Draisaitl vs. Matthews

Who will score more goals this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In terms of goal scoring, the only thing holding Matthew's back from leading the league is injuries
Or a guy named Ovechkin. I don't disagree that Matthews is one of the best goal scorers in the league, but to suggest he is the best without him ever proving it is premature. At this point we don't really know if Matthews slowing down after a hot start is related to injury or if he's simply a hot starter who tails off as defensive systems and goalies tighten up as the season progresses. Right now all we know is Matthews goal scoring has diminished after the month of October in each of his 3 NHL seasons, 2 of which involved injury and 1 of which did not.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Goals per game means nothing in this poll - actual goals do. Drai broke out last season. Matthews will get 30 goals, and probably push 40, sure. But Drai has shown 50 goal potential.

Goals per game absolutely means something. It indicates trends and is a good supporter of ability.

Results are results, but you could argue that the one with the outlier season for goal scoring is Draisaitl.

Matthews’ bread and butter is the ability to put the puck in the net on a consistent basis, and his career demonstrates that.

I certainly see the possibility of Drai scoring 50 again, but my dispute is with your post saying Draisaitl is on another level. When it comes to goal scoring, he isn’t.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews always starts fast and tapers off. He's also injury-prone. He also has never come even close to 50. Oilers are much better coached than they were last season, and look better than ever.

Draisaitl should logically be the clear favorite.

Guess scoring 50 goals doesn't make one a decent goal-scorer.

he has one 30g season to his name. matthews has 3/3.

129g in 356 games for drai
117g in 218 games for am34

drai has managed 12 extra goals in 138 extra games

yeah there is a clear favorite here, but it isn't draisaitl

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Development also isn’t linear, it took Drai a couple years before he really hit his stride as a goal scorer. He’s actually always been much more of a playmaker with his exceptional passing ability, especially off his backhand.

Matthews came in as one of the most pro ready prospects you’ll ever find. This kid was ready for the NHL from day one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

We'll have a better idea after this season. Draisaitl's early career does not define his current goal scoring ability. His one-timer, his accuracy, and his release have all improved substantially from his early career. He's far better at finding open space to unload it and far more willing to shoot (go look at his shot totals they've increased every single year). It's an interesting conversation to have at least because for someone who consistently watches Draisaitl, I would have never guessed he would score 50 goals in a season early on in his career. However, I've seen this player make enormous improvements developmentally to the point where he looks like a completely different player than early in his career and looks like a goal scoring threat every single night. I don't think either player is the clear cut winner in this poll, as I think both players are guaranteed 40+ goal scorers if they're healthy this season.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
50 goals.

Guess what? All 50 last year were scored on goalies, not a single empty netter.

That’s great. As I’ve stated I don’t dispute he’s a great goal scorer. But if you look at the first page there are a number of posts suggesting these two players aren’t even on the same level, which when it comes to goal scoring, I firmly don’t believe it’s true.

Matthews came on the scene strong with a 40 goal rookie year. Following that he had two years with injuries but still managed to improve his pace. He’s continuing that so far in this young season.

Draisaitl improved pretty drastically when it came towards his approach to goal scoring, so I think we continue to see more of the same.

No matter which way you slice it, though, these are two high caliber players that can put the puck in the net. It’s a close decision no matter who you like.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That’s great. As I’ve stated I don’t dispute he’s a great goal scorer. But if you look at the first page there are a number of posts suggesting these two players aren’t even on the same level, which when it comes to goal scoring, I firmly don’t believe it’s true.

Matthews came on the scene strong with a 40 goal rookie year. Following that he had two years with injuries but still managed to improve his pace. He’s continuing that so far in this young season.

Draisaitl improved pretty drastically when it came towards his approach to goal scoring, so I think we continue to see more of the same.

No matter which way you slice it, though, these are two high caliber players that can put the puck in the net. It’s a close decision no matter who you like.

Yeah I agree with regards to the “whole other level as a goalscorer” that is simply not true.

Two really fun players to watch rip the puck.

Reactions: MoreMogilny

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I agree Matthews is the better goal scorer, but don't taint your arguments by including Draisaitl's career totals from a rookie year in which he was clearly not even close to the type of player he is now. That's like including Kucherov's 18 point season in a discussion about what type of player Kucherov is *now*.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Or a guy named Ovechkin. I don't disagree that Matthews is one of the best goal scorers in the league, but to suggest he is the best without him ever proving it is premature. At this point we don't really know if Matthews slowing down after a hot start is related to injury or if he's simply a hot starter who tails off as defensive systems and goalies tighten up as the season progresses. Right now all we know is Matthews goal scoring has diminished after the month of October in each of his 3 NHL seasons, 2 of which involved injury and 1 of which did not.

True. I still think Matthew's is a better pure goal scorer. But Draisaitl is forsure the better player

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
This one could be very close if Matthews plays the full season. Like other Edm posters have mentioned. Leon has seem too elevated to an even higher level than last year. Connor has more points but Leon is the MVP so far. Lots can change and Connor looks like he still has some rust to shake off which is the scary part give the points he is putting up early.
I think Matthews is still the more natural goal scorer (sniper) overall but Leon is right there now and probably ahead with his overall play. Time will tell.
Leon hasn’t penalty killed as much this season but all of the 5 on 3 I’ve seen so far Tippett puts him out there over every other forward and he has been super effective with his active stick and reads.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Nonsense! It’s neither player fairly easily. And most objective people will acknowledge that.

And yet you had your little temper tantrum because one poster felt it was easily Matthews after ignoring the half dozen posters who said it was easily Drai. At least you are consistent in your inconsistency.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I would bet on Drai, but if Drai was 1/10th the player some people claim he is he would be carrying his own line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Matthews always starts fast and tapers off. He's also injury-prone. He also has never come even close to 50. Oilers are much better coached than they were last season, and look better than ever.

Draisaitl should logically be the clear favorite.

Guess scoring 50 goals doesn't make one a decent goal-scorer.

They also only beat one actual playoff team from last year but sure lol.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
This is a close one. I see Drai in a little bit of a different role this season, one closer to the center role that everyone wants him to play so badly.

The reason he has been playing huge minutes is because Tippett has been relying on him in the Oilers toughest situations on the draw, and in tight spots on the penalty kill. He is currently averaging two and a half more shifts than McDavid per game.

I see Drai being used in situations outside of goalscoring, whereas Matthews is used pretty much exclusively for his goal scoring ability.

Matthews has an elite shot, and some great skill around him. If he can stay healthy, it wouldn't surprise me if he outscores Drai.

Not at all an insult to Drai, I think he has been the Oilers best player thus far this season. Connor has looked a little rusty so far, and Drai has taken over multiple games. I personally didn't like his game against the Rangers, but he ended up with 3 points... guy is a monster. Impossible to take off the puck.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would bet on Drai, but if Drai was 1/1oth the player some people claim he is he would be carrying his own line.

If Neal/RNH can provide the Oilers with a good second line, why is it so necessary at this point to separate Draisaitl and McDavid when you know it's magic together? So why is him not centering his own line an indictment on his ability to do so rather than because the coaching staff feels that their best chance to win is him with McDavid?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Given usage, Matthews. I really want to see how much Matthews would produce overall if he got the same elite usage like other stars (he's 101st in the league at TOI/gp at even strength and Babcock still to this day, runs half PP for each unit). That being said, it's hard to argue that Drai isn't a top 10 player at this point as well. Him and McDavid are pretty much the most productive duo in the league.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If Neal/RNH can provide the Oilers with a good second line, why is it so necessary at this point to separate Draisaitl and McDavid when you know it's magic together? So why is him not centering his own line an indictment on his ability to do so rather than because the coaching staff feels that their best chance to win is him with McDavid?
Because this is the only argument left that anyone can cling to discredit Drai. Surely Boston is also stupid for playing their 3 best players on the top line.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

They would have had a good second line last year if Drai was capable of decent play without McDavid - but he's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad