Prospect Info: Draft Thread | How Far Would You Trade Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Over that period.......

I suppose that glosses over the 42 games missed by Nuge in his first season when Schiefele was back in junior.

Nuge missed 20 games in his first year with an injury that originated from his junior days. But as I pointed out to address just this comment in that year Scheifele had his own injury issues in juniors. It does not change the point that if one is a band aid so is the other.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Otters coach Kris Knoblauch was on Oilers Now right now and was commenting on some of the top OHL prospects. He reluctantly made a comment about Chychrun's physical maturity and how it may explain some of his success at the junior level.

Also, he said the players who work best with McDavid were not fast skaters but smart passers. Bob implied this would bode well for a Tkachuk pick.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm starting to think these scouting agencies are falling victim to group think when it comes to the defensemen.

I look back at the 2013 draft and see Nurse(who I think Sergachev/Chychrun were quite a bit better than as OHLers) and Risto taken before guys like Nichuchkin, Domi and Horvat and I wonder how much(if at all) better Tkachuk/Dubois are supposed to be than those guys.

I feel like the actual 4-10 picks are going to look far different than anyone's list.

Oct 15, 2008
Trying to argue that scheifele is much better then Nuge is a joke. Just because Nuge was drafted higher doesn't make him a worse player. I wonder what Nuge would look like with the jets defense behind him.

I've never said that he was or wasn't.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Otters coach Kris Knoblauch was on Oilers Now right now and was commenting on some of the top OHL prospects. He reluctantly made a comment about Chychrun's physical maturity and how it may explain some of his success at the junior level.

Also, he said the players who work best with McDavid were not fast skaters but smart passers. Bob implied this would bode well for a Tkachuk pick.

That is why Eberle should remain on his wing.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
And Jakob Chychrun. :laugh:

He may just have an eye for guys rated highly that he does not think will end up being great at the next level. If you recall he was slammed big time for seriously down grading Jake Virtanen in his draft year and Virtanen doesn't look that special at this point in time.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If Stauffer still has any connections within the Oiler scouting ranks after McGregor's departure, then it sure sounds like Tkachuk is the guy the Oilers want. Seemed like half the interview with the OHL guy was exclusively about debunking the "product of Marner" mentality, and talking about whether he'd be a good fit playing with Mcdavid.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Hate the fact that we are going to draft Thachuk at #4. Hard to be optimistic about this teams future if we keep burning assets on LW youth! We better be trading this pick for the best RD we can get but after listening to bob today I am truly scared we won't be improving very much.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What did he miss the other 22 games with?

You have an affinity for shaping sample sizes to suit your argument, so you will continue to see whatever you want to see regardless of what is presented to you.

Nuge played 62 games out of 82. To me that means 20 missed games rather than 42. If you don't like my math I am not sure what more I can say,

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nuge played 62 games out of 82. To me that means 20 missed games rather than 42. If you don't like my math I am not sure what more I can say,

Apparently Nuge is injury prone because he didn't play 82 games in the NHL during the lockout season. Not sure what to think when a poster repeatedly makes the same obvious mistake and also refers to Hopkins as the next Snowpants. I get that fans can get frustrated and begin to sour on certain players but this is getting a little redonkulous.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm starting to think these scouting agencies are falling victim to group think when it comes to the defensemen.

I look back at the 2013 draft and see Nurse(who I think Sergachev/Chychrun were quite a bit better than as OHLers) and Risto taken before guys like Nichuchkin, Domi and Horvat and I wonder how much(if at all) better Tkachuk/Dubois are supposed to be than those guys.

I feel like the actual 4-10 picks are going to look far different than anyone's list.

Oh come on now lol. Horvat was sub ppg in his draft year. Dubios is a simialr 2 way player, but bigger and wayyyy better numbers. AND Horvat played on stacked team

Tkachuk and Domi played on similar elite team (Tkachuks Knights better tho) and Tkachuk put up a lot higher numbers, even normalized for team scoring.

Nichuskin was really only forward who had a shot above those D. Horvat and Domi were universally held 9-15 picks

The 3 D in this draft are pretty similar to Risto/Nurse/zadorov. But the forwards in this draft are more similar to Landeskog/RNH/RyJo/Galchenyuk/Drasaitl/Bennett/Reinhart level talents than they are Horvat or Domi

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Hate the fact that we are going to draft Thachuk at #4. Hard to be optimistic about this teams future if we keep burning assets on LW youth! We better be trading this pick for the best RD we can get but after listening to bob today I am truly scared we won't be improving very much.

I don't think picking Tkachuk is the worst thing we could do. The worst thing we do is trade our 4th and take a project of a dman back or another Reinhart. I'd rather take Tkachuk if that was the case. Either way, there is so many rumors going around about all of Edmonton's players I bet you we will get our RHD before next season starts.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
What did he miss the other 22 games with?

You have an affinity for shaping sample sizes to suit your argument, so you will continue to see whatever you want to see regardless of what is presented to you.

Some of us thought the 2's were better than the 1's.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Why? If you are dealing any of the big 3 for D you have to replace scoring. Trade Hall in a big deal, and get a #1D plus Tkachuk you are good to go.

With what McDavids coach was saying about who McDavid does best with, I think Chiarelli is leaning more to him. Tkachuk has a pretty good nack for being a tremendous board player with high IQ to get puck to skill guys. Hes like Maroon but way more skilled, way smarter and a better skater

jeg

Jun 16, 2015

Last years picks were crazy off the charts, with all the data being used in today's game its probably harder then ever to judge picks

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's fine to make the pick at 4 as long as we are using other assets to get Dmen that will actually make a difference. If we do our usual thing of adding 4,5,6 dmen or bottom 6 forwards only this year so help me god....

(In the end I do think we are going to trade the pick one way or another, I'll actually be surprised if we don't get a good enough offer.)

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
It's fine to make the pick at 4 as long as we are using other assets to get Dmen that will actually make a difference. If we do our usual thing of adding 4,5,6 dmen or bottom 6 forwards only this year so help me god....

(In the end I do think we are going to trade the pick one way or another, I'll actually be surprised if we don't get a good enough offer.)

Absolutely. I dont care how it gets done but we've got to do some serious work on fixing our D. If we can do it through trade great, if not draft a d-man.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I don't think picking Tkachuk is the worst thing we could do. The worst thing we do is trade our 4th and take a project of a dman back or another Reinhart. I'd rather take Tkachuk if that was the case. Either way, there is so many rumors going around about all of Edmonton's players I bet you we will get our RHD before next season starts.

I sure hope we can do a little better than Reinhart for the 4th overall. Not taking a shot at Griff but we need a better player if we are going to get out of the basement. Tkachuk is going to be a wonderful player in a few years. To me he is just what what have already. If he was a right shot center I would be all for it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I would say that Tkachuk was well ahead of a guy like Horvat in his draft year. Really not that close skill-wise. Domi should likely have gone higher but I really think his size was a key in why he fell. That year may have been the height of the most recent fixation on size. Skill wise he probably could have gone ahead of either Monahan or Lindholm but those two were also being projected as big centers while Domi was viewed as a small winger.

The other issue that Domi had was that he seemed to be very much an individual. You could also see that in his post draft year where he and Marner just did not mix all that well since Domi always wanted the puck. Marner actually played his best hockey while Domi was off at the WJHC's. He has really made great strides in that respect in the NHLbut in reality I think that what is happening now is that pure skill is on the rise as an attribute as some smaller players have really had a lot of success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad