Draft Simulator Thread

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Max Bultman of The Athletic did his own mock draft of the first three rounds:

No. 4 overall: Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens (SHL)
No. 32 overall: Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert (WHL)
No. 51 overall (via Edmonton): Emil Andrae, LHD, HV71 SuperElit
No. 58 overall (via Washington): Martin Chromiak, RW, Kingston (OHL)
No. 63 overall: Daniel Torgersson, LW, Frolunda (SuperElit)
No. 65 overall (via San Jose): Joel Blomqvist, G, Karpat (Jr. A SM Liiga)

Not a fan of those first 3 picks at all. Though I do like the picks at 58 and 63.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How many cups did the caps win without a quality second center behind Backstrom? If Ovi could carry a second line by himself, allowing Backstrom to center and carry another line, the caps wouldn't have been a two rounds and out team for essentially his entire career there.

Asking your second line center to be carried by his wing is asking for a playoff team that will never get over the hump.

Didn’t we win a Cup with Filppula as the 2C? Hawks won a Cup with Handzus as the 2C. Last year STL won with... Schenn/Bozak as the 2C?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How many cups did the caps win without a quality second center behind Backstrom? If Ovi could carry a second line by himself, allowing Backstrom to center and carry another line, the caps wouldn't have been a two rounds and out team for essentially his entire career there.

Asking your second line center to be carried by his wing is asking for a playoff team that will never get over the hump.

I think you need a lot of good pieces to win a Stanley Cup. It really depends on if a Veleno or Rasmussen type can develop into the anchor two-way center that the wings weaponize. Kane did that with some guys that might not be your prototype.

There a lot of ways to build a team. Some of it comes down to opportunity. Reaching for a physically developed 5'9" mediocre skater because he plays center over a raw more talented skill player that drives offense from the wing would bother me. I know others feel differently about those players.

I still think we are in a collection of talent phase, we need to take the guy with the most talent. We have a ton of talent dearth. Would it be ideal to go #1C, #2C and #1D in some order, sure, but that might not be what is on the board when we pick. You would need to adjust to that. We have some industrious guys down the middle, perhaps the more talented wingers can unlock and use some of their talents. I think putting your pieces together happens is pretty fluid, it is the GMs job.

I want a center clearly, I want Byfield the most of anyone in this draft. But the board might not fall the way I want and frankly most of the hockey world if we land one will take the talented winger over the center this year, so it isn't that cut and dry really.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just wanted to say you were right on Sanderson and I was mistaken. I had seen a lot of clips of him doing end to end rushes, and had the impression he was more of an offensive D. After watching him and seeking out others opinions on him, I do think he may be more of a 2 way or even defensive guy. Although we will see where his development goes from here.

He has really good gap control. Honestly he is a player I think most harmed by no U18. I think he could have made himself a fringe top 5 guy with it.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Supposedly you don't want more than 11 picks because of the contract limits. You could obviously use those excess picks to move up though.
Well players wont all be signed right away , players in u.s and europe i think you have 4 yrs to sign? Russians time never expires i think .

Plus guys we have now might not pan out and contracts expire in 2-3 yrs so im not worried about that . Always get as many picks as possinle imo

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Max Bultman of The Athletic did his own mock draft of the first three rounds:

No. 4 overall: Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens (SHL)
No. 32 overall: Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert (WHL)
No. 51 overall (via Edmonton): Emil Andrae, LHD, HV71 SuperElit
No. 58 overall (via Washington): Martin Chromiak, RW, Kingston (OHL)
No. 63 overall: Daniel Torgersson, LW, Frolunda (SuperElit)
No. 65 overall (via San Jose): Joel Blomqvist, G, Karpat (Jr. A SM Liiga)
Ive done a few mocks where i traded back for more picks and always targeted holtz , like torgersson and got np with blomqvist , maybe even trade down to 66-68 if we can land him and get a 6-7th rd if at all possible at the draft

Not crazy about 32,51,58 picks although andrae at 51 would be goood , just not crazy about these short dmen personally . Id rather take a chance on a jurmo where if he hits his ceiling and with his size would be a big get for the wings . At 32 someone will no doubt fall where we’ll be thinking how is he there?

Id rather take a flyer at a lapierre if he falls due to injury concerns,peterka,khusnutdinov,reichel etc... than weisblatt but hell thats just my opinion

Hope we can land another 2nd somehow

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He has really good gap control. Honestly he is a player I think most harmed by no U18. I think he could have made himself a fringe top 5 guy with it.

Maybe, but I still have a lot of questions with him in respect to where folks are talking about him being picked. He is more of a 10-20 guy for me. It’s just where I am comfortable with him, personally.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Speaking of this...

Personally, I think if Lundell was healthy for the WJC, he would be in the conversation at 3/4 for this draft.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Kuz played 1C on their cup run Backstrom was 2C with TJ Oshie on his wing. When Backstrom missed a few games, Eller filled in nicely. Fact of the matter is that they were a deep team at both RW and C, plus they had Niskanen and Carlson on the back end with Holtby in net.

The best way to win the Cup is to have a complete team.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Picked 4th.
The Big 3 were gone.
Traded 4th and stuff for 8th and 11th and some stuff.
Targetted Sanderson + Askarov.
But the Ducks f***ed me and took Sanderson.
I went with Rossi over Holtz and managed to get Askarov.

8) Marco Rossi, C
(11) Yaroslav Askarov, G
(32) William Wallinder, LD
(51) Anton Johannesson, LD
(63) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(65) Emil Heineman, LW
(99) Alex Cotton, RD
(113) Blake Biondi, C
(125) Dmitri Zlodeyev, C
(156) Mason Langenbrunner, RD
(161) Maxim Beryozkin, LW
(187) Samuel Hlavaj, G

Reactions: Realgud

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
Just did a few rounds and this would be my (almost, if your switch Stutzle for Byfield) ideal scenario:
3. Stutzle, C/W
32. Bourque, C
54. Savoie, W (shouldn't the oilers pick be 51? Because I lost out on 1-2 better picks because of that)
63.?Jarventie,W
65. Wiesblatt,W
68. Finley,C (would have taken Vierling, but he went before this pick, so I went for the near PPG C with size)

Also took Philips, Hlavaj,Bednár and Tyutnev

Reactions: evolutionbaby

PuckeDRW

Jun 13, 2020
Long-time lurker.
My draft - no trades - all in on creating offensive depth.
More Germans (got lucky w/both Stutzle & Peterka) and a couple late-round flyers on Russian over agers playing in the CHL.
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 1.30.53 PM.png

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Traded some second rounders to Montreal for some second rounders when I got to 32 and saw 4-5 really good targets and the Canadiens having two picks.
Not sure it paid off.

(2) Quinton Byfield, C
(39) Lukas Reichel, LW/C
(40) Ryan O'Rourke, LD
(61) Jaromir Pytlik, C
(63) Emil Heineman, LW
(70) Joel Blomqvist, G
(113) Ian Moore, RD
(125) Isaak Phillips, LD
(156) Dmitri Zlodeyev, C
(187) Logan Stein, G

Reactions: evolutionbaby

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
More and more looking at Commesso at 51

2) Quinton Byfield, C
(32) Brendan Brisson, C
(51) Drew Commesso, G
(58) Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
(63) Tyler Kleven, LD
(65) Emil Heineman, LW
(113) Ian Moore, RD
(125) Jacob Dion, LD
(156) Dmitri Zlodeyev, C
(187) Mason Langenbrunner, RD

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
More and more looking at Commesso at 51

2) Quinton Byfield, C
(32) Brendan Brisson, C
(51) Drew Commesso, G
(58) Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
(63) Tyler Kleven, LD
(65) Emil Heineman, LW
(113) Ian Moore, RD
(125) Jacob Dion, LD
(156) Dmitri Zlodeyev, C
(187) Mason Langenbrunner, RD

I really like him in that range of picks starting at 51 as well. Unfortunately, I’m not sure he makes it that far...?

The other goalie I like later in the draft is this kid:
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529802/artur-akhtyamov

Reactions: jfrank21

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I haven't seen much on him. but I haven't looked hard at goalies beyond a handful.
Is he getting a lot of hype?

Not sure if he has any, honestly. Just intrigued by what I see on paper with that kid.

Looking at goalies, I also found this kid very interesting as a developmental project:

Brett Brochu at eliteprospects.com

Posted a .919 sv% in the OHL playing 100% of the season as a 17 year old. Yeah he may be small for a goalie, but the kid doesn’t turn 18 until Sep 9th, so it’s possible he is growing still.

Reactions: MBH

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Bored yet again and did another haha , decided to move up twice in the draft to target reichel and jurmo and made it the german draft for the wings

4 stutzle
32 peterka
37 reichel
45 jurmo
113 clang
115 glotzl
125 burns
205 tarnstrom
208 mancini

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010