• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
despite Draisaitl riding shotgun to McDavid and getting nearly 6 minutes more per game so far, this is Matthews fairly easily
Nonsense! It’s neither player fairly easily. And most objective people will acknowledge that.
Drai is the better overall player but in terms of goal scoring they are both very close. I went Drai due to Matthews injury history.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Draisaitl is better at goal scoring, playmaking, points, hockey, defense, durability ect. Not even a question anymore until Matthews finds another gear and proves otherwise with his point total and ability to stay injury free for a change. And he has a distinct advantage in an overall better team to accomplish this from.
This. All of this.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
despite Draisaitl riding shotgun to McDavid and getting nearly 6 minutes more per game so far, this is Matthews fairly easily
Draisaitl is getting 6 minutes more per game because he is elite at defense and therefore is put out there in key defensive situations / the penalty kill
He plays 2 minutes per game on the PK, compared to Matthew's 1 second per game

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I would probably vote Matthews as well but to say that it is fairly easy is hard to justify. Draisaitl scored 50 goals last year playing only about 60% of his ES time with McDavid. This year there is a pretty decent chance that he will play even more with McDavid and the two are off to a much faster start than normal. If they are both healthy Matthews will probably have to score 45+ to beat him.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Take a look at points and the impact a player has on the game. Nice try though.

Was Matthews even on the ice against Detroit last night? Completely invisible; something a few more mins of ice time wouldn't change for the woulda-coulda-shoulda player.

This thread is about goals not points.

Nice try though (not really tbh).

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I think Matthews is the more natural goal scorer, buuuutt..... he gets hurt and doesn't seem to score consistently for whatever reason? If Matthews plays all 82 i'd pick him.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Was Matthews even on the ice against Detroit last night? Completely invisible; something a few more mins of ice time wouldn't change for the woulda-coulda-shoulda player.

The poll is about goal scoring, which is Matthews biggest strength.

And by the way, Matthews was very visible last night on the defensive side of the puck as he continues to become an extremely strong two way player. He was breaking up plays in the neutral zone and no forward on the team battles for pucks deep in the D zone the way Matthews does.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One has shown he can score 50 goals

The other hasn’t scored 40 goals since his rookie season

How many goals do you think Matthews would score on McDavid's wing?

Good thing Edmonton lost that draft lottery and we never have to find out.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
you mean

by Matthews having more goals so far?...
I think our sample this season is far too small to draw conclusions either way. Our most recent quality sample is last season where Draisaitl scored more goals and had a higher goals per game. Drai's SH% was pretty high and likely won't be north of 20% this season however, so this one could be close.

I'd personally pick too close to call, but because that option doesn't exist I'll go with Draisaitl based on last year's results and his incredible play to start this season. Now if the question was who is the better all around player, or who will score more points this year, then I pick Draisaitl without a second thought. His playmaking is miles ahead of Matthews and his defensive game is noticeably better.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

In all honesty the only times I noticed Matthews last night was when Justin Abdelkader was man handling him repeatedly as he tried to protect the puck. Everyone has bad games though, and we've seen Matthews have some pretty awesome games to start this year.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Okay.

One has three 30+ goal seasons

The other has one.

Alternatively:

One scores at a .56 GPG pace

The other scores at a .36 GPG pace.

Goals per game means nothing in this poll - actual goals do. Drai broke out last season. Matthews will get 30 goals, and probably push 40, sure. But Drai has shown 50 goal potential.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Matthews always starts fast and tapers off. He's also injury-prone. He also has never come even close to 50. Oilers are much better coached than they were last season, and look better than ever.

Draisaitl should logically be the clear favorite.

Guess scoring 50 goals doesn't make one a decent goal-scorer.

In terms of goal scoring, the only thing holding Matthew's back from leading the league is injuries

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Goals per game means nothing in this poll - actual goals do. Drai broke out last season. Matthews will get 30 goals, and probably push 40, sure. But Drai has shown 50 goal potential.

Drai also had a higher GPG pace last season than Matthews. Of course that was probably inflated slightly by his SH%, but the thing I don't understand is comparisons of young players career averages. Until these players are in their mid twenties we are seeing all sorts of development in different way and at different rates. If that poster wanted to illustrate that Matthews was the better player when they both entered the league then absolutely I agree. However, no one could have accounted for the development that Draisaitl has seen over the past two years, and no on could have guessed that his goal scoring ability would develop so rapidly. With Matthews being 2 years younger it's entirely possible he could develop likely Draisaitl did from age 21 to 23, but we have no idea if he will because every player is different. When we're talking in the here and now for comparing these players we know that Draisaitl's goal scoring surpassed Matthews last year, and so this season should be very interesting.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Draisaitl is the best player in the NHL this season so far, so him.

He’s even better than last year, he’s just a ****ing beast, I don’t even know how else to describe him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad