Draft Lottery Night!!! (Devils win, move up to #4)

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I think all 4 teams could end up with excellent fits if the draft goes down as (semi) expected.

Oilers - RNH (get a much needed future #1 C)
Avs - Larsson (they still really need dmen who can play d, even after the EJ trade)
Panthers - Landeskog (they're super short on talented wingers outside of Booth)
Devils - Couturier (potential #1 C)

Re: the Devils in general, if they draft Couturier, and if their young guns like Couturier, Tedenby and Josefson pan out, their potential future forwards could look something like:

Kovalchuk - Couturier - Tedenby
Parise - Zajac - ???
??? - Josefson - Clarkson

That's a potentially awesome young core. Still need to do something about the defense and goaltending though, not much young talent there.

Clermont and especially Wedgewood are showing signs of being really solid goalies. But your right as of right now they are too far off to be considered successors.

But with how crappy the goalie market is and how easy a solid goalie seems to be easy to come by I'm sure Lou will find a suitable stop gap when the time comes.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Its insane to me that a team like Ottawa, that made the playoffs 11 years straight, fell on hard times, had a season from hell, made moves to improve, did improve, finished 5th last....has a higher chance of moving down in the draft than moving up. That makes no sense.

So how about you come up with an even semi-objective standard on who is tanking and just losing.

A) It's just sour grapes

B) Ottawa is one of two teams with a known case of tanking.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Love it. Keep on trollin' my Devils. :laugh:

Its itching in my fingers ;), but I can't since the team not tanking to the end won the lottery. They could have layed down and get the 1st overall for sure, but took a run at it instead. They are the moral winners and the de facto winners, credit is were credits due.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Hall - RNH - Hemsky
Eberle - Gagner - MPS

see you at the 2013 Stanley Cup Oilers!
Youngest-team-in-NHL-Future-dynasty.jpg

GM17*

Scott Wedgewood is a Devil and is facing like 40 shots/game with a 92-93% svp

Devils have some goaltending prospects despite what many ppl think.

Jaysfanatic*

What about Ottawa? Fla, Col, Edm....those teams all rolled over to die.

The only difference between Jersey and Ottawa is Jersey had a stacked roster that massively underperformed, including a a player that was signed to an illegal contract. Boy, they sure deserved it more! God know that Ottawa was the team with the 1st ballot HHOF goaltender, the biggest UFA signing in year, etc etc etc etc.

We should still get a fantastic player at 6th, but the options wining would have provided were more desireable. I am still happy Ottawa didnt tank like the Avs did (losing 30 if their last 36:shakehead), but winning the lottery would have been a nice reward for a team that didnt roll over, and didnt under perform to the point of insanity like the Devils did.

Its insane to me that a team like Ottawa, that made the playoffs 11 years straight, fell on hard times, had a season from hell, made moves to improve, did improve, finished 5th last....has a higher chance of moving down in the draft than moving up. That makes no sense.

:biglaugh: seeing this much pain makes me laff. Schadenfreude at its best. :cry:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Wow lucky much. If the avs are really sure the oilers are taking larsson they could set their focus so much on landeskog that they pick him even if the oilers pick rnh. And florida not needing any D would probbs go huber. And the devils could walk away with larsson after originally having the 8th pick lmao

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com
Wow lucky much. If the avs are really sure the oilers are taking larsson they could set their focus so much on landeskog that they pick him even if the oilers pick rnh. And florida not needing any D would probbs go huber. And the devils could walk away with larsson after originally having the 8th pick lmao

You mean that the Avs would focus so much on one player that they'd just simply forget about Larsson?! :D:D:D

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This likely ensures the Devils one of Larsson or Murphy. I think they will sit where they are and take Murphy and run. This is really great for the Devils, as Murphy is something they have lacked for years now -- a true PMD.

Das Uber

Kitten Mittens
Feb 4, 2007
Omicron Persei 8
This likely ensures the Devils one of Larsson or Murphy. I think they will sit where they are and take Murphy and run. This is really great for the Devils, as Murphy is something they have lacked for years now -- a true PMD.

The Devils always take the BPA. I don't think there's any way they take Murphy if one of Couturier, Larsson, RNH, or Landeskog is available.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
The Devils always take the BPA. I don't think there's any way they take Murphy if one of Couturier, Larsson, RNH, or Landeskog is available.

100% correct. The Devs have some good D prospects in Urbom, Merrill, Burlon and Gelinas. It's not like the system is desperate for blueliners. With a pick this high they HAVE to take BPA.

zeus3007*

What about Ottawa? Fla, Col, Edm....those teams all rolled over to die.

The only difference between Jersey and Ottawa is Jersey had a stacked roster that massively underperformed, including a a player that was signed to an illegal contract. Boy, they sure deserved it more! God know that Ottawa was the team with the 1st ballot HHOF goaltender, the biggest UFA signing in year, etc etc etc etc.

We should still get a fantastic player at 6th, but the options wining would have provided were more desireable. I am still happy Ottawa didnt tank like the Avs did (losing 30 if their last 36:shakehead), but winning the lottery would have been a nice reward for a team that didnt roll over, and didnt under perform to the point of insanity like the Devils did.

Ottawa fans should never rag on another team for tanking. Or did you forget Daigle?

I also would love to hear from the "the NHL hates the Devils" conspiracy theorists that were out last summer after the NHL disciplined the Devils for the first Kovalchuk contract.

GM17*

Ottawa fans should never rag on another team for tanking. Or did you forget Daigle?

I also would love to hear from the "the NHL hates the Devils" conspiracy theorists that were out last summer after the NHL disciplined the Devils for the first Kovalchuk contract.

This was a lottery. A game of chance. Determined by gravity.

That was a punishment. Handed down based on human decision making.

Not comparable. In the least (unless you believe the lottery is predetermined which is the only way you can make the comparison)

"If the NHL was against the Devils they'd never put their ballot in" is also nonsense thinking and has no direct tie to a willful punishment of a team.

I don't believe the NHL is out to get the Devils and I highly doubt any Devils fans actually ever did. We're a sarcastic bunch. I do think that comparing the two events is rubbish, though, and that needs to be pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It matters not one iota when a team does or does not get it's points in a season. If by tanking you mean the Avs trading Anderson for Elliot then that would be the only point. Anderson played tremendous for Ottawa. I don't think any team tanked this year and why would a coach get himself closer to being fired?

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
It matters not one iota when a team does or does not get it's points in a season. If by tanking you mean the Avs trading Anderson for Elliot then that would be the only point. Anderson played tremendous for Ottawa. I don't think any team tanked this year and why would a coach get himself closer to being fired?

Coaches and players don't "tank" by intentionally losing. But we know GMs do. Trading Penner who was the only Oilers forward in the top 6 that had size and could score for a 1st made the Oilers a worse team and locked up 1st overall. Colorado trading for Elliot could be considered tanking as well.

zeus3007*

This was a lottery. A game of chance. Determined by gravity.

That was a punishment. Handed down based on human decision making.

Not comparable. In the least (unless you believe the lottery is predetermined which is the only way you can make the comparison)

"If the NHL was against the Devils they'd never put their ballot in" is also nonsense thinking and has no direct tie to a willful punishment of a team.

I don't believe the NHL is out to get the Devils and I highly doubt any Devils fans actually ever did. We're a sarcastic bunch. I do think that comparing the two events is rubbish, though, and that needs to be pointed out.

I would wager that a good number of the ones serious about the NHL's apparent hate for the Devils are the same ones who seriously believe(d) that the NHL rigged the lottery so Crosby went to the Penguins. Its not a big leap.

zeus3007*

Coaches and players don't "tank" by intentionally losing. I know GMs do. Trading Penner who was the only Oilers forward in the top 6 that had size and could score for a 1st made the Oilers a worse team and locked up 1st overall. Colorado trading for Elliot could be considered tanking as well.

I don't see the Oilers trading Penner as a "tank" move. Yes, it made them worse short term, but I think Tambellini's goal was to get another pick and prospect now rather than get less a year from now.

GM17*

I would wager that a good number of the ones serious about the NHL's apparent hate for the Devils are the same ones who seriously believe(d) that the NHL rigged the lottery so Crosby went to the Penguins. Its not a big leap.

Which obviously happened xD :sarcasm:

Sizemore24*

Sean Couturier should be number 1 or 2 depending if you need a D or Fwd. So New Jersey has a good chance of getting the best player in the draft at 4

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00