Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
This is ridiculous. If Draisaitl is an elite playmaker he should be centring his own line and carrying his wingers. Draisaitl isn’t a 100 point player without being glued to McDavid wings, sorry. Matthews would have a shot at 60 goals on McDavids wing as he’s second in gpg after OV since entering the league.

Matthews has helped turn Kapanen and Johnsson into 20 goal scorers, and now while back with Nylander, willy can’t score on high danger chances at all this year.

No one in the NHL can carry Lucic and Rieder, not even McDavid, so why do you expect Draisaitl to do it? One of the many problems with the Oilers is that they have no 2nd line wingers. You can keep pushing this narrative that Draisaitl cannot drive his own line but you look absolutely foolish in doing it when you look at the context.

Reactions: 780il

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
No one in the NHL can carry Lucic and Rieder, not even McDavid, so why do you expect Draisaitl to do it? One of the many problems with the Oilers is that they have no 2nd line wingers. You can keep pushing this narrative that Draisaitl cannot drive his own line but you look absolutely foolish in doing it when you look at the context.

People have their doubts with Matthews in relation to his injuries, I have my doubts with Draisaitl being unable to center his own line effectively.

Rieder has averaged around 14 goals a season, he plays with Draisaitl and has 0 goals. If Draisaitl was so elite he should be having a career year with 20 + goals. Johnson and Kapanen are having career years playing with Matthews.

We’ll see how next year plays out.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
People have their doubts with Matthews in relation to his injuries, I have my doubts with Draisaitl being unable to center his own line effectively.

Rieder has averaged around 14 goals a season, he plays with Draisaitl and has 0 goals. If Draisaitl was so elite he should be having a career year with 20 + goals. Johnson and Kapanen are having career years playing with Matthews.

You ignored how I also mentioned McDavid too. Are you saying that because McDavid cannot make these guys 20+ goal scores than he is not elite? Also, are you saying that both Johnson and Kapanen are just as good as Lucic and Rieder?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
As good as Matthews is it’s hard to see him hitting 100 points when he lacks elite passing and playmaking ability like Draisaitl.
I think he mostly has to stay healthy. he does have 93 points in his last 82 games, so it shouldn't be ridiculous for him to get 100 in a full season. Draisaitl is definitely a monster in his own right, though

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I think he mostly has to stay healthy. he does have 93 points in his last 82 games, so it shouldn't be ridiculous for him to get 100 in a full season. Draisaitl is definitely a monster in his own right, though

I really hope that Matthews can stay healthy all next season. The injuries this season did throw him off and he was not playing good hockey for a while. I have always said that the league is a better place when he is playing his top game, it just makes things much more exciting.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
You ignored how I also mentioned McDavid too. Are you saying that because McDavid cannot make these guys 20+ goal scores than he is not elite? Also, are you saying that both Johnson and Kapanen are just as good as Lucic and Rieder?

McDavid made chiasson and Maroon 20+ goal scorers

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is ridiculous. If Draisaitl is an elite playmaker he should be centring his own line and carrying his wingers. Draisaitl isn’t a 100 point player without being glued to McDavid wings, sorry. Matthews would have a shot at 60 goals on McDavids wing as he’s second in gpg after OV since entering the league.

Matthews has helped turn Kapanen and Johnsson into 20 goal scorers, and now while back with Nylander, willy can’t score on high danger chances at all this year.

Not sure what you're implying with the bolded above. Are you suggesting Matthews is the reason they're 20 goal scorers? That with any other center, they'd be 10 goal scrubs?

Because Johnsson, for instance, has only scored 6 of his 20 goals with Matthews. The other 14 goals were scored without Matthews on the ice. Heck, Johnsson has scored as many goals with Par Lindholm as his center as he has with Matthews (6 goals in 192:40 of ice time).

Kapanen's totals are a bit higher (10 of his ES goals are with Matthews on the ice), but not as much as you're suggesting.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I often read the /60 argument when Matthews is involved in these discussions.

One area that has not been discussed is his GA/60 stat.

Most can agree 600 TOI is a significant sample size for players.

Matthews 5 v 5 GA/60 3.37. Which is 11th worst in the NHL.
Draisaitl 5 v 5 GA/60 2.99. Which is 70th worst in the NHL

This is a significant difference.

Not only is Draisaitl better offensively than Matthews this year, he has been better defensively using the GA/60 metric. When you factor in that the Oilers are 26th in GA, and the Leafs are 15th. This point is even more poignant.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

If Draisaitl can't carry a line as a center then he's simply a winger who is still better than Matthews.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
I often read the /60 argument when Matthews is involved in these discussions.

One area that has not been discussed is his GA/60 stat.

Most can agree 600 TOI is a significant sample size for players.

Matthews 5 v 5 GA/60 3.37. Which is 11th worst in the NHL.
Draisaitl 5 v 5 GA/60 2.99. Which is 70th worst in the NHL

This is a significant difference.

Not only is Draisaitl better offensively than Matthews this year, he has been better defensively using the GA/60 metric. When you factor in that the Oilers are 26th in GA, and the Leafs are 15th. This point is even more poignant.

That’s quite interesting. I am kind of shocked to see Matthews so low on that list though. I admit that I have a tough time assessing the defensive ability of forwards aside from noticing takeaways and blocking passes so I’m not trolling when I ask but wasn’t he being touted on these boards as a Selke caliber center? On a much better team with significantly better goaltending it’s quite a surprise to see such a gap between him and Drai there.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That’s quite interesting. I am kind of shocked to see Matthews so low on that list though. I admit that I have a tough time assessing the defensive ability of forwards aside from noticing takeaways and blocking passes so I’m not trolling when I ask but wasn’t he being touted on these boards as a Selke caliber center? On a much better team with significantly better goaltending it’s quite a surprise to see such a gap between him and Drai there.

I am not sure of this Selke caliber center narrative since he doesn't kill PIMS and was never a shut down Center, if we want to expropriate the GA60 stat to 600 TOI. Matthews is 8th worst in the NHL 5 v 5. Lumped in with quite a few Ottawa Senator players which should be no surprise to anyone since they are pretty bad this year in GA.

Toggle to GA60, then click it twice, and work your way up from the list. For players to have played a minimum of 600 TOI in the entire NHL, Matthews is now 8th worst in GA60, Draisaitl 71st worst as of today.

Which tells me Matthews plays a lot of high event hockey at both ends of the ice, whereas Draisaitl has played a more complete game at both ends of the ice.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Rieder has played with Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH...pretty much everyone on the team and no one can get him a goal. By your argument McDavid sucks too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As of right now Draisaitl has the better contract by a country mile. Has put up more points than Matthews, signed longer and signed cheaper.

That could change on a dime if Matthews stays healthy and puts up a ton of points but for his contract to be better....he really needs to clean up his defensive game and get in that 90+ points range.

Not saying it's not possible, just right now, Draisaitl is the better deal by far.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Could you imagine Matthews as a winger for McDavid :laugh: he’d be scoring 55-60 goals
Using this logic. Could you imagine Draisaitl on a team that is the 2nd highest scoring in the NHL rather than the 20th. He would be at 55-60 goals and 110-115 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad