Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

New England kid. RHD.

They must have seen him play a lot when they scouted Makar a few years back in the Alberta Junior League.

I watched a handful of Michigan State Games this winter and he never really stood out to me, or maybe too busy watching Hirose ;)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah but do Zegras and Newhook fall to the mid teens?
Newhook may. Zegras, I want to say no but as Edge makes the point of people coming into the top 10, someone has to drop out. Take someone like Kayliev. Just because I do not like him as a one trick pony, someone may well get enticed by the one thing that he does well. And he is having a good season. Or someone like a Broberg. Someone may get enticed by the speed/skills and decide that he is their future #1. That would mean that someone has to slide out of that 10-12 range.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Brink, Caulfield or Dorofeyev...who’s everyone’s choice and why?
Caufiield. I don't know what it is but I've been drawn to Caufield from the beginning. I see Gaudreau in Caufield.

I never watched Doro play but that namee.... oof.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That’s how I’m leaning.

I've seen a lot of him. Seems very composed. What sealed it for me is how well he played with Kravtsov and even off the ice how close they were. It's difficult to explain. You just pick a player based on feelings you get during a game. He and Kravtsov were talking every time they were on the bench together. That's just the feeling I got. That doesn't even take the on ice performance into consideration. Which is really impressive for a teenager

Reactions: Lone Ranger

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've seen a lot of him. Seems very composed. What sealed it for me is how well he played with Kravtsov and even off the ice how close they were. It's difficult to explain. You just pick a player based on feelings you get during a game. He and Kravtsov were talking every time they were on the bench together. That's just the feeling I got. That doesn't even take the on ice performance into consideration. Which is really impressive for a teenager
you felt the tingle downstairs :sarcasm:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

My gut feeling is that he’s the typical Ranger unpredictable selection that fans aren’t keyed into, similar to Chytil, Miller and Lundkvist. I could see them trade up from the Jets’ pick to get him.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's a feeling. But yeah. I followed him more than others that tournament because of the stuff I noticed pre-game during warm ups and post-game.
Yeah, I'm just messing with you.. but I do know what you're talking about...

It's the innate feeling you get watching the player... You know he's going to be good... he has 'it'

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Caufield is too talented to ignore, and for us we have a little bit more vested interest since he's going to play with K'Andre at Wisconsin.

Caufield has a nice shot and his goalscoring is very impressive, but also makes such consistently accurate tape-to-tape passes even at long distances and difficult angles.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Newhook may. Zegras, I want to say no but as Edge makes the point of people coming into the top 10, someone has to drop out. Take someone like Kayliev. Just because I do not like him as a one trick pony, someone may well get enticed by the one thing that he does well. And he is having a good season. Or someone like a Broberg. Someone may get enticed by the speed/skills and decide that he is their future #1. That would mean that someone has to slide out of that 10-12 range.

I touched on it a little last week when we were talking about Soderstrom possibly make an appearance in the top 10. And I feel that way about Cam York too.

As much as we hear talk of how this is a forward heavy first round, it's possible that this year's first round has only five or so less defenseman taken.

One guy I keep flip-flopping into the top 10 with is Boldy. Not soldy :propeller

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Caufield is too talented to ignore, and for us we have a little bit more vested interest since he's going to play with K'Andre at Wisconsin.

Caufield has a nice shot and his goalscoring is very impressive, but also makes such consistently accurate tape-to-tape passes even at long distances and difficult angles.
I’m generally very wary of prospects who are primarily goalscorers because I think they’re really hard to figure out which ones will translate up a few levels, but Caufield’s offensive skill set is so well rounded that even when he doesn’t score at a goal-per-game clip, I think he’ll still be an effective offensive player

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, I'm just messing with you.. but I do know what you're talking about...

It's the innate feeling you get watching the player... You know he's going to be good... he has 'it'

You can tell a lot about a player's maturity by the way they behave once they get back to the bench. I like to sit behind the bench and observe that. That's why, when I post photos of games I attend, it's usually in that spot. Here are a few photos from games I've attended the last 2 years. Maybe it's just me, but I really feel like I get a good understanding of which players have that little extra by seeing their behavior on the bench.

53705903_10156448564593075_6112947963653259264_o.jpg

41991302_10156080880373075_448679522422751232_o.jpg

40418490_10156040110103075_5194434508362874880_o.jpg

31093343_10155756840548075_7915490654828888064_o.jpg

26024178_10155462714953075_1046369437347451105_o.jpg

24173940_10155388927633075_4576490641777199168_o.jpg

22047700_10155229333573075_8796062656653199109_o.jpg

Reactions: Joey Bones

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I made the argument that the talent and offensive ability was not nearly as far apart as some were making it out to be. I cited all kinds of numbers, provided context, etc.

There was a lot of resistance to Farabee's offensive potential and ability.

I'll repeat what I said last year, I think this kid has a great shot at making people wonder how they missed him in his draft year.

not from me.

he was my guy last draft.

local cns kid. he's got all the tools to be a big time player. great kid too.

Reactions: Edge

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
My concern with Caufield is how similar his situation is to Wahlstrom's. His production is unquestionably inflated by playing with Hughes (and Zegras and Turcotte) and I think it's tough to tell what happens when he's reliant on more average line mates to set him up. There's just a risk / uncertainty in translating his historical production forward that I think is more significant than you get with Dorofoyev or Brink.

I would take Brink, who is scoring at the same rate as Caufield in the USHL, despite playing with worse linemates and being 6 months younger over him.

I like Dorofoyev, but I think the Kravstov comparison is a little generous. Kravstov scored at 2-3x the rate of Dorofeyev in his pre-draft year and his contribution percentage would have been 3-5x as high. Guys like Shvryrov, Manukyan, and Shafigullin put up better pre-draft MHL production than Dorofeyev and they were mid-round picks. On top of that, Dorofeyev is one of the oldest players in the draft. I'd be happy to draft Dorofeyev, but I'd prefer him in the 2nd (Bob McKenzie's scout poll has him at the top of the 3rd) and definitely not with our top first round pick.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This is the least relevant thing when judging prospects

not really if you think. keep in mind, my comment wasnt that hes a player because hes from the same town as i am from. hardly.

ive been following this kid for many years and was aware of his talent way back. way before you im sure. the more you know and see of a player, the more you can have an informed take ? no

ive seen him play in person countless times.

joel farabee is super talented, skates beautifully, can score and is one of the most coachable kids to ever pass thru the us developmental program.

hes from my town, who cares. kids a special talent.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Not awful, but I would pass. Lavoie is a player I completely stay away from in the first round. Now, should he drop to the second, sure.

inspite of the intense shade being thrown this kids way, he isnt going to be anywhere near round 2. thats just crazy talk.

even though many here dont like the kids overall package- me NOT included, hes going to be a mid 1st round selection.

if we had cozens and lavoie i would be stoked with that round 1.

lavoie wont go top 10 but top 20 ?? sure will

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Yeah but do Zegras and Newhook fall to the mid teens?

newhook will go top 15 or so.

too much talent there. hes without a doubt my "hidden gem" forward pick in the draft.

kids a true centerman. high end skater. perhaps right up there with hughes or a step (small) below as far as skating goes.

kid produces numbers and plays in every situation. BC is getting is stud whos smart and creative. built solid too. good strong frame.

alex newhook mid 1st round is exactly where hell go and hopefully where we snag him after we move up.

Reactions: Bluenote13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You can tell a lot about a player's maturity by the way they behave once they get back to the bench. I like to sit behind the bench and observe that. That's why, when I post photos of games I attend, it's usually in that spot. Here are a few photos from games I've attended the last 2 years. Maybe it's just me, but I really feel like I get a good understanding of which players have that little extra by seeing their behavior on the bench.

Well, in fairness, the behind the bench photos are less disturbing than the photos you take of them while hiding in the bushes near their apartments, or rummaging through their trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig