he is for ages, and didn't wait for the stat line to tell them what their eyes could already plainly see.

Kind of like how we drafted Brady.

Stick to your guns, though, we'll chat again in a couple weeks.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
And yet, people who have been following this kid have known how good he is for ages, and didn't wait for the stat line to tell them what their eyes could already plainly see.

Kind of like how we drafted Brady.

Stick to your guns, though, we'll chat again in a couple weeks.

Lol, I don’t think you get what I’m arguing at all.

Batherson will be a good top 6er, if not a good top liner. Very possibly at some point this season. To this point, the ES play has not been there close to consistently enough - even without considering points. What he is a few weeks from now has no bearing on what he was 5 days ago, or what he is today. If you think his body of work to this point has been that of a legit top 6er (the whole season - not just the last 5 games), you’re quite frankly out to lunch (or just have very low expectations). And this idea that Batherson has been some hidden gem that you and a select group have recognized is silly. He’s been one of our top prospects for years and has progressed as well as anyone can hope. Also bringing up Brady as though I wasn’t vocally boosting him well before we picked him... same with Norris, same with other “underproducers”.

If you think we have anything to chat about in a couple of weeks, well, you still don’t get it.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Lol, I don’t think you get what I’m arguing at all.

Batherson will be a good top 6er, if not a good top liner. Very possibly at some point this season. To this point, the ES play has not been there close to consistently enough - even without considering points. What he is a few weeks from now has no bearing on what he was 5 days ago, or what he is today. If you think his body of work to this point has been that of a legit top 6er (the whole season - not just the last 5 games), you’re quite frankly out to lunch (or just have very low expectations). And this idea that Batherson has been some hidden gem that you and a select group have recognized is silly. He’s been one of our top prospects for years and has progressed as well as anyone can hope. Also bringing up Brady as though I wasn’t vocally boosting him well before we picked him... same with Norris, same with other “underproducers”.

If you think we have anything to chat about in a couple of weeks, well, you still don’t get it.

Guy is a top six, and he's looked like one all season. He's on a bad team.

If you want to nickel and dime him by saying "he looked like a top sixer for these 10 games, but not these 5 and the other 12 he only looked like a middle six, so he won't be a legit top six until he puts up another 5 good games at which point he for sure is", that's fine.

I think that's the wrong standard.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Guy is a top six, and he's looked like one all season. He's on a bad team.

If you want to nickel and dime him by saying "he looked like a top sixer for these 10 games, but not these 5 and the other 12 he only looked like a middle six, so he won't be a legit top six until he puts up another 5 good games at which point he for sure is", that's fine.

I think that's the wrong standard.

I completely disagree that he's been a top 6 for the majority of the season. If the first 20 games of his season repeat throughout his career 50 times, you have a very nice middle 6er, but a legit top 6 guy? Not in my books.

Luckily for us, he has already gotten more confident, more assertive, more creative, and stronger on the puck. He will continue to improve in all those areas. No reason why he can't be an elite PP player and a very good, even elite 5v5 player.

Logan Brown should be taking notes,on how to work your way into the NHL

If Logan Brown had the same drive as Batherson, we might miss out on a high pick this season

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I completely disagree that he's been a top 6 for the majority of the season. If the first 20 games of his season repeat throughout his career 50 times, you have a very nice middle 6er, but a legit top 6 guy? Not in my books.

Luckily for us, he has already gotten more confident, more assertive, more creative, and stronger on the puck. He will continue to improve in all those areas. No reason why he can't be an elite PP player and a very good, even elite 5v5 player.

If Logan Brown had the same drive as Batherson, we might miss out on a high pick this season
I think you might be overestimating what a legit top 6 forward is in today’s NHL. Batherson has definitely been playing like a legit top forward.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

You’re being unfair to brown here. You don’t know enough about him to say that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I completely disagree that he's been a top 6 for the majority of the season. If the first 20 games of his season repeat throughout his career 50 times, you have a very nice middle 6er, but a legit top 6 guy? Not in my books./QUOTE]

What are you on about? Why don't we take his last 5 games and repeat it 200 times?

You keep bringing up scoring stats based on the first 23 games he has played (after a year layoff) with rookies on the last place team in the league as some gospel about his play.

How about despite the reality above he has 50% more points than last season in the same number of games?

He has been playing like a top 6 W for most of the season despite his early numbers - his game isn't much different other than the puck going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad