Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Like Dorofeyev a lot, but his size (or lack there of worries me a bit. He is listed ass over 6 feet, but playing at 165?

Have Boldy a bit higher than you , but that top 8 is where it's at. Brink makes for a good late rounder.

Not really worried about the weight with Dorofeyev. He’s one of those guys I’m interested in several years down the line when his body closes the gap with some of his peers.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Softy on that 3rd one, but man Kakko's skill set is impressive. Crazy to see a kid who is 6'2 and still sneaks into open ice and high-danger areas on every shift. Hands to finish in close with a shot that can beat goalies from beyond the circles. Vision to set up teammates to boot. Really impressive kid.

Reactions: Sarge13

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Softy on that 3rd one, but man Kakko's skill set is impressive. Crazy to see a kid who is 6'2 and still sneaks into open ice and high-danger areas on every shift. Hands to finish in close with a shot that can beat goalies from beyond the circles. Vision to set up teammates to boot. Really impressive kid.

Rangers clearly had the foresight to make sure that Boo Nieves didn't hit the games played mark to keep him from being a UFA so that#24 is available for Kakko next year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Like Dorofeyev a lot, but his size (or lack there of worries me a bit. He is listed ass over 6 feet, but playing at 165?

Have Boldy a bit higher than you , but that top 8 is where it's at. Brink makes for a good late rounder.

Dorofeyev has already outgrown the MHL and has gone straight to the KHL where he is getting serious minutes regularly, on one of the better KHL teams. That's really impressive for an 18-year old. He is much more mature than you'd expect from a teenager in the KHL. Sure, the flashy plays aren't what sets him apart, like Podkolzin, but he is really solid in all 3 zones. He's the much more complete player and in many ways reminds me of Kravtsov.

Reactions: Joey Bones and Lays

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dorofeyev has already outgrown the MHL and has gone straight to the KHL where he is getting serious minutes regularly, on one of the better KHL teams. That's really impressive for an 18-year old. He is much more mature than you'd expect from a teenager in the KHL. Sure, the flashy plays aren't what sets him apart, like Podkolzin, but he is really solid in all 3 zones. He's the much more complete player and in many ways reminds me of Kravtsov.
Don't get me wrong, I like Dorofeyev a lot (only partly due to your brainwashing techniques). The body weight relative to the height raises some concerns for me, but I believe that he makes for a great mid first round pick. Am not yet convinced that he is top 10 or so, but in that 12-16 range he is very enticing.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I like Dorofeyev a lot (only partly due to your brainwashing techniques). The body weight relative to the height raises some concerns for me, but I believe that he makes for a great mid first round pick. Am not yet convinced that he is top 10 or so, but in that 12-16 range he is very enticing.

We are getting closer to my prediction. If he has a strong post-season, I could see him rise to the 8-12 range. That's probably as far as he could go. And if the Rangers draft him, you can be sure that I will travel to Riga, Bratislava and Helsinki again to watch him just like Kravtsov.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
wow. we agree on a good part of this.

ill focus on the top 15 players.

1-3 spot on. dach too high. hes 6 on my list. broberg too low at 12.

dylan cozens is going to be a stud. enormous potential to be a 1C guy.

after that its rearranging deck chairs from 4-10. all so close.

Dach and Cozens are close for me. Cozens is steadier, Dach is a bit more raw but probably has the slightly higher ceiling.

impressed that you have newhook in your top 8 (shhhh....) even though i think maybe thats a bit too high. kids gonna be the steal of this draft. he's my gem pick but 8 is too high. hell go top 12 though no doubt.

would love to have newhook pull on rangers sweater on draft day. stocky, strong with tree trunk thighs. great skater. effortless. going to BC which impresses me. plug him in as your future 2C and profit. big fan.

Always been a big fan of Newhook and have him in the top 5 to top 10 for more than a year now. I've seen nothing to change my opinion on that, even as certain other players have put themselves in the conversation.

My fantasy scenario is grabbing Byram at 6 and then having Newhook slip and grabbing him in the mid-teens. That's a best of both worlds type of outcome for me, and I'd be willing to sacrifice other picks to make it happen.

kaliyev at 15 is too low. i would not be surprised if hes off the board by pick 12. hes my other go to pick. i just think that ability to score will translate. one dimensional ? perhaps but hes no slouch up and down the ice. pure offensive weapon play and a huge boom pick. i absolutely take him after the top 10 are gone.

lavoie too low.

Kaliyev is in that tier of guys who have some elasticity in where they're ranked. I put him at 15, but I wouldn't argue against someone having him as high as 11.

Never been a huge fan of Lavoie. I'd take him in the 20s, but there's too many other guys who I like ahead of him, who are younger, and carry fewer question marks.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Anaheim is probably going to pick 3rd or 4th overall and take Dach. Getzlaf will retire in a couple of years and Anaheim won't miss a beat with Dach incoming. I couldn't think of a better mentor for that kid than Getzlaf.

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Fagemo with 1+1, +1 and 5 SOG in a 4-2 win against Mora last night to extend his point streak to 6 games (8 points over that span). Up to 11-11-22 in 34 SHL GP. If he keeps this up I will probably rank him ahead of Broberg.

For reference Fagemo is having the 2nd best U19 season in SHL, behind William Nylander's 2014-15 (though only 21 GP), in terms of production since the Sedins in 1998-99 (EP40 was a U20 player in his D+1).

Edit: Michael Lindqvist has been fantastic since his return to Sweden, leading the league in PPG with 12+12 in 24 GP. Shame he didn't get a legit shot in pre-season (IMO) and he apparently lost his joy for the game in Hartford (which would explain his disappointing play).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers743

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Is the age difference why there is such a big discrepancy with how Podkolzin is viewed compared to Dorofreyev? Dorofreyev has torched the MHL this season (17-14-31 in 19 games played, 1.63ppg). He also got the promotion to the KHL and has 2 points in 23 games.

Podkolzin looked electric when I saw him, but his lack of production to match that skill set is rather surprising.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Is the age difference why there is such a big discrepancy with how Podkolzin is viewed compared to Dorofreyev? Dorofreyev has torched the MHL this season (17-14-31 in 19 games played, 1.63ppg). He also got the promotion to the KHL and has 2 points in 23 games.

Podkolzin looked electric when I saw him, but his lack of production to match that skill set is rather surprising.

Yeah I don't get it. Is there offense there? Or our scouts weighing that U18 showing more than anything else?

I get that the complete game, fire, and motor are there. But is he super skilled? If he was, then why isn't he torching the Russian junior league? There have been much lesser players who scorched that league.

Are we talking about a glorified 3rd liner in reality?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If we pick in the top 10 and go with Podkolzin or Broberg i'm going to riot, would be awful picks imo.
I like Broberg if we're picking in the teens.

Podkolzin, I'd be ecstatic with. I don't see him dropping out of the top 5.

What don't you like about Pod?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
18-19 mhl vhl khl combined numbers are weak and his recent U20 numbers are worse. how hes rated so high over all ( average 3-5 OA) with production like that in his draft year is beyond me.

i see a faller on draft day as teams shy away from his lack of real production plus some rumblings about wanting to stay in russia for a while.

having said all that, when you watch the kid he oozes hockey skill and smarts. as much as im all in on stats and production especially draft year numbers, i also realize you make decisions on prospects on their overall skill set and how that translates going forward.

this guy has all the "stuff". he really does.

if he falls out of the top 10 right into our lap i would be stoked.

if we some how go this way on day 1

dylan cozens
vas podkolzin

i would be giddy like a school girl

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I am getting more and more to the point where I would take Dorofeyev over Podkolzin. I know nobody agrees with me, but I think Dorofeyev will have the better career.

It will be a Kuznetsov vs Tarasenko type debate (in terms of upside and comparison, not style)

Reactions: Joey Bones

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Podkolzin seems like a better Hagelin to me, how much his better offensive abilities translates into points, I don’t know, but that’s what I think of every time I see him

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If we pick in the top 10 and go with Podkolzin or Broberg i'm going to riot, would be awful picks imo.
I usually like your read on things. Broberg I agree on you with. Podzolkin I'm ambivalent on. Who do you like best this year outside of Hughes and Kakko?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad