GDT: Draft Lottery

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
We weren't even close. That's amazing. Finish second and not even be close to getting the number one pick. Great system.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
It is pretty sad that they don't have a better system then this. Bettman should have seen this coming. I figured either the Oilers or L.A. would win because they are the ones that would tick me off the most.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
It is pretty sad that they don't have a better system then this. Bettman should have seen this coming. I figured either the Oilers or L.A. would win because they are the ones that would tick me off the most.

But if we stayed in the Top 2, then no Coyotes Fan would be complaining about the lottery. Instead of all us would be partying like it's 1999.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sorry, we couldn't help you guys out by winning the lottery.

I don't think this is a repost, but if you're curious, the way the draw went, using vcv's simulator, you were eliminated before the fourth ball, where the team odds (5-14-6-#) were: BUF 27.3%, EDM 18.2%, TOR 36.4%, CAR 9.1%, CBJ 9.1%.

Depends on how you define "elimated". That's still a 27.3% chance for Eichel. Not far off the 33.5% at the start of the lottery to land one of McDavid or Eichel.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Wow ... relocation name changes already?

This ****ing blows but it's not the end of the world. Long-term, 1OA isn't always the best player in the draft

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Depends on how you define "elimated". That's still a 27.3% chance for Eichel. Not far off the 33.5% at the start of the lottery to land one of McDavid or Eichel.
I was strictly talking McDavid, but yes, you still a had 27.3% chance at McEichel since our 20/80 split improved to 27.3/73.7.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This ****ing blows but it's not the end of the world. Long-term, 1OA isn't always the best player in the draft

It's not the end of the world, but let's not kid ourselves here. Connor McDavid is the best player in the draft and Eichel's a close second, and everyone else is a few kilometers behind them.

That said, if the franchise is going to relocate without McDavid, then it was going to with him too. Simple as that.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Wow ... relocation name changes already?

Yeah, I was out when my phone went off telling me who won. I just laughed. For those of you who will be leaving us now, goodbye.

(shame we didn't win a couple more games though, eh?) :laugh:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It's not the end of the world, but let's not kid ourselves here. Connor McDavid is the best player in the draft and Eichel's a close second, and everyone else is a few kilometers behind them.

That said, if the franchise is going to relocate without McDavid, then it was going to with him too. Simple as that.

If the owners are planning on relocating, but then McDavid came in, set the league on fire and sold out the building every night, I bet you they would change their mind. Now we just have to hope they genuinely want to stay here, and the Tippett and Maloney don't completely botch this rebuild, which they are entirely capable of doing.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Yeah, I was out when my phone went off telling me who won. I just laughed. For those of you who will be leaving us now, goodbye.

(shame we didn't win a couple more games though, eh?) :laugh:

That, or we could have like, I don't know, lost that one game against Buffalo, in Buffalo. Thanks Moss.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Actually, Sarah Mac tweeted we were one number away in the four-number sequence from winning 1OA.

See post 407, read quote.

As for the team moving: There is absolutely nothing that shows otherwise. We have nothing going for us. A top two pick would have been easy money. A non top two pick? Who cares.

I'd feel better if our owners made a legitimate attempt at bettering this team. We'll see.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
A little something to laugh at: The boys at Miller (I like it with pizza, sue me) need some remedial training on the label machine...

CC7JPrZUUAEJadk.jpg

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Not enough. We would have been tied and owned the tie breaker to get to 29th.

If Dave Moss doesn't score in that game, the Sabres would have had 2 points for a regulation win, and we would have gained 0, instead of us winning in OT and gaining 2 points, and the Sabres gaining 1.

This would have given Buffalo 55 points, and us 54 points, thus securing 30th.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
If Dave Moss doesn't score in that game, the Sabres would have had 2 points for a regulation win, and we would have gained 0, instead of us winning in OT and gaining 2 points, and the Sabres gaining 1.

This would have given Buffalo 55 points, and us 54 points, thus securing 30th.

OK. What are we going to do? Nothing, except cry.

spilled-milk.jpg

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It will never happen. We're just not that lucky. I can pretty much bet, the Oilers are still going to suck, McDavid will sustain some type of injury and the Oilers will win the lottery again next season. It is the way of the hockey world

Also, there will be a big 2 next year as well
Matthews & the Finnish Kid and of course we will lose out on both...it is the Coyote way

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
For as pessimistic as I was going into this, when we got down to 3 teams, I got excited. Then as usual, soul crushing failure. The drink kof choice tonight is something I call **** the oilers. Equal parts vodka, blue powerade, and orange juice. It's not helping yet, because I haven't had enough of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad