Draft Simulator Thread

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
4-Lucas Raymond, LW/RW
32-Brendan Brisson, C
45-Vasili Ponomaryov, C
58-Ridly Greig, LW (I think he has a good skill set to play C... will see if they use him there next yr)
63-Roby Jarventie, LW
65-Nico Daws, G
107-Ronan Seeley, LD
125-Ethan Edwards, LD
156-Connor McClennon, RW
187-Matthew Gleason, C

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Detroit Red Wings
(4) Jake Sanderson, LD
(32) Marat Khusnutdinov, C
(45) Ty Smilanic, C
(55) Yan Kuznetsov, LD
(62) Nico Daws, G
(64) Theodor Niederbach, C
(106) Cross Hanas, LW
(124) Samuel Johannesson, RD
(155) Viktor Persson, RD
(186) Mason Langenbrunner, RD

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Detroit Red Wings
(4) Jake Sanderson, LD
(32) Seth Jarvis, RW
(45) Vasili Ponomaryov, C
(55) Luke Evangelista, RW
(62) Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
(64) Ronan Seeley, LD
(106) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, LW
(124) Cross Hanas, LW
(155) Viktor Persson, RD
(186) Dmitri Zlodeyev, C

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
... We get it MBH, you LOVE Sanderson :laugh:
XTCZnTV.png

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
... We get it MBH, you LOVE Sanderson :laugh:

I'm not sure which of my love for Rossi or MBH's love for Sanderson is stronger :laugh:

Detroit Red Wings
(4) Jake Sanderson, LD
(32) Seth Jarvis, RW
(45) Vasili Ponomaryov, C
(55) Luke Evangelista, RW
(62) Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
(64) Ronan Seeley, LD
(106) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, LW
(124) Cross Hanas, LW
(155) Viktor Persson, RD
(186) Dmitri Zlodeyev, C

Aside from the first pick I like this draft. You got Jarvis at 32, Torgersson at 62, and Ovchinnikov at 106. Those 3 are some of my favorites for this years draft.

Detroit Red Wings
(4) Marco Rossi, C
(32) Mavrik Bourque, C
(45) Anton Johannesson, D
(55) Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
(62) Alexander Pashin, RW
(64) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, C/LW
(106) Samuel Knazko, D
(124) Jacob Dion, D
(155) Nick Malik, G
(186) Benjamin Baumgartner, C

I went a little early on the selections of Johannesson and Ovchinnikov, but I felt like they may not be there later on so I'd rather take them a little early. I really like Johannesson and he's been moving up my personal board for a while now. I also really like Baumgartner. I think he may be one of the best OA available in this years draft and I wouldn't hesitate to take him from round 3 and onward.

Reactions: MBH

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Max Bultman's article today explores the Wings picking Sanderson (essentially) over Drysdale.
Says he can at some point provide the same impact as someone like Ryan McDonagh.
It's a solid summary just like several that we've seen here. Just not my personal preference.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm not sure which of my love for Rossi or MBH's love for Sanderson is stronger :laugh:

Aside from the first pick I like this draft. You got Jarvis at 32, Torgersson at 62, and Ovchinnikov at 106. Those 3 are some of my favorites for this years draft.

Detroit Red Wings
(4) Marco Rossi, C
(32) Mavrik Bourque, C
(45) Anton Johannesson, D
(55) Daniel Torgersson, LW/RW
(62) Alexander Pashin, RW
(64) Dmitri Ovchinnikov, C/LW
(106) Samuel Knazko, D
(124) Jacob Dion, D
(155) Nick Malik, G
(186) Benjamin Baumgartner, C

I went a little early on the selections of Johannesson and Ovchinnikov, but I felt like they may not be there later on so I'd rather take them a little early. I really like Johannesson and he's been moving up my personal board for a while now. I also really like Baumgartner. I think he may be one of the best OA available in this years draft and I wouldn't hesitate to take him from round 3 and onward.

Never even heard of Baumgartner. Interesting.
Why do you like Malik? Those OHL starts are kind of woof.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Max Bultman's article today explores the Wings picking Sanderson (essentially) over Drysdale.
Says he can at some point provide the same impact as someone like Ryan McDonagh.
It's a solid summary just like several that we've seen here. Just not my personal preference.

I think McDonagh is the floor. People are sleeping hard on his offensive potential. He's got all the tools.
Bultman quoting Pronman's comparison of Perfetti to Point....seems crazy. Point is a high, high motor guy. Perfetti is not.I'm not a fan of Rossi, but if you want a guy who has a chance to be Point, you take Marco Rossi, not Perfetti.

Sanderson might only have a 40-50 point ceiling (which is probably higher than Seider's).
But in some ways, that's going to help.
Imagine using Seider/Sanderson 25 minutes a game each.

Now ask yourself this.
How much is Sanderson at 40 points going to cost you on his second deal?
Or Seider at 30 points?
vs.
Makar or Hughes at 70 points.

Those guys are going to get $9-10M minimum.

If you can draft high-level but perhaps not high-stat guys, doesn't that give you the opportunity to build and perhaps maintain a core?

I don't remember Stevie being anywhere within earshot of the cup when he scored 65 goals.
I don't remember Fedorov winning the cup during his 100-point seasons.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Not the guy you quoted but that Soo team was not doing Malik any favors when he came over. He picked a bad time to come over to NA (pretty close the trade deadline). Young/Bad Soo team mixed with the fact that he played SAG x3, Flint x2, SUD x2, OTT, KIT, LDN, PETE was not a recipe for success. 11/16 games he never really had a chance. Still had a handful of good showings against those teams though.

This year however, the Soo is going to probably be the best team in the West. He numbers are going to be much more reflective of his potential this season.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
4: Jake Sanderson D
32: Justin Barron D
45: Marat Khusnutdinov C
55: Lukas Cormier D
62: Joni Jurmo D
64: Vasili Ponomaryov C
106 Drew Commesso G
124: Dmitri Ovchinnikov LW
155: Gunnarwolfe Fontaine C
186: Gage Goncalves C

i admittedly haven't put in any effort to know this years prospects so if you think i'm dumb, awesome.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Detroit Red Wings
(4) Tim Stutzle, C
(32) Tyson Foerster, C
(45) Thomas Bordeleau, C
(55) Joni Jurmo, LD
(62) Daniil Gushchin, RW
(64) Brock Faber, RD
(106) Samuel Knazko, LD
(124) Ronan Seeley, LD
(155) Maxim Beryozkin, LW
(186) Victor Mancini, RD

Kings took Drysdale at 2 :naughty:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think McDonagh is the floor. People are sleeping hard on his offensive potential. He's got all the tools.
Bultman quoting Pronman's comparison of Perfetti to Point....seems crazy. Point is a high, high motor guy. Perfetti is not.I'm not a fan of Rossi, but if you want a guy who has a chance to be Point, you take Marco Rossi, not Perfetti.

Sanderson might only have a 40-50 point ceiling (which is probably higher than Seider's).
But in some ways, that's going to help.
Imagine using Seider/Sanderson 25 minutes a game each.

Now ask yourself this.
How much is Sanderson at 40 points going to cost you on his second deal?
Or Seider at 30 points?
vs.
Makar or Hughes at 70 points.

Those guys are going to get $9-10M minimum.

If you can draft high-level but perhaps not high-stat guys, doesn't that give you the opportunity to build and perhaps maintain a core?

I don't remember Stevie being anywhere within earshot of the cup when he scored 65 goals.
I don't remember Fedorov winning the cup during his 100-point seasons.

so, what will be the leading point total on the blueline and how little are you expecting to pay them?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
4) Jamie Drysdale D
32) Lukas Reichel LW/C
45) Anton Johannesson, D
55) Theodor Niederbach, C
62) Jaromir Pytlik, C
64) Luke Tuch, LW
106) Calle Clang, G
124) Juuso Maenpaa, C
155) Maximilian Glotzl, D
186) Maxim Beryozkin, LW

Pretty happy getting Drysdale and Reichel. Of course would prefer Stutzle or Byfield if they fall, but it's either Drysdale or Raymond at 4 for me. I'm also happy and surprised to get Johannesson, Niederbach, Pytlik and Tuch where I did. The rest I don't really know that well.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Baugmartner is in his D+2 season and just had an extremely productive season in the NLA. He's on the smaller side at 5'9", but he really came into his own this season. He was a play driver on his team and was able to work his way up the lineup that was full of some former NHLers. I'm not sure he's much more of a very good AHLer, but I think he has what it takes to be a middle six forward. He's also the type of player I'd love to take a swing on in the later parts of the draft. I think of recent players to develop out of the NLA he's similar to Pius Suter. Here's an in-depth scouting report on him.

I took Malik as a token goalie selection. I think he was fine in international tournaments and his body of play over the past 2 years in the Czech league makes me think there's something there. You could sub in any goalie and I'd be okay with it, he was just the one that I liked the most at this point in the draft.

Reactions: Killerjas

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
the sheer number of times i've seen you guys draft jarvis or reichel with our 32nd pick gives me very little confidence in this simulator. i realize that i'm a bit higher on those guys than most, but they're both going top 20 at worst.

i hope this app is updated post-draft to incorporate actual picks (i doubt it, but it'd be fun), so we can redraft with options that are legitimately available.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
the sheer number of times i've seen you guys draft jarvis or reichel with our 32nd pick gives me very little confidence in this simulator. i realize that i'm a bit higher on those guys than most, but they're both going top 20 at worst.

i hope this app is updated post-draft to incorporate actual picks (i doubt it, but it'd be fun), so we can redraft with options that are legitimately available.

It was updated with Bob’s list, which you would think would help, and I have a feeling people are using it without adjusting settings. I know the time or two I’ve looked at it, ratcheting down the randomness factor made a big difference in the major outliers.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink

when you run it switching it to mckenzie's rankings is way better. reichel is 100% always available at 32 with the other rankings which is not realistic

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
It was updated with Bob’s list, which you would think would help, and I have a feeling people are using it without adjusting settings. I know the time or two I’ve looked at it, ratcheting down the randomness factor made a big difference in the major outliers.

I had no idea you could even change the rankings it was based on. I made the switch and moved the "Team Needs" part up about an extra 10% and this is what I got:

(4) Quinton Byfield, C
(32) Jan Mysak, C/W
(45) Sam Colangelo, W
(55) Emil Andrae, D
(62) Zion Nybeck, RW
(64) Alexander Pashin, RW
(106) Tristen Robins, C
(124) Pavel Novak, W
(155) Samuel Johannesson, D
(186) Benjamin Baumgartner, C/W

LA took Stutzle at #2 and the Sens took Drysdale at #3. I was quite shocked to see Byfield there at 4 as I didn't think turning the "Need" factor up that much would really cause an huge shift at the top of the draft.

Overall I think I was more happy with this draft than any of my other ones. I was able to draft about 8 players that were in my personal top 60-70 and then was able to get two of the better overagers with back to back picks. I was really happy to be able to get Mysak, Andrae, Nybeck, Robins, and Novak where I did. I didn't take a goalie in this one, but I figure we could sign someone from the MHL/VHL/KHL like the Sharks did with Alexei Melnichuk.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
LOL.
Can you imagine?
Like, everything just fell into place.
Detroit Red Wings
(4) Tim Stutzle, C
(32) Lukas Reichel, LW/C
(45) Ryan O'Rourke, LD
(55) Ridly Greig, LW
(62) Drew Commesso, G
(64) Luke Evangelista, RW
(106) Tristen Robins, C
(124) Ronan Seeley, LD
(155) Samuel Johannesson, RD
(186) Viktor Persson, RD
#NHLDraft draftsim
That's a complete coup, would love that draft.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
So I bumped up the randomness and team needs and got the actual dream...

4. Byfield, C
32. Reichel LW/C
33. Perreault C
55. Andrae LD
64. Ovchinnikov LW
94. Robins C
106. Blomqvist G
124. Novak RW
155. Levi G

When I saw both Reichel and Perreault sitting there at 32 I knew I had to walk away with both of them. Traded 45+62+186 for 33+94 and I would do that deal again in a heart beat. I also really like every single other pick I was able to make, but it almost doesn't matter when you're first three picks are so good.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
so, what will be the leading point total on the blueline and how little are you expecting to pay them?

Ryan Suter never broke 50 points before he signed his $100 million dollar deal.

These NHL GMs and team cap experts aren't idiots who only dial up point values like they are the AI in a hockey video game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad