Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
This forum sometimes... Matthews is the better player. You take the better player and worry about the cap implications later. This is management 101.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Apr 9, 2009
USA
well, one is going to the playoffs and one isn't

One has been to the second round, has 16 points in 13 games in the playoffs. The other has never won a playoff series, has 7 points in 13 games in the playoffs.

So if we're using your logic based on playoff stuff, Draisaitl has done more and been beyond the first round.

I am not necessarily picking Draisaitl, just pointing this out.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Contract is a pretty big difference, especially at the point when Drai is still making 8.5 million for two more seasons, and Matthews is probably getting nearly double that to put up maybe slightly better numbers?

Matthews is a great player, but Draisaitl's contract is much better.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I keep hearing Leafs fans acting like it's not close, by saying you take the better player. Well even assuming both played a full season of 82 games at their current scoring rate, Draisaitl is like 4-5 points ahead. What makes Matthews better?
The answer to this is McDavid. Draisaitl is a third line center without McDavid while Matthews plays with plugs on a team that is adverse to offense. Or so we have been told many times.

In reality Matthews is the better goal scorer. His shot is flat out exceptional. Leon has worked hard to close that gap. But Leon is definitely the better passer and at this point looks to be more likely to make others on his line better. I suspect that if both players were offered up to NHL GM's most would pick Matthews but I certainly don't think it would be AINEC if you include contracts.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’m going to make a prediction.

If Matthew loses this poll, it’s not because of rational reasons regarding the contract but because HFboards/the universe is always picking on the Leafs.

That being said, I think it’s close. I don’t like the length of the Matthews deal being only five years, which is why I’m voting for Draisaitl.

I can confidently say anyone voting against #34 in this poll is an Oiler Fan, or Leaf Hater.

It’s not Close

I would say I hate being right, but look what we have here.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
This forum sometimes... Matthews is the better player. You take the better player and worry about the cap implications later. This is management 101.

Not when it's another player who's over ppg

I would rather have scheifele on his contract than Matthew's

This year I would rather drai going forward, if he can repeat this kind of play next year too

Matthew's contract is garbage and he could end up leaving or costing the leafs more

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The answer to this is McDavid. Draisaitl is a third line center without McDavid while Matthews plays with plugs on a team that is adverse to offense. Or so we have been told many times.

In reality Matthews is the better goal scorer. His shot is flat out exceptional. Leon has worked hard to close that gap. But Leon is definitely the better passer and at this point looks to be more likely to make others on his line better. I suspect that if both players were offered up to NHL GM's most would pick Matthews but I certainly don't think it would be AINEC if you include contracts.
:help::help::help:

Also Kapanen is not a plug, he would be the 4th best forward on the Oilers, Johnsson would be 5th best.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Draisaitl is straight up the better player right now without even considering he’s on the better contract.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Drai is a better playmaker. Papi is a better skater, is better defensively, has better handles, is stronger and has a way better shot.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Kapanen WAS considered a plug by everyone before this year, 9 points in 57 games. His value was routunely mocked on the trade board last summer. Amazing what playing with a superstar can do though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad