GDT: Draft Lottery

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I've always admired the fact that it sort of has worked despite it's obvious flaws, because teams in general aim to win even though losing would be best thing for the franchise. But when teams trade away their best players to lose and have tank wars I'm not sure I think it works very well. This season was a complete disgrace.

Other then Buffalo I think every team entered the season with a roster trying to win as much as possible. Even Edmonton was trying to win, they just have incompetent management assembling, developing and coaching their roster that includes a lot of very talented players. Toronto was the weirdest case in that some of their most talented players seemed to quit on the team--something I don't think happened with any of the other worst lottery teams like BUF, AZ, EDM and CAR.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Ekman-Larsson scored 23 goals and worked his ass off all year.

...and was easily the first star in the game you keep referring to....which is why we won that game, shifting 3 points in the standings...

Moss on the other hand, played like he could have cared less, and for the second year in a row, only played like he even remotely gave a crap, when we were far, far out of the playoff picture.

But he's a good guy, don't forget.

Just wont let it go....:laugh:

Well, fortunately, he probably wont return, but if he does we get treated to another year of incessant whining about him. Whichll be.fun

Last edited:

Bps21*

Buffalo had a better record this year. Arizona and Edmonton had worse.

It's not like they stripped it down for this season. Look at last years Sabres roster compared to this one...this team had actual NHL players on it to start!

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
You guys have the support of 28 franchises, I don't know what to say guys I really wanted you guys to at least get eichel. Guess your only way is if Mcdavid pulls a lindros and that's not happening.

ITS A******* JOKE **** LOEW **** OILERS **** THE NHL AND **** KATZ.

Is their any Ottawa player we can trade you guys , well even gift wrap a 1st . its not much but you guys were screwed over big time.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Watched the lottery at work and literally fell to my knees when the Oiler's card was shown with the gold background. I'm crushed.

I'm beginning to really wonder if sticking by this team though mediocrity and heartbreak will ever be worth it, or if it's going to be a giant waste of time, and end in the ultimate heartbreak in a few years.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
You guys have the support of 28 franchises, I don't know what to say guys I really wanted you guys to at least get eichel. Guess your only way is if Mcdavid pulls a lindros and that's not happening.

ITS A******* JOKE **** LOEW **** OILERS **** THE NHL AND **** KATZ.

Is their any Ottawa player we can trade you guys , well even gift wrap a 1st . its not much but you guys were screwed over big time.

We'd be happy to take Zibanejad off your hands. :)

(Thanks for the condolences)

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If I were DM, I would trade the 3rd OA down to Carolina or Toronto, if either of them REALLY wanted one of Strome/Marner/Hanifan. We still get one of the three "meh" prospects, and an added something.

3rd OA + Gormley to Toronto for 4th OA + Kadri?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If I were DM, I would trade the 3rd OA down to Carolina or Toronto, if either of them REALLY wanted one of Strome/Marner/Hanifan. We still get one of the three "meh" prospects, and an added something.

3rd OA + Gormley to Toronto for 4th OA + Kadri?

I don't know why Kadri would be jettisoned in a Toronto rebuild, but if Shanahan did offer that, gotta consider it.

I think my preferred trade right now is the 3rd OA+ for Reinhart. Yes, Strome is a similar player, but Reinhart's year of development + chemistry with Domi/Duclair should allow for more immediate dividends.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think my preferred trade right now is the 3rd OA+ for Reinhart. Yes, Strome is a similar player, but Reinhart's year of development + chemistry with Domi/Duclair should allow for more immediate dividends.

And marketing. This team desperately needs marketable players and hope you can sell the fans on. That means players that are actually on the NHL roster doing things. Having the entire 1st line of the Canadian WJC team would be huge, on and off the ice.

OilerOlli*

It's sad for you guys, but I think Hanfin is a very good D prospect.
OEL plus Hanfin should be a great D core for you in the next years. And you have good chances to draft high the coming years, too.
You also robbed the Oilers with Rieder for Kessy. ;)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And you have good chances to draft high the coming years, too.

Yeah, as the Nordiques.

"The business boost we would have received had we either moved up or stayed where we were at the second spot, I'm not going to lie, we won't see the bump that I had hoped for in the short-term," LeBlanc said

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I had accepted we were picking #3. Really. But then, like you, I allowed myself some hope. The fact it was the Oilers I think is the fact I'm having a problem with. Had Carolina or NJ or someone won the lotto, I'd have shrugged and said, "it figures". But the Oilers... Just soul-crushing. Like they haven't already had their share of lotto-luck.
could not have said it better.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know why Kadri would be jettisoned in a Toronto rebuild, but if Shanahan did offer that, gotta consider it.

I don't think Reinhart is available, but Grigorenko could be, but not for the 3OA.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I had accepted we were picking #3. Really. But then, like you, I allowed myself some hope. The fact it was the Oilers I think is the fact I'm having a problem with. Had Carolina or NJ or someone won the lotto, I'd have shrugged and said, "it figures". But the Oilers... Just soul-crushing. Like they haven't already had their share of lotto-luck.

Hope is a demon *****.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Buffalo had a better record this year. Arizona and Edmonton had worse.

It's not like they stripped it down for this season. Look at last years Sabres roster compared to this one...this team had actual NHL players on it to start!

And that team still was in 29th or 30th in every major statistical category. At least the Coyotes had a top 10 PP - the one area where I would say that it was clear the team wasn't tanking. After all, if your team was supposed to tank, wouldn't you want them to be abysmal on the only facet of the game where your offense has a pretty distinct advantage?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oilers are going to dangle Yakupov, now that he's on a long term contract, hoping to get a #1D. I hope that nobody bites on that one. He's shown nothing to warrant that kine of return. I'd offer Gormley, maybe.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And that team still was in 29th or 30th in every major statistical category. At least the Coyotes had a top 10 PP - the one area where I would say that it was clear the team wasn't tanking. After all, if your team was supposed to tank, wouldn't you want them to be abysmal on the only facet of the game where your offense has a pretty distinct advantage?

So Newell Brown did his job. That's more than can be said for anyone else other than OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Oilers are going to dangle Yakupov, now that he's on a long term contract, hoping to get a #1D. I hope that nobody bites on that one. He's shown nothing to warrant that kine of return. I'd offer Gormley, maybe.

Your not going to get Yak for Gormley. Yak played very well since Eakins left. He is still a very good talent, much better than Gormley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad