Prospect Info: Draft Thread | How Far Would You Trade Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Last Thread hit 1k.

I'd be fine with taking Logan Brown at 4 now that I've thought about it if Draisaitl's moved. He'd be a real good 3rd line center for us. I don't think he has the offensive upside to be a guy like Getzlaf, but I do see him turning into a guy like J. Staal who was taken 2nd, or Couturier who was taken 8th. Still think the best fit for us is Sergachev though. Were not going to be a contender until we fix the scoring on the backend. Also if we pass on Sergachev and he becomes an OEL type dman for Vancouver or Calgary we'll never live it down.

Brown won't be a #1, and Dubois MIGHT be a center at the NHL level, could easily be put back on wing. I don't see how Columbus can pass on Puljujarvi really given their lack of RW depth. If I'm Columbus I take Puljujarvi and try to sign Frans Nielson as a UFA.

Dubinsky should be a 3C, and is doing very badly as their top guy. Their other guys are okay but again, they are all middle six potential at best.

Last year Maloney said the only realistic way to get a top center is through the draft, and that's why he took Strome (and reached a bit to take him). So if Columbus takes Puljujarvi they are setting up their whole team and Puljujarvi to fail. They might as well look at the top of next year's draft if they plan on taking a winger in the draft this year.

It's not that they would expect someone like Brown or Dubois to immediately push them up the standings. It's that they would REQUIRE their team to fail or else they'd be stuck without a true 1C indefinitely.

Now in no way was I implying that Oilers should draft Keller. I was stating Keller is ranked in my top 10 in this years draft.
Pronman has Keller at #4 in his latest rankings for a reason.

Doug Weight esque, Doug Weight esque.

I believe we will witness Benson drafted in the 1st round also. I do not see him sliding to the second round, at all.

Where do you see Jost going? For me I could see him in the top 10 as well. Such a smart player with tons of skill.

I dunno about that, we've seen both Seguin and Johansen be traded within the last 3 years. I think it's possible to get a good young center but you have to be willing to give something up to get them.

Dubinsky was on Jenners wing the second half of the season but I do understand what you are saying.

I think they are satisfied with Wennberg as the 3rd line center for now. At the age of 22 this year he has a lot of time to become a potential 2nd line center. He has the tools.

Although we know having legit center depth never hurts.

I feel Minnesota will be gunning for a top 6 center very soon. Koivu and Granlund both bring the same type of game but Erik Haula is shooting up the charts fast.

I have to predict Jost goes from #9-#15

I am curious on who Van drafts at #5, they could draft just about anyone with their empty cupboards.

Seguin was only legit one to be traded. Jones was a very recent 4th overall pick, so I mean trading a fresh 4th overall pick for a young center is almost the same as taking a center in draft

If thye had taken Monahan (Nashville), theyd be in same spot they are today with Johansen

Speaking of Wennberg, unless Columbus pulls off some big deals to offload their NMCs, Wennberg is likely gone in the expansion draft. Columbus has 4 forwards taking up NMC forced protects and then Jenner/Atkinson/Wennberg for unprotected forwards. Only 2 can be protected. You could protect all 3 but then you open up Murray or Jones to be exposed

They can either pay out the ying yang to get someone to take Tyutin, Hartnell, Clarkson. Or bite the bullet and trade Dubinsky/Foligno

Either way, 1 of Wennberg or Dubinsky wont be there by expansion draft or next year

Not sure why Columbus would take anyone other than Puljujarvi at #3. Just makes more sense that they trade down if he's not their guy.

For discussion sake: If Edmonton and Columbus covet the same player(Dubios or Tkachuk) and/or sees same things in Puljarvi to question him , then im not sure Edmonton offers much to trade up, if anything. Which kind of forces Columbus to pick that guy above JP. Because that guy they covet is gone right after

To be fair, could you really call Seguin a "legit" top line center when Boston traded him to Dallas? IIRC he wasn't even playing as a full time center the year before he was traded, both Krejci and Bergeron were ahead of him in that role.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Poll question is spurred by the idea Chiarelli would want to stay within the top-9 picks. Speculation would be that we'd move down to where a defenseman (Chchyrun, Sergachev) or possibly Brown would be.

IMO, as long as someone takes Juolevi or Nylander, we can drop to as far as 10 and grab someone I figure the Oilers covet.

Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander, Brown, Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Count me in the trade outright category.

I'm not really interested in trading down. Unless it's going for a guy who can play on our top pairing next year I'd rather just stand pat and pick Dubois.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't care what kind of trade is made, just as long as this 4oa pick is used to bring in an NHL top 4D.

Anything else and I'm pissed. Absolutely no interest in adding an 18 year old.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd trade down if it meant getting one of McAvoy/Thompson/Brown later in the 1st + whatever good asset came the Oilers way for trading down... (depends on the asset/pick the Oilers get for trading down of course).

Blacktape

Aug 3, 2003
Saskatoon
depends on who they get back in a trade but there is very good picks as far down as Rubtsov & McAvoy , but not interested in Nylander at all. So I would trade even down as far as 12th

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Thought about starting a Mem Cup thread but I'll just post here.

Tkachuk draws a Haydn Fleury penalty and then sets up a PP goal from the right wing. Looking like the right combo of grit and skill we need. If Pouliot is on his way out, maybe there's room for him here.

Keeping a eye on future possible first-rounders Juolevi, Max Jones and Pu as well (wouldn't mind a Pu jersey), but Marner is just a monster. A man among boys in his post-draft year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Tkachuk draws a Haydn Fleury penalty and then sets up a PP goal from the right wing. Looking like the right combo of grit and skill we need. If Pouliot is on his way out, maybe there's room for him here.

Keeping a eye on future possible first-rounders Juolevi, Max Jones and Pu as well (wouldn't mind a Pu jersey), but Marner is just a monster. A man among boys in his post-draft year.

Great hockey eh?

This Knights team looks so good. Marner with 3 assists already in the first period. Keeping a close eye on Tkachuk.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Great hockey eh?

This Knights team looks so good. Marner with 3 assists already in the first period. Keeping a close eye on Tkachuk.

Really good.

Dvorak and Marner sure cast a bit of a shadow over their teammates. Those guys both could have been Calder Award nominees this year.

Edit: And then they combine for a sweet goal off the rush. Red Deer is way outmatched.
Honestly it's hard to get a read on the draft-eligible guys. They're not the drivers on this team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How have the draft eligible guys looked so far in the game? Just started watching now.

Tkachuk has been good. Drew a Rebels player into a bad penalty and has an assist already. Juolevi is not bad. I personally think he is way overhyped, I'm not nearly as high on Juolevi as some others are.

Jones has looked like he's buzzing out there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Really good.

Dvorak and Marner sure cast a bit of a shadow over their teammates. Those guys both could have been Calder Award nominees this year.

I swear it seems like they could score every single shift.

Edit: And on que Marner with a sick goal from Dvorak.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Tkachuk has been good. Drew a Rebels player into a bad penalty and has an assist already. Juolevi is not bad. I personally think he is way overhyped, I'm not nearly as high on Juolevi as some others are.

Jones has looked like he's buzzing out there.

Agreed on Juolevi. He's not the right fit here. Left-handed, left d, very light, bumped around easily. Not sure whether he actually "runs" a good PP, or just plays with good players.

Marner again. 6-0.

Finally Red Deer scores on a sweet deflection. Juolevi chasing in the D zone.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Agreed on Juolevi. He's not the right fit here. Left-handed, left d, very light, bumped around easily. Not sure whether he actually "runs" a good PP, or just plays with good players.

Marner again. 6-0.

Finally Red Deer scores on a sweet deflection. Juolevi chasing in the D zone.

Agreed. Don't like Juolevi as a fit here at all.

Marner has 5 points already it's a thing of beauty to watch that line play.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Really good.

Edit: And then they combine for a sweet goal off the rush. Red Deer is way outmatched.
Honestly it's hard to get a read on the draft-eligible guys. They're not the drivers on this team.

London Knights season ticket holder here. As far back as the 2005 Mem cup winner team (Corey Perry and company) and I see allot of similarities with Tkachuk and Correy Perry. Damn shame that Dubois wasn't in this tourney so we could get a better look at him.

Agreed tho, his feisty gritty play and won't back down from anyone is just what the doctor ordered, if the Oil pass on him, I prey he doesn't end up a flame. :shakehead

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario

Don't think Jones will last tell the early 2nd Rd. I see him gone in the 1st Rd. But there is a possibility that Pu is there in the early 2nd Rd where the Oil would select and I see a similar style to Curtis Lazar and would slot in perfectly as a 3rd line centre down the road. Really like his game and with a last name of "Pu" he's obviously become a fan favorite here in London. :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Juolevi just played a 1 on 1 so soft. No interest in him as an Oiler.

Tkachuk looks awesome.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Agreed. Don't like Juolevi as a fit here at all.

Marner has 5 points already it's a thing of beauty to watch that line play.

It's really almost unfair. Red Deer's defense isn't big or quick enough to cover him.

London Knights season ticket holder here. As far back as the 2005 Mem cup winner team (Corey Perry and company) and I see allot of similarities with Tkachuk and Correy Perry. Damn shame that Dubois wasn't in this tourney so we could get a better look at him.

Agreed tho, his feisty gritty play and won't back down from anyone is just what the doctor ordered, if the Oil pass on him, I prey he doesn't end up a flame. :shakehead

You've gotten good value for your ticket, what a perennially dominant org.
Tkachuk could use maybe another year in London to be the go-to guy, what do you think?

Don't think Jones will last tell the early 2nd Rd. I see him gone in the 1st Rd. But there is a possibility that Pu is there in the early 2nd Rd where the Oil would select and I see a similar style to Curtis Lazar and would slot in perfectly as a 3rd line centre down the road. Really like his game and with a last name of "Pu" he's obviously become a fan favorite here in London. :laugh:

I would look forward to a Pouliot-Pu-Puljujarvi line in a cfew years, if Tkachuk goes third overall, haha.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Really good.

They wouldn't have been anywhere close to Calder nominees this season. You're underestimating how good and experienced they are compared to their competition. When Marner steps into the NHL he will likely put up 40-55 points realistically and Dvorak probably less.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
They wouldn't have been anywhere close to Calder nominees this season. You're underestimating how good and experienced they are compared to their competition. When Marner steps into the NHL he will likely put up 40-55 points realistically and Dvorak probably less.

Eh, you're right. Didn't consider McDavid or Panarin, or the teams they'd be joining either, when I typed that. Maybe in another year they could have.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I would vote trade it outright. Because it is the hypothetically the best route if we get back a much needed right shooting top 3 defender.

However if we can somehow address most of our needs in other ways or as part of trading down I am open to anything. However, one more caveat is that our forward prospect pool is so poor taking at least one top end top 6 talent forward. That would require us to pick in the top ten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad