Draft Lottery Night!!! (Devils win, move up to #4)

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Now that's a reward for actually putting on a run in the second half and not to a team that was content to lose. Well-earned draft reward for the Devils.

I agree with you. At least NJ did something to make you feel like they deserved a reward for their season.

The NHL needs to change the way the draft lottery works. There needs to be some kind of system that gives rewards to non-playoff teams that improve their record from season to season or some other format. For example, a team finishing 28th overall last season improves to 24th overall moving them out of the bottom 5. The team should get some sort of incremental increase to their odds to reward their improvement and divide the decrease in percentage odds amongst teams that have been stagnant/declining and in bottom 10 for at least 2-3 years. Obviously, I'm not saying this is a good system and there are likely all kinds of problems that can come up and different scenarios that would require being addressed.

Point is though, rewarding perennial cellar dwellers is dumb. You've got teams lining up 1st overall and bottom 5 picks for years. The salary cap and revenue sharing has addressed the market disparity in available player spending for teams except for certain extreme circumstances like bankruptcy where even then, teams like Phoenix prove that you can still find ways to win.

I gotta wonder how awkward Taylor Hall felt at that draft party living it up, celebrating another last place season.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He's just the right guy for the Isles - they're solid on forwards,they need to be able to clear the crease, and they can't sighn top free agents. Strome, Huberdeau and Murphy are all high risk; the Isles are in a position where they can take more of a sure solid RD pick.

Hamilton won't be clearing the crease. Hes not that kind of defensemen. If the Islanders are going to go after an a offensive dman I'm sure it'll be Murphy.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Florida is in desperate need of a star forward. Problem with Couturier is I think he will make a great #2C(which is perfect if you have a good #1 guy or star wingers), but I am not sure he is #1C star centerman material which the Panthers desperately need. If I had to think of a perfect match of a player for a team who needs them I think it would be RNH, but he most likely will be gone at 3

Basing it on his performance in 60+ games I think Hamonic is already a good second pairing defenseman with the potential to be a great #2 guy. One thing that makes drafting defensemen so hard early in the first is it's much easier to find good defefensemen then good forwards in the second round(same can't be said for finding forwards int he second round)

That's the problem. No, we are not scouts nor experts on drafting. But, let me ask you this, what made you have the perception that Sean will not be a #1C. What made you think that he won't become a superstar? An offensive threat?

This kid has been playing in the Q since the age of 15 years old and has done everything right in his career. He made the cut for team Canada and played responsibly. The thing is his defensive game is so well rounded that it overshadows his offensive ability and play. But, trust me, if you're not following him in the Q and that you are judging him from his play at the WJC, Sean Couturier has a great offensive flare and could be a very serious PPG player in the NHL. Best comparison: maybe Jordan Staal but more offensive. But a good comparison of one aspect of his game would be a Jagr type puck protection. Sean's main strength is his puck protection ability.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
5th/6th

Niederreiter/Connolly

Brayden Schenn/OEL

Luke Schenn/Nikita Filatov

Karl Alzner/Sam Gagner

Phil Kessel/Derick Brassard

For real. Sure it's a bit upsetting that the NYI & OTT got bumped 1 spot, but it isn't like they aren't going to be getting a really good prospect.

The only thing that really bugs me about moving to 5th is a division rival jumped over the isles.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
Couturier is the perfect player for the devils, and can become a 3rd line center right off the bat, too. They probably should draft a d-man, but I think they can sign one of the big FA defenseman, and be confident with merrill going forward. Zajac-Couturier-Josefson is amazing two-way center depth and all are under 26. I'm jealous of the devils; currently and long-term.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Couturier is the perfect player for the devils, and can become a 3rd line center right off the bat, too. They probably should draft a d-man, but I think they can sign one of the big FA defenseman, and be confident with merrill going forward. Zajac-Couturier-Josefson is amazing two-way center depth and all are under 26. I'm jealous of the devils; currently and long-term.

Don't forget Adam Henrique also.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton

I gotta wonder how awkward Taylor Hall felt at that draft party living it up, celebrating another last place season.

Probably not all that awkward. He knew he was coming into a rebuild and for a rebuilding team a 1st overall pick is probably the most valuable thing you can get.

Edit: I'll admit the streamers would make things a little weird.

Last edited:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I have no idea who they will pick. We'll see where the teams above us go and probably get what is there. Larson vs Couturier/Huberdeau

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I'm not really surprised about Landeskog's accent. Scandinavians overall have the best English accent of any non-native English speakers, just look at Lidstrom, his English is superb.

Well, he has been living in America for quite some time and have had a an A or C several years so he more or less have had to learn English well. It's individual if you keep your accent or not.

SLNP

Gettin' Sykie wit it
Oct 14, 2010
Basking Ridge, NJ
I honestly don't know how this one will go. But the Devils are in need of a stud D-man with puck moving and offensive capabilities. It really all depends on what Edmonton and Colorado pick. Florida will not be picking a D-man if my memory of their prospects serve me correctly.

I say it goes:

EDM: RNH
COL: Landeskog
FLA: Couturier
NJ: Larsson
NYI: Murphy

Eaglepride*

I couldn't be more happy for the Devils. Thanks god a team that GAVE an effort won the lottery. I'd be pissed like hell of some of the tank nation teams would have won it again. I really hoped for the Isles or Devils to win it.

MJB Devils23*

This offseason has the potential to be epic once again! Re-sign Parise, and draft 4th overall! Yes please!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think all 4 teams could end up with excellent fits if the draft goes down as (semi) expected.

Oilers - RNH (get a much needed future #1 C)
Avs - Larsson (they still really need dmen who can play d, even after the EJ trade)
Panthers - Landeskog (they're super short on talented wingers outside of Booth)
Devils - Couturier (potential #1 C)

Re: the Devils in general, if they draft Couturier, and if their young guns like Couturier, Tedenby and Josefson pan out, their potential future forwards could look something like:

Kovalchuk - Couturier - Tedenby
Parise - Zajac - ???
??? - Josefson - Clarkson

That's a potentially awesome young core. Still need to do something about the defense and goaltending though, not much young talent there.

SLNP

Gettin' Sykie wit it
Oct 14, 2010
Basking Ridge, NJ
I think all 4 teams could end up with excellent fits if the draft goes down as (semi) expected.

Oilers - RNH (get a much needed future #1 C)
Avs - Larsson (they still really need dmen who can play d, even after the EJ trade)
Panthers - Landeskog (they're super short on talented wingers outside of Booth)
Devils - Couturier (potential #1 C)

Re: the Devils in general, if they draft Couturier, and if their young guns like Couturier, Tedenby and Josefson pan out, their potential future forwards could look something like:

Kovalchuk - Couturier - Tedenby
Parise - Zajac - ???
??? - Josefson - Clarkson

That's a potentially awesome young core. Still need to do something about the defense and goaltending though, not much young talent there.

We have another center prospect in Henrique who will more than likely make the team next year and be on a line with Josefson, their chemistry was great in the A and he played very well in his debut, although I won't put the cart before the horse on that one.

And I agree with most of this, except for the assumption of our lack of defensive prospects.

Not to be a correcting ass, but our D prospects are not as bad as they are made out to be. Mark Fayne has been a revelation under Lemaire and looks to be a solid 5-6 guy. Matt Taormina was looking great before his ankle injury in the beginning of the season. We don't know what his potential is but if he played well under John ****ing Maclean then who knows what he can do with a competent coach. We have Alex Urbom who will more than likely make the team next year who is a promising 3-4 PMD/Offensive D-man and Jon Merril is coming up and will be with the team within the next 2 years and if he reaches his potential he could easily be a 1-2 D-man, and he seems to be getting better as he gets older. And Volchenkov isn't exactly old.

So while as of right now our D isn't too good, we are are not too far away. If we somehow land Larsson it only makes it that much better.

Our goaltending is an issue, but the way the goalie market is these days finding a #1 guy may not be too hard in free agency depending on our cap situation.

EDIT: Just realized I left out Eric Gelinas, also a good D prospect.

Last edited:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Now that's a reward for actually putting on a run in the second half and not to a team that was content to lose. Well-earned draft reward for the Devils.

What about Ottawa? Fla, Col, Edm....those teams all rolled over to die.

The only difference between Jersey and Ottawa is Jersey had a stacked roster that massively underperformed, including a a player that was signed to an illegal contract. Boy, they sure deserved it more! God know that Ottawa was the team with the 1st ballot HHOF goaltender, the biggest UFA signing in year, etc etc etc etc.

We should still get a fantastic player at 6th, but the options wining would have provided were more desireable. I am still happy Ottawa didnt tank like the Avs did (losing 30 if their last 36:shakehead), but winning the lottery would have been a nice reward for a team that didnt roll over, and didnt under perform to the point of insanity like the Devils did.

Its insane to me that a team like Ottawa, that made the playoffs 11 years straight, fell on hard times, had a season from hell, made moves to improve, did improve, finished 5th last....has a higher chance of moving down in the draft than moving up. That makes no sense.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
What about Ottawa? Fla, Col, Edm....those teams all rolled over to die.

The only difference between Jersey and Ottawa is Jersey had a stacked roster that massively underperformed, including a a player that was signed to an illegal contract. Boy, they sure deserved it more! God know that Ottawa was the team with the 1st ballot HHOF goaltender, the biggest UFA signing in year, etc etc etc etc.

We should still get a fantastic player at 6th, but the options wining would have provided were more desireable. I am still happy Ottawa didnt tank like the Avs did (losing 30 if their last 36:shakehead), but winning the lottery would have been a nice reward for a team that didnt roll over, and didnt under perform to the point of insanity like the Devils did.

Its insane to me that a team like Ottawa, that made the playoffs 11 years straight, fell on hard times, had a season from hell, made moves to improve, did improve, finished 5th last....has a higher chance of moving down in the draft than moving up. That makes no sense.

ILYA-BRYZGALOV-WHY-YOU-HEFT-TO-BE-MAD.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3