Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The cream of this entire CHL crop is from the WHL this year. There's a bunch of really solid dmen that'll be available in the middle rounds. Jake Lee is another kid I'm a fan of this year.

Ryan Johnson. Big fan of his. Shea Theodore like player. Skates like a gazelle.

I'll ask about Lee. I've got a connection in Seattle that billets for the Thunderbirds. The family's usually spot on about the kids coming through there.

Speaking of which, there's a funny story I can't post about here. Really humanizes hockey players.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Ryan Johnson. Big fan of his. Shea Theodore like player. Skates like a gazelle.

I'll ask about Lee. I've got a connection in Seattle that billets for the Thunderbirds. The family's usually spot on about the kids coming through there.

Speaking of which, there's a funny story I can't post about here. Really humanizes hockey players.

I live in Seattle. Been to a few Birds games. Lee is a dynamic skater but not the best decision-maker with the puck. He certainly has the tools and physical mold to be a decent defenseman but hockey IQ has ways to go. He reminds me a bit of Cam Fowler stylistically.

I haven’t seen Johnson play as much but he looks like a defensive stud.

Reactions: Lays and Mac n Gs

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I live in Seattle. Been to a few Birds games. Lee is a dynamic skater but not the best decision-maker with the puck. He certainly has the tools and physical mold to be a decent defenseman but hockey IQ has ways to go. He reminds me a bit of Cam Fowler stylistically.

Can you give any opinions on the other draft eligible birds the next two years: mainly Dubicek, Rybinski, Bauer. Thanks !

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Idk about skyrocketing up the charts.... he's between 20 and 30 on most lists right now, where do you think he'll actually get drafted? 15? I think that'd be my guess right now, though there's always a chance of someone going off the board, it's been a long time since we had a Blake wheeler huh? :D
He has a Kyle Connor vibe to me. Underrated because of the league he plays in, then explodes in the NCAA when he gets there. I don't think Brink quite would be a 2 point/game player at Denver, but I can see 0.75 to 1 point/game as a freshman.

I would love Brink later in the 1st round if the Rangers get another 1st for Hayes.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
2 G and 4 SOG from Axel Bergkvist in Leksands IF J20's 6-1 victory over Philip Broberg's (1 G, 2 SOG) AIK J20 last night. Up to 11 G and 5 A in 15 SuperElit games this season to go with his already impressive production for Leksand in Allsvenskan.

Short and stocky LD (5'9, 201 lbs) with an apparently great shot. Summer birthday, should have been drafted last year, no excuse not to pick him this year.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
And my other favourite Swedish overager Samuel Fagemo had 2 A in Frölunda's 7-1 victory over SAIK. 10+10 in 33 games now, clearly leading U19 players in PPG.

For reference, Fagemo's D+1 NHLe (0.38) is tracking ahead of every the D+1 season (2017-18) of every 2017 draft pick outside the NHL other than EP40 (0.83) and Tolvanen (0.51). Ahead of Necas (0.37), Vesalainen (0.36), Andersson (0.31), Chytil (0.27), etc. And way ahead of the D+1 of every 2016 pick outside the NHL; Asplund (0.31), Puljujärvi (0.30), DeBrincat (0.30), Steel (0.28), Dahlén (0.28), Keller (0.28, though NCAA is probably a bit wonky).

Last edited:

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I've watched Fagemo in the U18s last year and a handful of Frolunda games this year. I really want to like him, and I do, but not enough for the first round.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

I think Lee’s best attribute is his poke checking, I like his gap control a lot. He has some flaws though and limited upside-his offense is slowing down as well (along with Hamaliuk’s)
I had him in my (late) 1st round around November but he’s falling hard

Johnson I’m not a fan of though, don’t get what people see in him

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Idk about skyrocketing up the charts.... he's between 20 and 30 on most lists right now, where do you think he'll actually get drafted? 15? I think that'd be my guess right now, though there's always a chance of someone going off the board, it's been a long time since we had a Blake wheeler huh? :D

Yeah I have him as a 15-20. I, personally, haven't seen lists that have him in that 20-30 range. Most I've seen had him in the 2nd round, which is criminally underrated there. Plays an up tempo offensive game. Very fun to watch!!

Reactions: Sarge13

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Can you give any opinions on the other draft eligible birds the next two years: mainly Dubicek, Rybinski, Bauer. Thanks !

Bauer - You won’t see it in the stats but Bauer is the top 2020 eligible on the team. He’s poised, light on his feet, makes good decisions, and is solid positionally. He doesn’t push the play yet offensively because Tyzska is his partner and likes to carry the puck. If Bauer gets more confidence offensively, he could be a major riser.

Kubicek - Very productive year. Currently hurt and didn’t play the game earlier this week. Good shot but seems like a perimeter player today. Would like to see him start creating more on his own.

Rybinski - I’ve only seen him play once and he was excellent for his age. Solid in both zones. Good passer. Almost a point per game since the trade from Medicine Hat. Can’t comment on him as much.

Reactions: Sarge13

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The Holland move has me thinking that they need to bring in some UDFA for Hartford next season, and why not start with the top CHL scorers? Pittsburgh and Tampa both found two great under-the-radar guys in Jordy Bellerive and Alex Boulet, and Hartford sorely needs to bring in a high-octane guy like that.

From the WHL, I've like Tristan Langan who is Howden's former teammate, which makes me believe the Rangers have had eyes on him for a while. Out of the O, Tye Felhaber has 54 goals in 57 games and was a ppg player in his 19 year old season. I don't really watch the Q, so I can't really speak to anyone from there, but they should just dump a truckload of money at whoever is Tampa's QMJHL scout and try to pilfer him from their organization.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The Holland move has me thinking that they need to bring in some UDFA for Hartford next season, and why not start with the top CHL scorers? Pittsburgh and Tampa both found two great under-the-radar guys in Jordy Bellerive and Alex Boulet, and Hartford sorely needs to bring in a high-octane guy like that.

From the WHL, I've like Tristan Langan who is Howden's former teammate, which makes me believe the Rangers have had eyes on him for a while. Out of the O, Tye Felhaber has 54 goals in 57 games and was a ppg player in his 19 year old season. I don't really watch the Q, so I can't really speak to anyone from there, but they should just dump a truckload of money at whoever is Tampa's QMJHL scout and try to pilfer him from their organization.

Felhaber is rumored to be signing with Dallas....

Dallas Stars land high-scoring free-agent prospect Tye...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad