Draft Simulator Thread

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Honestly Raymond and Drysdale vs Lafreniere is a really tough debate.

Yeah, that requires some thought. Lafreniere is really, really good, but is not a generational talent and is not a center. At his peak I am not sure he is one of the top 15 players in the league. I can't believe I am saying this, but I would give it some strong consideration.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, that requires some thought. Lafreniere is really, really good, but is not a generational talent and is not a center. At his peak I am not sure he is one of the top 15 players in the league. I can't believe I am saying this, but I would give it some strong consideration.
Yeah I like Lafreniere a lot, I also am not sure he'll be a top 15 player overall, but I do think he'll at least be close. He feels so certain to be a high quality first liner though and passing that up has so much opportunity for regret.

The problem is that Raymond honestly has very similar potential IMO, he's just way less certain and will take a lot longer to get there. Drysdale I feel really confident will be at least a second pairing D, and also could be one of the best D in the NHL. So I think with the combination we get less certainty, the timeline to competing is further back, but the top end potential is even higher. I really don't know if I make that trade, but I'm leaning yes. I really envy Ottawa's position in this draft.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah I like Lafreniere a lot, I also am not sure he'll be a top 15 player overall, but I do think he'll at least be close. He feels so certain to be a high quality first liner though and passing that up has so much opportunity for regret.

The problem is that Raymond honestly has very similar potential IMO, he's just way less certain and will take a lot longer to get there. Drysdale I feel really confident will be at least a second pairing D, and also could be one of the best D in the NHL. So I think with the combination we get less certainty, the timeline to competing is further back, but the top end potential is even higher. I really don't know if I make that trade, but I'm leaning yes. I really envy Ottawa's position in this draft.

one in hand, two in the bush

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Fresh off the press, got pick 4 and traded down with LA. I'd be over the moon with these results.

Detroit Red Wings
(6) Lucas Raymond, RW/LW
(32) Lukas Reichel, LW/C
(35) Brendan Brisson, C
(51) Vasili Ponomaryov, C
(56) Theodor Niederbach, C
(58) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(63) Tyler Kleven, LD
(65) Alexander Pashin, RW
(113) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, LW
(125) Artur Akhtyamov, G
(156) Daniil Zaitsev, LD
(187) Daniel Baker, LD

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Detroit Red Wings
(3) Tim Stutzle, C
(15) Kaiden Guhle, LD
(32) Tyson Foerster, C
(51) Helge Grans, RD
(58) Roby Jarventie, LW
(63) Joel Blomqvist, G
(65) Owen Pederson, LW
(113) Rhett Rhinehart, RD
(125) Alex Cotton, RD
(156) Yegor Sokolov, LW
(192) Lucas Mercuri, C
#NHLDraft draftsim

Traded first for Jersey's 3'd and 15th

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Catch of the day. I didn't like dropping to four, but liked everything that came after it. I think this is the first time I landed Kuzetsov who I really like.

(4) Lucas Raymond, RW/LW
(32) William Wallinder, LD
(51) Yan Kuznetsov, LD
(58) Ty Smilanic, C
(63) Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW
(65) Jaromir Pytlik, C
(113) Tristen Robins, C
(125) Calle Clang, G
(156) Daniel Ljungman, C
(187) Victor Mancini, RD

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Daily Sim (boy I loved how this one played out)(not sure how Stutzle was there at 4... I left all settings as is)

4- Tim Stutzle, C
32- Jacob Perrault, C/RW
51- Helge Grans, RD
58- Ridly Greig, LW
63- Ty Smilanic, C
65- Alexander Pashin, RW
113- Ethan Cardwell, C
125- Ethan Edwards, LD
156- Artur Akhtyamov, G
187- Declan Carlile, LD

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
There’s also a very real possibility Stutzle is still there
Honestly if I spoke to the 2nd/3rd OA teams and felt confident that Stutzle (or Byfield) would be on the board at 4, I'd trade 1st OA for 4+5 without a second thought. I think then you're ultimately getting a player nearly as good as Lafreniere, just delayed and at a better position, and a second blue chip prospect.

Honestly because of our center vs winger depth I'd find Stutzle and Byfield tempting at 1st OA- I'd take Laf because he's definitely the best prospect, but I'd be reluctant passing up the centers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly if I spoke to the 2nd/3rd OA teams and felt confident that Stutzle (or Byfield) would be on the board at 4, I'd trade 1st OA for 4+5 without a second thought. I think then you're ultimately getting a player nearly as good as Lafreniere, just delayed and at a better position, and a second blue chip prospect.

Honestly because of our center vs winger depth I'd find Stutzle and Byfield tempting at 1st OA- I'd take Laf because he's definitely the best prospect, but I'd be reluctant passing up the centers.

Wait until you see what Lafreniere does as a rookie.

Reactions: mantha39

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Wait until you see what Lafreniere does as a rookie.

I don't think I'm any lower on Laf than most around here. I totally expect him to be a first line winger from day 1. His hands and IQ are absolutely elite. The way he can maintain control of the puck even when someone puts tremendous body pressure on him is going to give him that Crosby "this is my puck and there's nothing anyone can do about it" quality. Furthermore his projection feels so certain with his skating being the only area I think he'll need to improve to be one of the premier players in the league. He can be that winger that you run your offense through like Kane. Next season would be so much more watchable with him on the ice, and I can't discount how nice it would be to actually enjoy the games. With Zadina and Seider likely stepping in too, it would be super exciting tuning in even if we're losing a lot anyway.

I just am really high on Stutzle and Byfield too- probably higher on Stutzle than most- and willing to accept a slower pace to the rebuild. I think that they will be similarly elite in a few years. Byfield's hands, skating and size are special. And I love the way Stutzle plays the game; every time I watch him I walk away wanting him more. The way he can evade pressure with his acceleration and agility is amazing and I can just imagine him picking up the puck in our slot and getting it past the other blue line every time. With our stable of strong wingers, I think both Byfield and Stutzle could transport the puck up ice and run a high quality first line. Getting Raymond or Drysdale as well as either is too tempting for me. We'd be adding two players more talented than anyone in the organization IMO.

But yeah Laf's going to be great and he feels really safe. About as safe a projection as you can have so if we get 1st OA; I wouldn't blame Yzerman one bit if he turned down even a combination of 2nd and 3rd OA for him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think I'm any lower on Laf than most around here. I totally expect him to be a first line winger from day 1. His hands and IQ are absolutely elite. The way he can maintain control of the puck even when someone puts tremendous body pressure on him is going to give him that Crosby "this is my puck and there's nothing anyone can do about it" quality. Furthermore his projection feels so certain with his skating being the only area I think he'll need to improve to be one of the premier players in the league. He can be that winger that you run your offense through like Kane. Next season would be so much more watchable with him on the ice, and I can't discount how nice it would be to actually enjoy the games. With Zadina and Seider likely stepping in too, it would be super exciting tuning in even if we're losing a lot anyway.

I just am really high on Stutzle and Byfield too- probably higher on Stutzle than most- and willing to accept a slower pace to the rebuild. I think that they will be similarly elite in a few years. Byfield's hands, skating and size are special. And I love the way Stutzle plays the game; every time I watch him I walk away wanting him more. The way he can evade pressure with his acceleration and agility is amazing and I can just imagine him picking up the puck in our slot and getting it past the other blue line every time. With our stable of strong wingers, I think both Byfield and Stutzle could transport the puck up ice and run a high quality first line. Getting Raymond or Drysdale as well as either is too tempting for me. We'd be adding two players more talented than anyone in the organization IMO.

But yeah Laf's going to be great and he feels really safe. About as safe a projection as you can have so if we get 1st OA; I wouldn't blame Yzerman one bit if he turned down even a combination of 2nd and 3rd OA for him.

I think there is a reason that despite being a winger Lafreniere is the run-away #1 guy this year for scouts. Like... emphatically #1 for the most part. That's not easy to do as a winger.

If you like Stutzle, I think you should like Lafreniere quite a lot. His creativity and skill is so evident. They just go about it in different ways... speed game vs power game. Lafreniere and Zadina would be lethal, especially with an elite skater like Larkin in between them. Lafreniere and Mantha would be lethal. Lafreniere is going to make whatever 2 guys you put with him significantly better, I have very little doubt about that.

Top 3 picks don't really get traded, so I don't think you will have to worry about all those hypothetical scenarios people are tossing around.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think there is a reason that despite being a winger Lafreniere is the run-away #1 guy this year for scouts. Like... emphatically #1 for the most part. That's not easy to do as a winger.

If you like Stutzle, I think you should like Lafreniere quite a lot. His creativity and skill is so evident. They just go about it in different ways... speed game vs power game. Lafreniere and Zadina would be lethal, especially with an elite skater like Larkin in between them. Lafreniere and Mantha would be lethal. Lafreniere is going to make whatever 2 guys you put with him significantly better, I have very little doubt about that.

Top 3 picks don't really get traded, so I don't think you will have to worry about all those hypothetical scenarios people are tossing around.

Just for the hell of it I would open the season with

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Lafreniere-Veleno-Zadina

Big contingency on a massive offseason for Veleno. But I think a trial by fire might work for him if only because you could surround him with two quality top 6 forwards, and really allow him to get comfortable with the defensive and support responsibilities that will likely be the avenue he excels in as a pro. Plus the familiarity between Veleno and Zadina, and Veleno and Lafreniere, could be a easy transition for all of them.

And you could just as easily swap Mantha and Zadina or Bertuzzi and Lafreniere if you want a more seasoned vet on the ice.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
DJj8nMr

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Absolutely, 1st OA picks never get traded and I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if we passed up a chance at Lafreniere. He's so obviously special.

A big part of the appeal of all three of the top forwards in this draft is how well I think they'd compliment what we have already. They all can transport the puck so effectively and are great at finding their teammates in soft spots- each with their own style, but each so very effectively. Lafreniere's strength, hands and vision make him so hard to strip the puck from that he can just walk through pressure like it's nothing, and knows exactly who to set up. Byfield and Stutzle both rely more heavily on their speed game to outrun pressure while using their hands to beat guys one-on-one that they can't evade- Stutzle being the more evasive agile skater while Byfield's game is more powerful and straightforward. I think any of them can elevate/be elevated by Zadina to form a dynamic duo and pull one of our more pedestrian forwards up the lineup the same way Larkin and Mantha have for Lil Bert.

Lafreniere- Veleno- Zadina would be an awesome line even if Veleno is more of a middle 6 center because his skating, defense and passing would compliment the other two so well. They could be that line that always have possession. Similarly I can see Rasmussen- Byfield/Stutzle- Zadina being awesome even if once again Rasmussen is more of a bottom 6 + PP player. Byfield/Stutzle and Zadina can pass the puck around in the O zone after the C gets it there. Zadina can try to bury pucks and Ras can play pigeon like he's on a PP. I don't think this line would be as dominant possessing the puck, but it could be even more dynamic at actually burying it once it's in the O zone. Maybe I am just still trying to see the bright side of the Ras pick though.

Of course a Laf-Larkin-Zadina or Mantha-Byfield/Stutzle- Zadina super line may be even better, but I think we could have two legit first lines if we land a top 3 pick this year and keep MLB together, and that appeals to me tremendously.

Reactions: mantha39

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Absolutely, 1st OA picks never get traded and I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if we passed up a chance at Lafreniere.
it's rare, but it's not never. i remember two quite clearly columbus and florida making a deal back in 2002. the following year, pittsburgh and florida made a similar deal. granted, those were nearly twenty years ago, but it's not unprecedented.

and if rumours are true that stuetzle is #1 on yzerman's board, then i could see him trading down to #3.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
trade up 51 and 63 for 36 with Ducks
3. Stutzle C
32. Peterka RW
36. Reichel LW/C
58 Kleven LD
65 Benning RD Has similar numbers with Makar

PuckeDRW

Jun 13, 2020
trade down Detroit #4 for Minnesota #12 , 23, 42. Got from it