Draft Simulator Thread

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
it wasn’t a knock on Dion necessarily. I just don’t want to take more than three defensemen this year. Just my hang up.

Gotcha... guess I don't really have any pre-determined goal for this draft, it's more about getting players I like. I think it is very likely given what this draft has to offer, we end up with a good number of forwards though. I would be very surprised if this was a D heavy draft this year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The question isn't whether he is the best defensemen of the draft, but whether he ends up a legit top-pair defensemen. If he ends up being a solid number 3, that will have been a bad use of the number 4 pick. I have said it before and will say it again, this isn't a great draft for defensemen and this draft isn't going to fix our defensive issues. The people expecting meaningful offensive contributions from Sanderson at the next level are going to be disappointed. Thankfully 2021 is shaping up to be a much better draft for defensemen (at least in the early first round).
we don't know how kids will progress and if SY thinks he will become something great , so be it . Don't forget there are so many very good prospect in second round and if we get extra second round picks I will be very happy. Who could predict outcome for Aho or Kucherov .
Still I believe LW is our biggest needs , Lafreniere , Stutzle and Reymond will be more important than defenseman

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Did another with no trades ... 8 forwards , 2 d’s and no goalies

2 - byfield
32 - peterka
51- torgersson
58 - jarventie
63 - mitchell miller
65 - heineman
113 - glotzl
125 - zlodeyev
156 - burns
187 - tarnstrom

Wish we’d have an extra 3-5 picks man and a few more top 60’s , ah well

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
we don't know how kids will progress and if SY thinks he will become something great , so be it . Don't forget there are so many very good prospect in second round and if we get extra second round picks I will be very happy. Who could predict outcome for Aho or Kucherov .
Still I believe LW is our biggest needs , Lafreniere , Stutzle and Reymond will be more important than defenseman

I am not looking to appeal to Yzerman's authority. If your attitude is "just trust the GM" there is no reason to discuss the draft at all. In watching Sanderson I see nothing that suggests he as a reasonable shot at being a high-end NHL defensemen. His puck skills are pretty mediocre in my opinion. I don't want to take a defensemen at 4 (or trade down from 4) if I don't think they will be a high-end defensemen. Not with 2021's class being full of better options.

We are bad because we lack elite talent. We are not going to get better until we acquire more elite talent. Your best opportunity for acquiring elite talent is the top of the first round.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Did another with no trades ... 8 forwards , 2 d’s and no goalies

2 - byfield
32 - peterka
51- torgersson
58 - jarventie
63 - mitchell miller
65 - heineman
113 - glotzl
125 - zlodeyev
156 - burns
187 - tarnstrom

Wish we’d have an extra 3-5 picks man and a few more top 60’s , ah well

Supposedly you don't want more than 11 picks because of the contract limits. You could obviously use those excess picks to move up though.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I am not looking to appeal to Yzerman's authority. If your attitude is "just trust the GM" there is no reason to discuss the draft at all. In watching Sanderson I see nothing that suggests he as a reasonable shot at being a high-end NHL defensemen. His puck skills are pretty mediocre in my opinion. I don't want to take a defensemen at 4 (or trade down from 4) if I don't think they will be a high-end defensemen. Not with 2021's class being full of better options.

We are bad because we lack elite talent. We are not going to get better until we acquire more elite talent. Your best opportunity for acquiring elite talent is the top of the first round.

Sanderson is a lot like Seider.
A year later, everyone loves Seider.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sanderson is a lot like Seider.
A year later, everyone loves Seider.

One more reason not to take him. We took a better version of the same type of player last year. At least Drysdale has a different set of strengths and brings something new to the organization with his puck movement and play in the offensive zone.

Like I said, I like our chances of landing a better defenseman than Sanderson next year and I don't want to spend three, high first-round picks on defensemen in three straight drafts.

People should really invest some time in watching Sanderson play. I should not be surprised with what I am witnessing though. Our defense is really bad and people are panicking without stopping to consider whether this draft class really has the talent that will improve our organization's defense. Panic is the mother of all bad decisions.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Smaller, less physical, I mean... reaching.

But a brilliant skater, considered elite defensively, and could have a serious amount of untapped offensive potential. There is some Scott Niedermayer in his game.

Sanderson today is in a VERY similar position to where Seider was last year.

My guess is if yzerman drafts him, we'll have 24 hours of pissing and moaning and then everyone will love him.

Personally, it's not my thing. Just like Seider wasn't who I'd have picked.
But on the other hand, Sanderson/Seider/Hronek plus whatever develops out of Cholo, Johansson, McIsaac, Tuomisto, Lindstrom ...
Good chance our defensive rebuild is complete.

What's Yzerman's draft record with defense?
First round: Call Foote, Tony D'Angelo, Slater Koekkok
Second round: Libor Hajek, Matthew Spencer, Domink Masin, Johnathan Macleod, Dylan Blujus
Beyond (only guys who've made it): Jake Dotchin, Nesterov, Gudas

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
One more reason not to take him. We took a better version of the same type of player last year. At least Drysdale has a different set of strengths and brings something new to the organization with his puck movement and play in the offensive zone.

Like I said, I like our chances of landing a better defenseman than Sanderson next year and I don't want to spend three, high first-round picks on defensemen in three straight drafts.

People should really invest some time in watching Sanderson play. I should not be surprised with what I am witnessing though. Our defense is really bad and people are panicking without stopping to consider whether this draft class really has the talent that will improve our organization's defense. Panic is the mother of all bad decisions.

I do not have Sanderson in my top 4,
Nor do I have Drysdale there.
On the other hand, I really don't have Drysdale ahead of Sanderson.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Smaller, less physical, I mean... reaching.

Also believed to have higher offensive potential entering the draft.

The last time people saw him he was the best player at the five nations tournament, dominating proceedings. He has been fantastic since about the holiday season on. I don't know where he will go, but I have a friend that is a NHL scout that has him as his best D-man in the draft.

To be clear he isn't there on my board. But he looks like a rock solid top 4 d-man to me. I have less concern drafting him than I do Rossi.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I only know him because this video

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The last time people saw him he was the best player at the five nations tournament, dominating proceedings. He has been fantastic since about the holiday season on. I don't know where he will go, but I have a friend that is a NHL scout that has him as his best D-man in the draft.

To be clear he isn't there on my board. But he looks like a rock solid top 4 d-man to me. I have less concern drafting him than I do Rossi.

I really don't like this draft if the Wings are in that fourth spot. Assuming Laf/Byfield/stutzle go 1-2-3, who does everyone really like fourth? We all have preferences, I'd probably go Raymond (though askarov is in that conversation for me...) but there is no one there I look at and unreservedly go, "him."

The last sim I ran I got the fourth pick, dealt back for 8th, 15th, and a third rounder somewhere. Drafted Lundell and Askarov. That's probably my dream scenario for picking fourth.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really don't like this draft if the Wings are in that fourth spot. Assuming Laf/Byfield/stutzle go 1-2-3, who does everyone really like fourth? We all have preferences, I'd probably go Raymond (though askarov is in that conversation for me...) but there is no one there I look at and unreservedly go, "him."

The last sim I ran I got the fourth pick, dealt back for 8th, 15th, and a third rounder somewhere. Drafted Lundell and Askarov. That's probably my dream scenario for picking fourth.

I would draft Raymond if that is how the 1,2,3 go.

I like Raymond a lot, I only have Stutzle ahead because I think he genuinely should be able to play center at the NHL level. Raymond can/will run a line from the wing though, he has that kind of hockey brain and mitts in my opinion. But they were in a pretty big dead heat for me, so I guess in my case I don't see a huge drop off Stutzle to Raymond.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would draft Raymond if that is how the 1,2,3 go.

I like Raymond a lot, I only have Stutzle ahead because I think he genuinely should be able to play center at the NHL level. Raymond can/will run a line from the wing though, he has that kind of hockey brain and mitts in my opinion. But they were in a pretty big dead heat for me, so I guess in my case I don't see a huge drop off Stutzle to Raymond.

Have to admit, part of me just isn't thrilled picking another wing. I've seen very few wings who have been line drivers on Cup winners. Kane did it, carrying his line. I don't think Ovi did. Hull didn't. Shanny didn't. Jagr didn't. I've been a big proponent of picking BPA, but unless we're really liking Veleno/Rasmussen the Wings really need to find some help up the middle.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Here is my draft. I won first overall traded it to Ottawa for a the second overall, a first and some seconds. I then traded second overall for 3rd overal and two seconds. I had to add some late draft picks to make both these trades work. Let me know what you think...
20200611_211508.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-193419_Samsung Internet.jpg

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
had the 4th pick and traded with NJ who already had the 3rd pick
so NJ walked away with byfield and holtz at 3/4

7 - Jake Sanderson LD
14- Anton Lundell C
32- Jan Mysak LW/C
51- Yan Kuznetsov LD
63- Drew Commesso G
65- Kasper Simontaival RW
156- Axel Kumlin RD
161- Jacob Truscott LD
187- Josh Pillar C

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Have to admit, part of me just isn't thrilled picking another wing. I've seen very few wings who have been line drivers on Cup winners. Kane did it, carrying his line. I don't think Ovi did. Hull didn't. Shanny didn't. Jagr didn't. I've been a big proponent of picking BPA, but unless we're really liking Veleno/Rasmussen the Wings really need to find some help up the middle.

Ovie has good centers, but he has absolutely been the focal point of his line for years and was the Smythe winner during that run.

I am also not sure this is really a trend that is living up in modern hockey. If we aren't lucky enough to snag a Byfield, Wright, or Lambert at some point in the next few years the reality is Veleno/Rasmussen are going to hopefully be weaponized by a guy like Raymond and Zadina. I know it would be ideal to get that center but this is sort of what happens with BPA.

Kucherov, Pastrnak, Johhny Hockey (very down year), Kane, Marner. I think there are some modern guys that drive lines, I know some of them have a lot of help. I hope we get Raymond a lot of help in this scenario. The point is he is a guy I believe can drive offense, I believe in his first line abilities. If that is how the board falls, I think we should take him, he is a playmaker that can make guys around him better. We need one of those.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
had the 4th pick and traded with NJ who already had the 3rd pick
so NJ walked away with byfield and holtz at 3/4

7 - Jake Sanderson LD
14- Anton Lundell C
32- Jan Mysak LW/C
51- Yan Kuznetsov LD
63- Drew Commesso G
65- Kasper Simontaival RW
156- Axel Kumlin RD
161- Jacob Truscott LD
187- Josh Pillar C

Please no.... Some of the most risky picks you could have selected with Kuznetsov, Simontaival & Kumlin being boom or bust picks. There are also concerns with Lundell.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Max Bultman of The Athletic did his own mock draft of the first three rounds:

No. 4 overall: Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens (SHL)
No. 32 overall: Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert (WHL)
No. 51 overall (via Edmonton): Emil Andrae, LHD, HV71 SuperElit
No. 58 overall (via Washington): Martin Chromiak, RW, Kingston (OHL)
No. 63 overall: Daniel Torgersson, LW, Frolunda (SuperElit)
No. 65 overall (via San Jose): Joel Blomqvist, G, Karpat (Jr. A SM Liiga)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I don't doubt for a second that some teams have Sanderson ahead of Drysdale and I do think he has a really high floor on account of his feet and defensive IQ. It is a position that is really hard to project and I can see teams valuing floor more than ceiling with these players. I have heard from people in multiple organizations that a lot of teams are still very skeptical of smaller defensemen period, so I won't be surprised if Drysdale goes a bit lower than some would think or if Sanderson is off the board before Drysdale. For the record I do not think that Drysdale is a can't miss, top-pair defensemen.

Sanderson being ahead of Drysdale, however, isn't the relevant inquiry. The better question to ask is whether Sanderson projects better than all other options at 4. To me the answer is a strong no and makes me wonder why people are even discussing him as a Wings draft pick. The answer is obviously my prior comment regarding panic or early June boredom.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Max Bultman of The Athletic did his own mock draft of the first three rounds:

No. 4 overall: Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens (SHL)
No. 32 overall: Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert (WHL)
No. 51 overall (via Edmonton): Emil Andrae, LHD, HV71 SuperElit
No. 58 overall (via Washington): Martin Chromiak, RW, Kingston (OHL)
No. 63 overall: Daniel Torgersson, LW, Frolunda (SuperElit)
No. 65 overall (via San Jose): Joel Blomqvist, G, Karpat (Jr. A SM Liiga)

Posted that in the draft thread.
4 wingers in the top 63????

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ovie has good centers, but he has absolutely been the focal point of his line for years and was the Smythe winner during that run.

I am also not sure this is really a trend that is living up in modern hockey. If we aren't lucky enough to snag a Byfield, Wright, or Lambert at some point in the next few years the reality is Veleno/Rasmussen are going to hopefully be weaponized by a guy like Raymond and Zadina. I know it would be ideal to get that center but this is sort of what happens with BPA.

Kucherov, Pastrnak, Johhny Hockey (very down year), Kane, Marner. I think there are some modern guys that drive lines, I know some of them have a lot of help. I hope we get Raymond a lot of help in this scenario. The point is he is a guy I believe can drive offense, I believe in his first line abilities. If that is how the board falls, I think we should take him, he is a playmaker that can make guys around him better. We need one of those.

How many cups did the caps win without a quality second center behind Backstrom? If Ovi could carry a second line by himself, allowing Backstrom to center and carry another line, the caps wouldn't have been a two rounds and out team for essentially his entire career there.

Asking your second line center to be carried by his wing is asking for a playoff team that will never get over the hump.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Also believed to have higher offensive potential entering the draft.

Just wanted to say you were right on Sanderson and I was mistaken. I had seen a lot of clips of him doing end to end rushes, and had the impression he was more of an offensive D. After watching him and seeking out others opinions on him, I do think he may be more of a 2 way or even defensive guy. Although we will see where his development goes from here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad