Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I've moved on. Draft Strome. Trade some pieces away. Lets see what happens.

I was toying with some line combos:

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Boedker - Sutter (Pitt) - Gagner
Rieder - Kelly (Bos) - Doan
Chipchura - Vitale - Korpikoski

OEL - Murphy
Moore - Stone
Dahlbeck - McQuaid (Bos)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's the one bright side. Clearly this process is on the up and up. Nobody can say it's rigged. Edmonton was the last team in the top 14 the league would've chosen.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB

I've proposed this before and think it would be a good solution. Imagine being able to cheer for your own team to win in those late Buf vs Ari games instead of freaking out when your team stubbornly wins in OT, destroying your future. I do think it's a little complex for casual fans, but still think it would be solid.

I've received mixed feedback and some people don't like it. Ultimately I guess nothing will make everyone happy.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
If you want to discourage tanking or at least intentional tanks then the easy solution is that the bottom 5 teams get equal chances of picking number 1. I think this current system is so convoluted, I have tried to explain it to casual followers of the NHL this past week & they all don't get it. Baseball & the NFL don't have this convoluted system. IMO like those other leagues the worst team should get #1 period.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
The problem with the proposed plan is that truly bad teams will struggle to win, even if they get eliminated early.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Disagree with this method 110% and the reason why should be obviously clear for the Coyote fans:

We had to face more teams in the top 8 than anyone else post trade deadline. This is a fact. All 5 of the times that we played Edmonton occurred before Dec. 23rd, as an example. Unless the NHL could guarantee that games after elimination were equally balanced, certain teams would be slighted. Likewise, what happens if a team is eliminated on the second to last day (game) of the season. That team then wins their last game, basically meaning that they have a 100% winning percentage after being eliminated. Would they get additional ping pong balls as a result?

Best suggestion:
Take the points percentage of all non-playoff teams faced and weight at 75%. Team with the lowest score clearly did their worst against "like" teams that were not making the playoffs and therefore should have the most to gain in the draft lottery.

The remaining 25% weight should count for wins against final point totals of opponents (i.e. if your remaining wins came against teams with 94 points more often than teams with 105 points, that would lead me to believe that the team was not trying as hard against the "big boys" and may be more likely to tank). Or something where you look at the stats going through the year. As an example, the Coyotes had a higher percentage of wins when leading after 2 periods than the Sabres. So once, the team got the lead, they were less likely to blow it in the sense of tanking. Therefore, you get rewarded for that.

A lot of what-ifs, but ultimately the thing that bugs me is people using this idea that the Coyotes tanked their way into the 29th spot for the draft. We had a top 10 power play, a face-off percentage within the top 10, and a higher percentage of wins after trailing/leading after the first period or leading after the second period than a lot of our counterparts. Those don't speak to tanking.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Here's a message I see as being told the Coyotes Fans are stupid.

I think that's a pretty pessimistic way of looking at it. I think he's just trying to reassure everyone that there's still some incredible prospects after the coveted top two in this draft, and while it sucks we got screwed over (especially considering the team that screwed us over...), we're still getting someone very good.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He's right. Strome or whoever gets picked 3OA is instantly our best rated prospect. Better than Domi, Perlini, Hank, Dvorak, etc.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He's right. Strome or whoever gets picked 3OA is instantly our best rated prospect. Better than Domi, Perlini, Hank, Dvorak, etc.

I agree. We're going to get one great player. Whether its Strome, Marner or Hannifin. They may not play for us next year, but when they come around and develop, they're going to be a great player for us.

Then we're gonna trade them for a second round pick. :laugh:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I think that's a pretty pessimistic way of looking at it. I think he's just trying to reassure everyone that there's still some incredible prospects after the coveted top two in this draft, and while it sucks we got screwed over (especially considering the team that screwed us over...), we're still getting someone very good.

I agree. We're going to get one great player. Whether its Strome, Marner or Hannifin. They may not play for us next year, but when they come around and develop, they're going to be a great player for us.

Then we're gonna trade them for a second round pick. :laugh:

1st, he was inaccurate on how the Coyotes Fans were feeling overall once the news broke. 2nd, he said "they shouldn't be". WTF is he smoking? :loony: 3rd, What? Add another player who won't be NHL ready for us in the draft? :laugh:

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Google "McDaigle" and you'll get your share of hits. That sounds like sour grapes, and to a degree, it absolutely is; and yet... we don't know how any of these guys will turn out, in the end.

EDIT: I was wrong. Googling "McDaigle" apparently leads to persons who have nothing to do with our situation. Under no circumstances should these McDaigles be held responsible for what has taken place.

But I mean, I've seen "McDaigle" thrown around somewhere. Honest. Why would I lie?

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Google "McDaigle" and you'll get your share of hits. That sounds like sour grapes, and to a degree, it absolutely is; and yet... we don't know how any of these guys will turn out, in the end.

EDIT: I was wrong. Googling "McDaigle" apparently leads to persons who have nothing to do with our situation. Under no circumstances should these McDaigles be held responsible for what has taken place.

But I mean, I've seen "McDaigle" thrown around somewhere. Honest. Why would I lie?

Honestly, I wish nothing but good things for Mcdavid. He's going to be a great player and it's not his fault he's part of such a ****** organization (just to clarify, I mean the management). There's no question he's devastated. Now he has to play for an owner who's trying to move his major junior team and a creep. I feel equally bad for Eichel for having to play for Murray whose quote after the lottery was "There are 29 disappointed teams right now". Murray has absolutely no respect for Eichel. I'm actually proud Leblanc was classier and said we still have a great pick and there are still great players.

euro

Feb 13, 2013
I've moved on. Draft Strome. Trade some pieces away. Lets see what happens.

I was toying with some line combos:

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Boedker - Sutter (Pitt) - Gagner
Rieder - Kelly (Bos) - Doan
Chipchura - Vitale - Korpikoski

OEL - Murphy
Moore - Stone
Dahlbeck - McQuaid (Bos)

Saw duclair play a few Time since he is back in the Q and he is not nhl ready. ( yes i know he played 18 games in new-york ok ) 6 pts in 11 game in the playoff, he is very far from a top 6 nhl player .

And ******* the oilers!

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Honestly, I wish nothing but good things for Mcdavid.
Of course, and I should've been more clear. I'm not saying "eff McDavid." I'm saying "eff the miserable excuse for an organization that is already an embarrassment to the NHL, and that could potentially ruin McDavid's career from the the outset."

Yeah, I'm salty. I'm so salty you could throw me on a bag of popcorn and have some left over for... uh... roasted peanuts? Like you get on airplanes? ...

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Saw duclair play a few Time since he is back in the Q and he is not nhl ready. ( yes i know he played 18 games in new-york ok ) 6 pts in 11 game in the playoff, he is very far from a top 6 nhl player .

And ******* the oilers!

He was injured and by all accounts was buzzing in the first series, just couldn't find the back of the net.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I feel sorry for you guys, you should be getting Eichel and we (Oilers) should be getting Hanifin or whoever you guys are picking.

It's actually really embarassing imo for the Oilers to be drafting 1st overall again. They are the biggest joke in the major league north american sports right now as far as I'm concerned.

You should actually feel sorry for Oiler fans tho, getting MacDavid has just sentenced us to another 5 years of MacT. The guys is like a black hole of prospect development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad