Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I wasn't aware a player making 11.634M per needed a line mates excuse that he can't drive his linemates as opposed to having linemates drive his production. If this is going to be your go to post. Then you may ask yourself, did Dubas get taken to the cleaners by Matthews and Matthews' agents.

He doesn't. That's the entire point. One guy produces 30% better to the same point in his career with lesser linemates. Additionally, the other guy produces terribly worse when playing with lesser linemates, which just compounds the gap between the two.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Miniscule rookies then lol....on a serious note how does that even matter? McDavid was outscored by Mark Letestu on that run lol
It doesn’t matter. But you suggested one guy doesn’t get tonthe playoffs when they have the same amount of games played.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Miniscule rookies then lol....on a serious note how does that even matter? McDavid was outscored by Mark Letestu on that run lol

Youre who suggested that you have to make the playoffs to do something, but then get upset when you see that Matthews and Draisaitl have played the same amount.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
How many 3rd rounds has even a 40 yr old (my age) leaf fan seen? Two.

How many leaf fans today aged 25 or younger know what a 3rd round is.

And this isn’t my burn, I would’ve thought of better.

And you haven’t seen a Stanley Cup win in almost 30 years what’s your point?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
It doesn’t matter. But you suggested one guy doesn’t get tonthe playoffs when they have the same amount of games played.

Yes you see the Leafs will likely be making the playoffs for a 3rd year running...the Oilers not so much. You making it an extra round means very little on a consistent basis. The Leafs had by far the harder matchups...AINEC.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Great? Pretty sure the comment was directed at me and I am only speaking for me. If you want to know if I have witnessed a second round, yes. Yes I have. Reality is it was a simply asinine comment by folks who don't want to debate the comparisons between the two players.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I'm 33 and I still remember the Leafs making the Conference Finals in 1993, 1994, 1999 & 2002.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not this year. Or the last 3 seasons. The lesser linemates argument again? I know Draisaitl does not have Tavares, Marner, and Rielly on the PP. Nor is Draisaitl on as deep a team offensively.
Id be curious to see if draisaitl would produce with those guys, because as of right now he hasnt shown he can produce like a top 6 player without one specific player in the entire world.

In fact, as much as the rest of his team is horrendous, draisautl actually manages to drag them down further.

It takes a special kind of bad to drag down the Oilers even further. But hey, you must know better than his own coach, who tears him apart in frustration to the media, amirite?

By your track record, you must know better i assume. You did, after all, proclaim the senators a team that plays an exciting, winning brand of hockey, a good solid month into last season. And as we all know now, the only thing exciting about them is the goal light behind their net going off so often. And winning? Well theyll win the first overall this year amirite?

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The OP does not mention ELC's. You are trying to change the OP. Not so fast. The primary question is who do you prefer Draisaitl at 8.5M or Matthews at 11.634M? Look at the title. So again. Are you going to dodge all night?

I'll break it down for you. Step by step. There should be no more excuses of what if arguments. Here are the facts.

Draisaitl 8.5M per.
66 pts, 55 games. 1.2 PPG
32 goals in 55 games. .581 GPG

82 game projection 98.4 points
82 game projection 47.7 goals
Missed games last 3 seasons. 4

Matthews 11.634M per.
47 pts, 41 games. 1.146 PPG.
24 goals 41 games. .585 GPG
Missed games last 3 seasons 34

82 game projection 94 points
82 game projection 48 goals

So your what if argument of Matthews having more points is a false one, as is your missing games argument.

Draisaitl is producing better in actual numbers, on pace numbers and at 3.134M less than Matthews, has proven to be more durable, and is signed a year longer that eats up an additional UFA year.
I wouldn't have mentioned Matthews still being on his ELC if you didn't use his stats for this season and his contract that doesn't start until next season, just because Draisaitl happens to have better stats.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Great? Pretty sure the comment was directed at me and I am only speaking for me. If you want to know if I have witnessed a second round, yes. Yes I have. Reality is it was a simply asinine comment by folks who don't want to debate the comparisons between the two players.
Ok here’s the comparison between the two players. Both are massively overrated by their own fanbases and both players flaws are ignored and excused by both fanbases. In very current terms, one guy st the minimum looks like he has a pulse and somewhat cares. Both are fortunate to have much better players in their teams.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Quotes do not provide support to an argument. I can find a quote to support any ludicrous argument. For example, I could find a quote to support that the world is flat.

The world is not flat. If it was cats would have knocked everything off of it by now.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I'm 33 and I still remember the Leafs making the Conference Finals in 1993, 1994, 1999 & 2002.
Ya. I should’ve said two runs in that time frame. It’s four. I suppose an average of one conference final appearance per decade isn’t too bad.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He doesn't. That's the entire point. One guy produces 30% better to the same point in his career with lesser linemates. Additionally, the other guy produces terribly worse when playing with lesser linemates, which just compounds the gap between the two.

Another irrelevant point. The OP is not asking who is more productive at the same point of their careers. Matthews has been injured 2 of his career years which one should factor in. But I trust PPG, actual production Draisaitl has produced similar or better. At going fwd at 8.5, not 11.634 M per. And let's not forget a year longer as his deal eats up more UFA years. These are facts you cannot sweep under the carpet as hard as you try to.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Another irrelevant point. The OP is not asking who is more productive at the same point of their careers. Matthews has been injured 2 of his career years which one should factor in. But I trust PPG, actual production Draisaitl has produced similar or better. At going fwd at 8.5, not 11.634 M per. And let's not forget a year longer as his deal eats up more UFA years. These are facts you cannot sweep under the carpet as hard as you try to.

He's asking which contract you'd rather have. If one player has shown to be 30% more productive to the same point in his career with lesser linemates then that one player is significantly more valuable, "These are facts you cannot sweep under the carpet as hard as you try to".

If Drai could do what Matthews does with lesser linemates, suddenly teams have to focus on more than one line and aren't able to just chew up and spit out the other three. You do realize the key to Toronto's success lies in rolling out multiple lines that are threats right? Or maybe you thought it was their defense?

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
4 conference finals in 25 years.
As amazing and enviable as that record is, my point is that a 40-50 year old has seen an average of one conference final per decade of their existence. Why are you trying to tell me that’s false?

If you have an emotional bond to yellow, would you try to suggest that it’s any colour other than yellow?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's asking which contract you'd rather have. If one player has shown to be 30% more productive to the same point in his career with lesser linemates then that one player is significantly more valuable, "These are facts you cannot sweep under the carpet as hard as you try to".

If Drai could do what Matthews does with lesser linemates, suddenly teams have to focus on more than one line and aren't able to just chew up and spit out the other three. You do realize the key to Toronto's success lies in rolling out multiple lines that are threats right? Or maybe you thought it was their defense?

This is what I call clinging to a irrelevant point..Matthews is signed to 11.634M per despite missing 34 games his last 2 seasons. Draisaitl signed to 8.5 who has missed just 4 games in the same time, with an extra year of UFA status of his contract eaten up at this point. The point in career argument is lark, and you know it. These are the facts how the question was asked. The OP is asking who would you take.

Draisaitl 8.5M per.
66 pts, 55 games. 1.2 PPG
32 goals in 55 games. .581 GPG

82 game projection 98.4 points
82 game projection 47.7 goals
Missed games last 3 seasons. 4

Matthews 11.634M per.
47 pts, 41 games. 1.146 PPG.
24 goals 41 games. .585 GPG
Missed games last 3 seasons 34

82 game projection 94 points
82 game projection 48 goals

Draisaitl is producing better in actual numbers, on pace numbers and at 3.134M less than Matthews, has proven to be more durable, and is signed a year longer that eats up an additional UFA year. Now if one wants to gamble on Matthews being injury free and producing 3.134M more than Draisaitl, this is fine. But the odds of that happening? Don't bet the house on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad