Draisaitl vs. Matthews

Who will score more goals this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Which of the Oilers' wingers from last season who produced like trash would have produced equal to or greater than Johnsson or Kapanen if they played next to Matthews?

Don't mention RNH since in the scenario where Draisaitl and McDavid are split up, he'd be with McDavid and Draisaitl would get what's left over.

You do not get it. Matthews would have made Lucic and Reider 50 point players because he can carry any line.

I also do not get why people are so keen to see Edmonton split up McDavid and Draisaitl as they are the best duo in the league. Why would you want to break up that chemistry when you could just fix Chia's mess and make another line from actual NHL players.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
I remember when Leafs fans where saying Kapanen> k. Connor. Now in Matthews’s thread kapanen is a glorified third liner lol

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
That's the HF board opinion but it isn't true. The bottom six doesn't have flashy names but they've got decent speed, hockey IQ, and defensive ability.

Draisaitl should get Selke consideration this year.

Either way, your argument here is irrelevant. I was responding to you saying that Draisaitl playing more minutes accounted for his increased production.
well considering that he's also getting 3 minutes more per game thus far at ES and a minute more on the PP I would say it definitely a factor for his increased production (riding shotgun to McDavid being the other)

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I remember when Leafs fans where saying Kapanen> k. Connor. Now in Matthews’s thread kapanen is a glorified third liner lol
I'd love to see a link to this.
popular opinion amongst leaf fans is that Kapanen is a good 3rd liner who has elite speed and a good shot but has low hockey IQ, is notoriously bad for having tunnel vision and couldn't complete a cross seem pass to save his life.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Oh cmon. Drop Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander and the Leafs forward group looks AHL caliber as well. Do that with most teams top 4 forwards and see how good they look. :facepalm:
Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen and Hyman are all established top 9 forwards and its early but Mikheyev and Moore look like there well on their way right now

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
well considering that he's also getting 3 minutes more per game thus far at ES and a minute more on the PP I would say it definitely a factor for his increased production (riding shotgun to McDavid being the other)

So if scoring is linear during a 60 min game then everybody would play their elite player the hole 60 min...I think something around 20 min is the max. time for good production of a player...but I looked something up for you...both have equal amount on 5 on 5 TOI this season (84 min.) with both having 3 goals in this time while Drai adding 5 primary assists (o for AM) for what it´s worth...that means AM isn´t more effective in the same TOI while they are 5 on 5 (in goalscoring)...I know pretty small sample size but the season is young and we will see what is happening the next months :)

Beside I see both as elite goal scorers.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You do not get it. Matthews would have made Lucic and Reider 50 point players because he can carry any line.

I also do not get why people are so keen to see Edmonton split up McDavid and Draisaitl as they are the best duo in the league. Why would you want to break up that chemistry when you could just fix Chia's mess and make another line from actual NHL players.
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm. I think it is, and I think it's humorous, but I can't be certain.

Reactions: Munchkin10

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Drai v Matthews in goal scoring is admittedly debatable but you can't argue with proven and quantifiable RESULTS. Drai was a goal off from winning the Rocket last year, Matthews wasn't close.

In terms of who's the overall better player, its not debatable at all which is why a poll doesn't exist for that topic. Drai is way ahead in playmaking, hockey IQ, strength, versatility, lack of bad tattoos, defensive ability, puck cycling, vision, PKing, pass anticipation and interception, maturity, hair style and flow, puck protection, face-off ability, nose shape, leadership, consistency, lack of off-ice d-baggery, 2 way game, respectability, durability, ability to take direction from coaches, stride power, hit avoidance, jaw-line squareness, board battling, humbleness, responsibility, hairline, passing, overtime heroics and general clutchness, playoff performance, truculence, the ability to absorb hits, stick checking, being a team player, selflessness, cap hit value, and not wearing embarrassing fashion statements. It's really not close when you look at all the important factors.
Legendary post. :laugh:

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Matthews will score more goals, but Draisaitl is a better player, and will finish ahead of him by 15+ points, probably more.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Matthews better goal scorer and player. Draisatl will probably rack up more points passing to McDavid though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Matthews would have done what? McDavid couldn't turn either player into a 50 point player, and yet you think Matthews could?

Are you feeling ok?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
he has one 30g season to his name. matthews has 3/3.

129g in 356 games for drai
117g in 218 games for am34

drai has managed 12 extra goals in 138 extra games

yeah there is a clear favorite here, but it isn't draisaitl

Come on man. Even you know how disingenuous this post is. Matthews best season was as a rookie. Drai took longer to get up to the speed of the Nhl but has gotten better and more dominant every year. Matthews has not. Their totals the first 2 years have nothing to do with what they will do this year. This is close either way.
These types of posts only make Leaf fans look bad......

Reactions: Highmarker

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen and Hyman are all established top 9 forwards and its early but Mikheyev and Moore look like there well on their way right now

In fairness, so are Kassian and Chiasson.

Problem with the Oilers forward group is that they only have 6 proven top-9 forwards and 4 proven top-6 forwards. Guys like Sheahan, Granlund, Khaira, Archibald shouldn’t be playing above the 4th line.

I watched their New York road trip this past week and Haas and Nygard both look like they can be warm bodies but they don’t provide the offence to justify 3rd line minutes.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
[QUOTE="Saltcreek, post: 165416405, member: 279073"]You do not get it. Matthews would have made Lucic and Reider 50 point players because he can carry any line.

I also do not get why people are so keen to see Edmonton split up McDavid and Draisaitl as they are the best duo in the league. Why would you want to break up that chemistry when you could just fix Chia's mess and make another line from actual NHL players.[/QUOTE]

Clearly you never watched them play last year.

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
Leafs fan, homer vote for Matthews here. I think a lot of Draisaitl’s goals from last year on the PP are now going to be going to Neal.

That said, if you account for contracts I would take Draisaitl over Matthews as players. Contracts aside it’s Matthews.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Come on man. Even you know how disingenuous this post is. Matthews best season was as a rookie. Drai took longer to get up to the speed of the Nhl but has gotten better and more dominant every year. Matthews has not. Their totals the first 2 years have nothing to do with what they will do this year. This is close either way.
These types of posts only make Leaf fans look bad......

I've always enjoyed the mental gymnastics involved to make the following scenario sound like Player 2 is *currently* the better player of the two because of "career stats".

Player 1
Year 1 - 5 goals, 5 assists
Year 2 - 40 goals, 40 assists
Year 3 - 50 goals, 50 assists

Player 2
Year 1 - 30 goals, 30 assists
Year 2 - 35 goals, 30 assists
Year 3 - 40 goals, 35 assists

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Matthews would probably score 70 goals playing with McDavid for 82 games. Maybe we will get to see it later on in their careers :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad