Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For starters, Matthews current production is at less than half what Draisaitl makes.

Then we get into all the context you don't like to talk about.
You keep trying to avoid the question. It isn't about what Matthews is making right now. Look at the title of the OP! It's a question of Matthews at 11.634M per. We already know what Draisaitl is capable. 35 goals, 69 points in 58 games at 8.5M. Now Matthews being paid 27% more than Draisaitl, he better put up 27% more production to support your position right?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You keep trying to avoid the question. It isn't about what Matthews is making right now. Look at the title of the OP! It's a question of Matthews at 11.634M per. We already know what Draisaitl is capable. 35 goals, 69 points in 58 games at 8.5M. Now Matthews being paid 27% more than Draisaitl, he better put up 27% more production to support your position right?

Correct, you know what Draisaitl is capable of at $8.5 but not what Matthews is capable of at $11.6, erego kind of silly to be pretending that his current production is at anything other than what it is.

Does he need exactly 27% better production? Probably not. As we know, many things go into valuing a player's worth (try not to cringe here because we're going back down the context road you so despise). For example, just looking at top 10's, it seems the league values centers roughly 12% more than they value wingers. Probably because of the importance and difficulty of the position. Now fortunately, I know for a fact you won't argue against this because you have used it on numerous occasions to lessen the value of Mitch Marner. So right from the get go, it seems we should probably expect an average of a 12% difference in compensation on position alone, given Draisaitl spends the vast majority of his time as a winger. Now we could go down the rabbit hole of all the other reasons why we would expect Matthews to be paid more but I don't know that we need to continue beating that horse? Reality is, at those two cap hits, pretty much any manager in the league drives Leon to the airport if you offer them Matthews and we all know why.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
The extra term on Draisaitl's contract is the tipping point. Matthews just simply has a bad contract which ends making him a UFA at 26.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Skill wise it's not even close. Matthews

If Matthews was on an 8 year deal it wouldn't be close. Matthews

But when you compare contract lengths.... It gets close.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Correct, you know what Draisaitl is capable of at $8.5 but not what Matthews is capable of at $11.6, erego kind of silly to be pretending that his current production is at anything other than what it is.

Does he need exactly 27% better production? Probably not. As we know, many things go into valuing a player's worth (try not to cringe here because we're going back down the context road you so despise). For example, just looking at top 10's, it seems the league values centers roughly 12% more than they value wingers. Probably because of the importance and difficulty of the position. Now fortunately, I know for a fact you won't argue against this because you have used it on numerous occasions to lessen the value of Mitch Marner. So right from the get go, it seems we should probably expect an average of a 12% difference in compensation on position alone, given Draisaitl spends the vast majority of his time as a winger. Now we could go down the rabbit hole of all the other reasons why we would expect Matthews to be paid more but I don't know that we need to continue beating that horse? Reality is, at those two cap hits, pretty much any manager in the league drives Leon to the airport if you offer them Matthews and we all know why.

Well that's the thread question and that is why you see a 51-49% split. When you take Matthew's shorter and 27% higher cap hit and look at what Draisaitl is doing at 8.5M per with 35 goals in 58 games. It is not a slam dunk choice either way.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

lol how is it not even close "skill wise"

40 goals, 81 pts in 65 games for 8.5M and longer contract vs 30 goals, 60 pts in 51 games for 11.6M and shorter contract

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Draisatl.

They are close in terms of ability and Draisatl has a much better contract.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Draisaitl is a more skilled hockey player then Matthew's in a lot of categories. Throw the homerism out.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
I´ve read Edmonton fans trash this guy all season. When McDavid was a few spots down in the Art Ross race, MANY oilers fans claimed he had ZERO support.

Now Drai is better than Matthews? So Oilers fans, which way will you have it?

Also, imagine if Kucherov had Drai as his linemate... wow!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Depends. For my current Sharks, Draisaitl quite easily. We'd have to make some big moves to fit him in, but he'd be easier. He can clearly produce just as much as Matthews. If my Sharks blew it up and the cap wasn't a concern, I'd rather build a team around Matthews. For the sake of the poll, I'll go with the current state of my team, so Draisaitl no question.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The next 5 years is very close. I think Matthews is a better player, but I'm not sure about 3+ million dollars better.

But after 5 years, Draisaitl will still be getting 8.5 whereas Matthews could realistically get 16 million per year in UFA, and at that point, it's not even close who is more valuable.

Voted Draisaitl, but not a slight to Matthews by any means. Anyone saying AINEC is an idiot.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I´ve read Edmonton fans trash this guy all season. When McDavid was a few spots down in the Art Ross race, MANY oilers fans claimed he had ZERO support.

We've never trashed Draisaitl (or RNH), but McDavid does have literally 0 support. He sometimes gets to play with 1 good player and is responsible for leading the offense. If he isn't with one of those 2, he has garbage wingers. If Draisaitl/McDavid/RNH stay off the scoresheet, there is a 1% chance that the Oilers are winning that game. There absolutely no secondary scoring aka support.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

McDavid accounts for a whopping 49% of his teams total goals.

Yeah, he has a good line mate in Draisaitl or RNH, but what other player comes remotely close to that?

Nobody intelligent trashes on Draisaitl.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
We've never trashed Draisaitl (or RNH), but McDavid does have literally 0 support. He sometimes gets to play with 1 good player and is responsible for leading the offense. If he isn't with one of those 2, he has garbage wingers. If Draisaitl/McDavid/RNH stay off the scoresheet, there is a 1% chance that the Oilers are winning that game. There absolutely no secondary scoring aka support.

The argument was he had ZERO help putting up points in the Art Ross race.
What happens when other lines are on the ice doesn´t effect that.

Can´t eat the cookie and still have it, sorry.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Matthews for me. He belongs in a tier with Mackinnon/McDavid/Eichel where I feel Drai is one tier down with the likes of Rantanen/Barzal/Marner.
What has Matthews done to be put in a conversation with McDavid? Comparing their production is heavily lopsided in McDavids favor and hes only 7-8 months older than matthews. Nevermind how McDavid drives the play and controls pace of the game a lot more than Matthews does.

Crosby/Malkin/Kucherov are the guys in McDavids tier IMO . Patrick Kane is also right around that level

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The argument was he had ZERO help putting up points in the Art Ross race.
What happens when other lines are on the ice doesn´t effect that.

Can´t eat the cookie and still have it, sorry.
I explained, some of the time he gets 1 good linemate. And he doesn’t really have any puck moving defensemen on the ice with him.

He doesn’t have much support, and you’re one of the only ones who thinks so.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It’s funny how pedantic HF is when it comes to player contracts.

Matthews is quite a bit better than LD...it’s an easy decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->