GDT: Draft Lottery

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
For as pessimistic as I was going into this, when we got down to 3 teams, I got excited. Then as usual, soul crushing failure. The drink kof choice tonight is something I call **** the oilers. Equal parts vodka, blue powerade, and orange juice. It's not helping yet, because I haven't had enough of them.

That drink actually sounds pretty good lmao

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Hey guys I know things got pretty heated between our two franchises but I truly wanted you guys to get a McEichel. I hope the Yotes can stay in Arizona because you guys deserve it.

Sorry :(

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I know he has a concussion , but I still want Marner..

Looking at highlights , he has awesome chemistry with Dvorak..

They both seem to have eyes on the back of their heads and know where each other are at all times

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
The draft system where teams get rewarded for sucking was always the thing that annoyed me the most about American sports, and that was before I had this eye-opening experience today. What a joke.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The draft system where teams get rewarded for sucking was always the thing that have annoyed me the most about American sports, and that was before I had this eye-opening experience today. What a joke.

The draft process works. It's the Oilers that are the problem. You're not supposed to spend 5+ years picking at the bottom.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
You misspelled Ekman-Larsson. Badly.

Ekman-Larsson scored 23 goals and worked his ass off all year. Moss on the other hand, played like he could have cared less, and for the second year in a row, only played like he even remotely gave a crap, when we were far, far out of the playoff picture.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ekman-Larsson scored 23 goals and worked his ass off all year. Moss on the other hand, played like he could have cared less, and for the second year in a row, only played like he even remotely gave a crap, when we were far, far out of the playoff picture.

But he's a good guy, don't forget.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
The draft system where teams get rewarded for sucking was always the thing that annoyed me the most about American sports, and that was before I had this eye-opening experience today. What a joke.

It's to create more parity in the league, and it works. Without it you would have just a few teams dominating every year...which seems to be the case a lot of the time in European sports

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
For as pessimistic as I was going into this, when we got down to 3 teams, I got excited. Then as usual, soul crushing failure.

I had accepted we were picking #3. Really. But then, like you, I allowed myself some hope. The fact it was the Oilers I think is the fact I'm having a problem with. Had Carolina or NJ or someone won the lotto, I'd have shrugged and said, "it figures". But the Oilers... Just soul-crushing. Like they haven't already had their share of lotto-luck.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I personally think Marner is the 3rd best player in the draft, but I have a feeling most teams will pick Strome first due to his size advantage.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
It's to create more parity in the league, and it works. Without it you would have just a few teams dominating every year...which seems to be the case a lot of the time in European sports

I get all that. Don't get me wrong, I watch way more American sports than I watch European sports and could list tons of reasons why I choose to do so. This is one of the very few things that annoys me and this day just happened to remind me of that a little bit.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Also the second time we've been screwed in a lottery. Could have had P Kane instead of Kyle Turris.

As a Flyers fan too -- I got to see us lose that lottery, not get Kane as a result, then watch him score the game winner in our barn and hoist the Stanley Cup in our faces.

Draft picks matter. :laugh:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
As a Flyers fan too -- I got to see us lose that lottery, not get Kane as a result, then watch him score the game winner in our barn and hoist the Stanley Cup in our faces.

That's rough.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Ya, but you guys have unlimited money, and don't have the threat of relocation literally constantly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Also the second time we've been screwed in a lottery. Could have had P Kane instead of Kyle Turris.

Not to be a downer, but I suspect Gretzky would have drafted Turris even if we had the 1st overall. Reports the team had him ranked 1st and TGO taking senior team staff to see Turris play during a road trip.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
The draft process works. It's the Oilers that are the problem. You're not supposed to spend 5+ years picking at the bottom.

I've always admired the fact that it sort of has worked despite it's obvious flaws, because teams in general aim to win even though losing would be best thing for the franchise. But when teams trade away their best players to lose and have tank wars I'm not sure I think it works very well. This season was a complete disgrace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->