Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
exactly, Drai makes Connor better

Yes and no.

Draisaitl plays the game at a high level to benefit from Connor.

But also when McDavid is on his own, he's played with heavy rotation of guys who were in the AHL sometime this year, or passed through waivers unclaimed.

It's hard to compare with guys like Kucherov getting to play with Stamkos and Point, or even Johnson.

Get Kucherov to play with Rattie, and Lucic, and his numbers would crater just the same.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yes and no.

Draisaitl plays the game at a high level to benefit from Connor.

But also when McDavid is on his own, he's played with heavy rotation of guys who were in the AHL sometime this year, or passed through waivers unclaimed.

It's hard to compare with guys like Kucherov getting to play with Stamkos and Point, or even Johnson.

Get Kucherov to play with Rattie, and Lucic, and his numbers would crater just the same.
McDavid get the "best" wingers on the team when not with Draisaitl

Draisaitl gets Rieder lol

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
McDavid get the "best" wingers on the team when not with Draisaitl

Draisaitl gets Rieder lol
Outside of RNH, the best wingers this season were a combination of Rattie, Puljujaarvi, Lucic, Kassian, Caggiula, and a collection of guys who wouldn't even crack Ottawa's top-6.

All I'm saying is, without Draisaitl, it skews the numbers so dramatically the other way, but it's not really fair to compare him to any other situation in the NHL.

Reactions: Sacul

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
So far this season at 5v5.

Draisaitl with McDavid, 3.50 P/60, which would be 1st in NHL, ahead of Kucherov.

Draisaitl without McDavid, 1.43 P/60, T-236th in NHL with Jordan Eberle and Leo Komorov.

Crazy.
Wow, did not know the numbers were that drastically different. Yikes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
On the Leafs I think Draisaitl would be a 85 point player or so in place of Matthews.

He'd get to play with Nylander I'd presume and then with Tavares and Marner on the PP probably. Better transition game with an offensive D like Reilly too.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
On the Leafs I think Draisaitl would be a 85 point player or so in place of Matthews.

He'd get to play with Nylander I'd presume and then with Tavares and Marner on the PP probably. Better transition game with an offensive D like Reilly too.

Draisaitl Is a 95 point center in a vacuum. He gets 95 easy In Toronto. The guy will be flirting with 110 before this season is done. What's up with the lowball number 85 ? With guys like Nylander, Marner, Matthew's, Tavares ? He would top all of these guys in my opinion playing on that team.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Draisaitl Is a 95 point center in a vacuum. He gets 95 easy In Toronto. The guy will be flirting with 110 before this season is done. What's up with the lowball number 85 ? With guys like Nylander, Marner, Matthew's, Tavares ? He would top all of these guys in my opinion playing on that team.

There would be no Matthews there it would be Leon in place of Matthews. But yeah I think he'd do quite well with Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Reilly, Kapanen around him.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
In regards to edmonton depth only oiler fans can truly attest to the garbage our fowards are besides the obvious three. Even mcdavids number go significantly down due to playing, literally with AHL players.I challenge anyone in this thread to watch 10 oiler games to see how disgusting it is. The thing is, nobody but an oilers fan can watch more then one game focusing on the other players. It is truly the worst forward line up in the history of the world past the top three. And that is a fact

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In regards to edmonton depth only oiler fans can truly attest to the garbage our fowards are besides the obvious three. Even mcdavids number go significantly down due to playing, literally with AHL players.I challenge anyone in this thread to watch 10 oiler games to see how disgusting it is. The thing is, nobody but an oilers fan can watch more then one game focusing on the other players. It is truly the worst forward line up in the history of the world past the top three. And that is a fact

I still don't understand why it's so bad. Some of these guys who aren't producing are guys who, at one time or another, were capable of being 15+ goal, 35+ point guys. Nothing Earth shattering, but at the very least "solid" depth offensively.

How have they, collectively, fallen off the map?

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
I still don't understand why it's so bad. Some of these guys who aren't producing are guys who, at one time or another, were capable of being 15+ goal, 35+ point guys. Nothing Earth shattering, but at the very least "solid" depth offensively.

Yes. Lucic was already fading before he got to Edmonton and everyone else has always sucked.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

Partially because they all have to play with each other, not a legitimate centre. Lucic isn't going to put up solid powerplay numbers when his linemates on PP#2 are Colby Cave and Sam Gagner.

Really, the only players who have fallen apart are Lucic (who is literally falling apart), Rieder (who has had a historically unlucky season, he now holds the record for most shots on goal without scoring), and that's about it.

We also have guys like Josh Currie, Gambardella, Brodziak, Cave, Rattie etc who are really AHL players.

Kassian and Chiasson, the wingers who have gotten the most time with McDavid and Drai, have both posted career numbers, as has Nurse, who has seen elevated time on PP#1.

Our forwards are really historically bad. They are underperforming, but at the end of the day they are just plain not good enough to play in the NHL.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
PPG is a very misleading stat in Matthews case if you want to judge him on the average night. He had 16 points in the first 7 games and has been under a point per game in his last 56 games. It's a pretty decent sample size. Like I've said before, if 2 good weeks was enough for Toronto to declare him the best player in the world back in early October, 5 months of being under a point per game should cement him in their eyes as not even being a top 20 player.

If the season ended today, Leafs fans would be saying Matthews produced at a 92 point pace, but he didn't play like a "92 point player" from game 8-63. He was a 75-80 point player on the average night. This season, that's not very special at all.

Hes a good goal scorer who is fun to watch. That's why I say he's currently this eras Rick Nash. Leafs fans don't like it but that's the reality. He doesn't put up big point totals but he scores a lot of goals, and he got paid a lot more than he was worth because he scored a lot early in his career when he walked into the league with a grown man's body.
...against other grown men. What does this even mean?

Jan 21, 2018
oiler fans make sure the whole world knows that mcdavid is on a completely different tier than matthews (fair assessment).

but then they try and justify that draisaitl playing wing for the best player on the planet is somehow comparable to matthews playing with hyman lol

mcdavid should be playing with scrubs similar to hyman. but he has to carry two expensive wingers because they can't center their own lines. If the Oilers could run McDavid/Drai/RNH down the middle they would be cup contenders yet they can't even make the playoffs because the whole team is basically overpaid.

i know matthews is pretty overrated but this isn't even a comparison. put matthews on mcdavid's wing and draisaitl centering hyman and all the stat examiners would change their opinions instantly.

Reactions: Grabner

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
oiler fans make sure the whole world knows that mcdavid is on a completely different tier than matthews (fair assessment).

but then they try and justify that draisaitl playing wing for the best player on the planet is somehow comparable to matthews playing with hyman lol

mcdavid should be playing with scrubs similar to hyman. but he has to carry two expensive wingers because they can't center their own lines. If the Oilers could run McDavid/Drai/RNH down the middle they would be cup contenders yet they can't even make the playoffs because the whole team is basically overpaid.

i know matthews is pretty overrated but this isn't even a comparison. put matthews on mcdavid's wing and draisaitl centering hyman and all the stat examiners would change their opinions instantly.

So Matthews doesn't get to play with Nylander ever? Or Tavares and Marner and Reilly on the PP?

In Toronto Leon would be a pretty good player in Matthews place probably in the 80+ point range.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Does this vacuum come with a slightly lesser McDavid?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

if Matthews played with McDavid he would have to be able to handle top matchups 20 min/night. And as we have seen so far he's fragile and can't stay healthy with those kind of minutes/attention on him

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
if Matthews played with McDavid he would have to be able to handle top matchups 20 min/night. And as we have seen so far he's fragile and can't stay healthy with those kind of minutes/attention on him
Yes very fragile.

McDavid must be fragile as well considering he had a shoulder/collarbone injury as result of a hit.

Draisaitl is very good. No need to make ridiculous comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad