Speculation: Draft Pick Watch/Lottery Tracker 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
Close game. I was afraid they'd tie the game, but got zero points.

Hopefully they're too tired from playing back-to-back to compete against an Oilers team without McDavid, but I doubt they lose tomorrow.

I may seem like a villain, but the current roster isn't capable of a deep playoff run, and even trying to get there is going to result in us missing or getting swept by Winnipeg in the first round in case the team miraculously takes the second wild card slot. If BM had any intentions of salvaging the season, he should have done so during the 12 game losing streak. Now it's too late. There are a handful of potential #1 centers available in the draft, and I'd much rather get one of those than pick 12-15th or whatever. Honestly, they should have just kept Carlyle. The team showed that the coach didn't completely break them and have been playing some competent hockey since the coaching change, so it's not like they couldn't have recovered next season if Carlyle was let go during the summer.

This just makes it look like the owners demanded a playoff spot and forced BM to make the change, but it was too late. The teams fighting for the wild card spots keep winning, and a playoff showing is highly unlikely at this point.

On another note, if the Oilers end up getting Hughes I'm going to be pissed.

Last edited:

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Yes!!! Thought they'd tie the game, but got zero points.

Hopefully they're too tired from playing back-to-back to compete against an Oilers team without McDavid, but I doubt they lose tomorrow.
Our convo got deleted but I just want to say that I completely understand this sentiment. I've even posted a tank pic somewhere myself. And if we won't make the playoffs, the next best thing is to be as close to the bottom as possible. I was just disappointed and grumpy after a loss, and in that state of mind seeing someone celebrating the loss in the GDT almost feels like opposing fans coming to gloat on our boards. I hope you understand. In short: :ipeace

Reactions: ohcomeonref

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
Our convo got deleted but I just want to say that I completely understand this sentiment. I've even posted a tank pic somewhere myself. And if we won't make the playoffs, the next best thing is to be as close to the bottom as possible. I was just disappointed and grumpy after a loss, and in that state of mind seeing someone celebrating the loss in the GDT almost feels like opposing fans coming to gloat on our boards. I hope you understand. In short: :ipeace

Honestly, I've had trouble getting excited even after wins this season. The team just wasn't fun to watch. Now that they're showing some heart, it sucks seeing them fall short. But if this season was going to be saved, Carlyle should have been fired a long time ago. I don't see the playoffs as a legitimate possibility at this point, so in my mind it's better to just finish low in the standings and secure our next franchise center.

But yeah. At home, I'm actively rooting against them. I don't think it makes me a bad fan because I'm trying to think long-term (which is why I was against Carlyle being fired so late into the season), but I understand how it would be annoying for other fans when I actively cheer against them on the team's board. I'll keep that attitude in this thread or to myself from now on. :)

Last edited:

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Honestly, I've had trouble getting excited even after wins this season. The team just wasn't fun to watch. Now that they're showing some heart, it sucks seeing them fall short. But if this season was going to be saved, Carlyle should have been fired a long time ago. I don't see the playoffs as a legitimate possibility at this point, so in my mind it's better to just finish low in the standings and secure our next franchise center.

But yeah. At home, I'm actively rooting against them. I don't think it makes me a bad fan because I'm trying to think long-term (which is why I was against Carlyle being fired so late into the season), but I understand how it would be annoying for other fans when I actively cheer against them on the team's board. I'll keep that attitude in this thread or to myself from now on. :)
I agree with a lot of this, especially the Carlyle part. I wanted him gone, but that didn't happen when it should have. Then I wanted him to stay because it looked like we were headed for a very high pick. Made sense with how Murray said he didn't see the team as a contender & had highlighted how teams are better off getting high picks as opposed to being a fringe playoff team. But then...he fired Carlyle and the team started to play hockey again. And we were just three points out of a playoff spot so I started to have hope again. Maybe a fool's hope, but there it is. But we really needed a good win streak, though, and the Calgary game was very winnable even without Getzlaf. But...with Minny winning again, that loss signified the end of playoff hopes for me. So, um...carry on, I guess. :)

Reactions: PrototypeX85

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
I agree with a lot of this, especially the Carlyle part. I wanted him gone, but that didn't happen when it should have. Then I wanted him to stay because it looked like we were headed for a very high pick. Made sense with how Murray said he didn't see the team as a contender & had highlighted how teams are better off getting high picks as opposed to being a fringe playoff team. But then...he fired Carlyle and the team started to play hockey again. And we were just three points out of a playoff spot so I started to have hope again. Maybe a fool's hope, but there it is. But we really needed a good win streak, though, and the Calgary game was very winnable even without Getzlaf. But...with Minny winning again, that loss signified the end of playoff hopes for me. So, um...carry on, I guess. :)

Fair enough. But although its been a crazy season for the conference, around this time of year the teams on the verge of a playoff spot tend to keep winning. The result: As you said, it seems like just a few days ago we were just three points out of a playoff spot. Now we're 7 or 8 back. If this season was going to be salvaged, somewhere in the middle of that twelve game skid would have been a great time to make a coaching change. I sill have no clue how Carlyle survived that. After those 12 games and in he midst of the seven game losing stretch soon after, I changed my mind about wanting Carlyle gone.

It sucks now though. The team is actually playing well, and an earlier coaching change could have saved the season. I just don't want to pick any higher than 5-6 or so at this point, but at the same time I feel like certain players from the team's core have too much pride to just let the season slip away without making a serious playoff push. Getzlaf, for instance, doesn't seem like someone that would settle for missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
We need kings to start winning some fricken games. They are 5 Pts behind us.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
From the looks of it, we’re not going to get caught by anyone behind us. Maybe one team at most. But at the same time, the teams ahead of us are starting to put some distance on us as well. I would say we’re a fair certainty to finish with between the 6th and 10th worst record.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
All of the teams currently below us either have already or about to take much bigger hits to their roster than we are. Oilers will be losing Chiasson, Kings lost Muzzin and might lose someone else in the next couple days, Wings have moved out Jensen and Nyquist/Howard might be next. Devils traded Rev and will also be trading Mojo, and the Sens have their whole deal. The only way we finish lower than these teams is if we trade Miller, shut Gibson down for the season, and ride Johnson/Boyle but that isn't happening.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We lost the best goalie in the league for now

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I believe the Ducks can catch NJ, NJ has 9 points in its last 10 games, Ducks have 6 points in its last 10 games. Considering Montour is gone, Sprong is still scratched and may be traded or another winger is traded & Gibson still isn't playing that means they could gain some ground on NJ who have only 1 less point in same amount of games played.

If they finish with 4th worst record & managed to keep the 4th overall pick after the draft lottery a well as STL Pick finishing exactly at #20 then this could be what they do:
#4 The Ducks select Dach or Turcotte, i lean towards Dach being picked cause Murray doesn't care about elite skating as much as other GMs.
#20 Moritz Seider RHD - German Josh Manson with more offensive upside.
He could actually be BPA at that spot so it wouldn't be a reach at all.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
4th overall looks like the Cozens, Dach or Byram pick. Our luck the Lottery drops the Ducks to 6th overall & Turcotte is probably picked at #5.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
4575486798978.png

Hughes would probably retire from Hockey if this happens.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
McDavid-Hughes would be quite a threat. They would still lack the necessary depth and their D and goaltending would suck as always.

Exciting to have another pick for this draft, I wouldn't mind turning it into two second rounders if there's trade possibility. Depending who is available when it's Ducks' turn to draft again Moritz Seider would be a nice if he's available.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
No matter whom we draft, there will be a huge disappointment on this board ;-)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
No matter whom we draft, there will be a huge disappointment on this board ;-)

That's really why I stopped paying attention to draft prospects. No sense reading up and coveting guys only to be disappointed when the team doesn't pick them and almost always wrong. 2013 might've been the last one, and I remember specifically hoping we wouldn't take Theodore. Oops.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Really? How so?

Most of the prospect threads, especially higher picks, are mostly positive and nowhere near filled with disappointment, let alone huge disappointment.

Take a look for yourself: Anaheim Ducks - threads containing "Prospect info" prefix.

This year we have a high pick and people are focussing on Dach/Cozens a lot. Not sure they are what the Ducks are looking for. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad