Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I could only imagine how many points McDavid and Draisaitl would put up on the Leafs.
That and the fact Edmonton has to play catch up alot.
Teams will focus on shutting those two down and throw their defensive line out there every time just to stop McDavid and Leon.

Leaf s advantage is the opponent can't just focus on Mathews and Marner.
It's hard to Shadow a couple players when Nylander and Tavares and CO can kill you also.
This opens up the entire offense.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Lol an alpha? Matthews was definitely a beta in the playoffs

Drai has more than double Matthews’ playoff points in the same amount of games played
Well at least Matthew's will play some playoff games this year. And next year. And quite possibly the year after that. Drai on the other hand.....

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Matthews is not worth the extra 3.13m per year over Dri. Both their contracts make Mack and Scheifele's contracts look better and better.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
You are just looking for attention with a post like that. I guess I took the bait.

Carry on.

I'm not. Matthews is a great young player but he is not worth 11.63m per year with nothing so far to show for it. Dri is also over payed but at lease he is paid that for 8 years, Paying Matthews 11.63m per year for 5 years is a major over payment that will hurt the leafs long term. BTW you edit the part I wrote on how both their contracts makes Mack and Sheifele's contract look so much better.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Dont cherry pick. Use career stats.
Drai 0.84 PPG
Matthew's 0.98 PPG

3 years is not cherry picking. That said, including Matthews rookie season may not be fair either, as Drai had more time to develop.

Last 2 seasons:
LD: 1.02 (84pt pace)
AM: 1.11 (91pt pace)
I think that is a more accurate representation.

This is how low HF has become. It's an insult to not be Generational now?

The point he was making is that Matthews is not generational. And he's right. Doesn't mean he isn't damn good though.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am an Oilers fan, but I would take Matthews over Drasaitl, even for 3 million more. Draisaitl is a very good player and I think he is underrated, but Matthews is a franchise player.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Again not sure what this has to do with the OP? The OP is asking Matthews at 11.634M for 5 years or Draisaitl at 8.5M for 8 years. I am not judging anything other than the present play, and the criteria that the OP has put forth. You have constantly avoided the question and poll, the present stats, the cap hit, and the length of both contracts.

If you are using the crystal ball argument that Matthews is going to outproduce Draisaitl to warrant being paid 27% higher on the cap, at a year shorter than Draisaitl's contract is worth paying him 11.634M for 5 years. Then just say it. But I find this hard to see. Matthews is not McDavid, and McDavid is only outproducing Draisaitl by 18% this year. And he is the best player in the world.

Not sure how many different ways to explain it to you?

The only leg you have to stand on is that a 21 year old star playing on his ELC with lesser linemates and while injured or recovering from injuries and outproducing his competitor to the tune of 30% at the same stage of their careers (30% whilst playing alongside #1 in the world....much greater gap when having to play with lesser linemates) has peaked.

If it isn't obvious, the leg you are standing on is kind of a stump.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Fair enough but don't get me wrong either. I'm certainly not anti-Mathews.
I never thought Austin Mathews would develop into this great a player and he's only getting better.
He's more than lived up to his draft hype and status.

My posting is more about how shockingly good Leon has become and has produced on much worse team.

Because he signed such a big contract and plays for the Oilers I feel Draisatl has become underrated.
These two players would be the best players on my team hands down. I also think Mathews ceiling is higher.I
I don't have a problem paying each player their signed contracts.
And although Leon is having a phenomenal year Im taking Mathews going forward. I think Mathews is the better player when fully healthy.

But Leons 8 year deal and Mathews 5 year deal at those numbers tip the scale for me which is why I voted Leon.

Only when playing the bulk of his minutes alongside one guy. Outside that, his production is shockingly less. If he could produce well in those other minutes, Edmonton would be much more difficult to play against and might not yet again be in the running for 1st overall. The fact that Matthews does it playing most of his minutes with lesser linemates really emphasizes the gap.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure how many different ways to explain it to you?

The only leg you have to stand on is that a 21 year old star playing on his ELC with lesser linemates and while injured or recovering from injuries and outproducing his competitor to the tune of 30% at the same stage of their careers (30% whilst playing alongside #1 in the world....much greater gap when having to play with lesser linemates) has peaked.

If it isn't obvious, the leg you are standing on is kind of a stump.

This isn't a developmental thread as much as you try to change the topic towards this. You still are avoiding the OP, and you are doing a bad job at it as well.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This isn't a developmental thread as much as you try to change the topic towards this. You still are avoiding the OP, and you are doing a bad job at it as well.

The OP asked what they are worth relative to each other. Given the vast difference in production with all the context, it's pretty clear.

You can choose to value two houses identically because they are both white. You'd be pretty silly to do so but that's up to you.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The OP asked what they are worth relative to each other. Given the vast difference in production with all the context, it's pretty clear.

You can choose to value two houses identically because they are both white. You'd be pretty silly to do so but that's up to you.
Draisaitl right now is a proven 35 goal scorer in 58 games at 8.5M with an additional year on his contract to Matthews. Many would take this, considering he is paid 27% less than Matthews, plus his contract is longer. Unless Matthews scores 27% more goals since as he is paid substantially more at 27%). Which would put him at 45 goals this year in 58 games. Which is highly unlikely. Then Draisaitl @ 8.5 (with 1 additional year) is highly preferable to some over Matthews at 11.634( at 1 less year). Dubas overpaid.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Draisaitl right now is a proven 35 goal scorer in 58 games at 8.5M with an additional year on his contract to Matthews. Many would take this, considering he is paid 27% less than Matthews, plus his contract is longer. Unless Matthews scores 27% more goals since as he is paid substantially more at 27%). Which would put him at 45 goals this year in 58 games. Which is highly unlikely. Then Draisaitl @ 8.5 (with 1 additional year) is highly preferable to some over Matthews at 11.634( at 1 less year). Dubas overpaid.

For starters, Matthews current production is at less than half what Draisaitl makes.

Then we get into all the context you don't like to talk about.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Matthews is unreal and on a good team. It isn't a fair comparison.

Draisaitl is a great player in his own right but he's no Matthews. Thing about Matthewsis that his contract might seriously handcuff the Leafs later on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad